Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Splinter cell conviction

• 04-07-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hey guys ,

Im just looking at what you guys think of this game ?
    Im looking at trading in the new ufc game against this and wondering what the general consensus is on the game ? I enjoy metal gear solid EXCEPT for ALL THE MOVIES ! !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Played it a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it, one player is a bit on the short side tho, make sure to play it on Realistic. But there is a totally different co-op campaign too. Very satisfying killing people from the shadows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

As above but I got no joy from co-up unless playing with people from my friends list or one's I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

got this in zavvi's mega monday sale the other week for 20 squid, am really enjoying it atm. As jenno says it's really satisfying executing kills without anyone noticing. Also the co-op mode is really fun, and there are a handful of other MP modes also. I'd definitly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Played it , didn’t like it much , graphics were desperate .

In general the game felt dated, didn’t feel like it progressed in the series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Loved it! Would recommend picking it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

love it, i actually got the original xbox all thos years go for splinter cell, being a big fan since, loved this one, its way different from the other splinter cells but its a good improvement

if you like MGS you should like this... my xbox ruined the SC disc on me though, might pick it up again for cheap and finish the last co op level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

grimm2005 wrote: »
    got this in zavvi's mega monday sale the other week for 20 squid

Hells bells thats a great price, its 45.99 in the local xtravision.

Whats the story with co-op? Is it all tactical or how does it work??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

sounds good i think i may pick it up today or tomorrow , thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

This will be the first Xbox game i buy. Just as soon as the 16th rolls in.

Can't wait.....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

zavvi have it in the mega monday sale 22.99 i think well worth it. Great game a little more Jack Bauer than Sam fisher not totally a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

One of the best games I've played for ages. Absolutely loved the co-op mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Hells bells thats a great price, its 45.99 in the local xtravision.

Whats the story with co-op? Is it all tactical or how does it work??

and it's back again this week: http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/tom-clancy-s-splinter-cell-conviction/10047707.html

co-op is pretty much the same as single player except it has it's own story and is customised for 2 people to play through. There's also a few other co-op mp modes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I loved this game. I hadn't really played a splinter cell game before so I was new to the series. Great gameplay and using tactics and gadgets to clear out a room undetected was brilliant.

The game is short but if you play on Realistic difficulty you should probably get about 7 hours out of single player. If you have a buddy (like i did) then the game doubles in value as there are some great Co-op modes in the game as well.

I'd say 4 star as a single player game and 5 star if you have a friend to play through the co-op with.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

I'm not an avid SC player, but it's a very good game. Better than any other one I've played. Co-op mode is very good, so long as you're paired with someone who's half-decent at the game.

I'm just a bit confused about how this game is meant to be played. Is it supposed to be a full on action game or stealth. Cause it doesn't seem to be very stealthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

weiland79 wrote: »
    I'm just a bit confused about how this game is meant to be played. Is it supposed to be a full on action game or stealth. Cause it doesn't seem to be very stealthy

Stealth. However, if you do get caught they give you better options to fight back.

I enjoyed the game and can see why they had to change the gameplay up a bit. They couldn't continue using the same formula over and over again. Co-op is great as well.

Agreed that more of the same would have been boring, but I'm on the second level at the mo and i don't even have a silenced weapon which seems odd. I kind of feel like I'm playing Socom in this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Loved the original splinter cells, this is less of a stealth game but still very enjoyable. The use of the execution mechanic pretty much forces you to engage enemies, it never gets old but it's nearly impossible to play the game without entering into combat. You can still kill quietly, but if you enjoyed simply sneaking past enemies or utilizing some of Sam's high tech arsenal (my favourite aspect), that's mostly gone.

I rented it, it's a perfect rental game really. Short campaign, loaded with quality and a great co-op mode. There isn't really much more to the game than that, it's well executed (ho-ho) but it's more Die Hard than Bourne Identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You can play it anyway you want. A good guide is to look at the unlockable stuff, if you try and complete those in game challenges it will show you how to play the game properly and you will get some nice kit in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Essentially the game is like 24-esque now.

Especially in that level in which
    you're chasing that guy in Washington.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Loved the original splinter cells, this is less of a stealth game but still very enjoyable. The use of the execution mechanic pretty much forces you to engage enemies, it never gets old but it's nearly impossible to play the game without entering into combat. You can still kill quietly, but if you enjoyed simply sneaking past enemies or utilizing some of Sam's high tech arsenal (my favourite aspect), that's mostly gone.

I rented it, it's a perfect rental game really. Short campaign, loaded with quality and a great co-op mode. There isn't really much more to the game than that, it's well executed (ho-ho) but it's more Die Hard than Bourne Identity.

yeah didnt like it at first but i got used to it, it is kinda fun, i used to love sneaking past gaurds and traps and timing stuff right instead of just going balls out and killing people, it is prety much 24

I'm just at the Middle east level.

Is it possible to get through sectons without alerting or engaging enemies. I'm playing on realistic.

I'm just at the Middle east level.

Is it possible to get through sectons without alerting or engaging enemies. I'm playing on realistic.
    Awsome-o

not sure, i think you have to engage in combat in almost every situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That's the biggest departure from the old Splinter Cells. You can get through without alerts, but you generally have to engage enemies (mark and execute) to progress. The mission you're on now is quite combat heavy from what I remember.

I miss being able to go through a whole mission sneakily without much combat, but I guess the mark and execute stuff is a nice addition.

same i used to love timing your runs and watching the gaurds to plan the best route around, first time i had to engage in combat i spent ages trying to figure out how to get around without having to engage in it, but you get used to it

That's the biggest departure from the old Splinter Cells. You can get through without alerts, but you generally have to engage enemies (mark and execute) to progress. The mission you're on now is quite combat heavy from what I remember.

I miss being able to go through a whole mission sneakily without much combat, but I guess the mark and execute stuff is a nice addition.

I haven't really gotten into the mark and execute system yet.
    I've been trying to play it like the previous games.

I had a quick look at a walkthrough for that level, and they recommend that you don't bother with stealth, and that you just blast your way through.
    Which is a little dissapointing for a SC title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I enjoyed Conviction, but it was a bit too different from previous SC games. There weren't enough pure stealth moments; Sam's perfectly capable of killing everyone.

As a 24 fan, I loved the action. The Mark and Execute system is a bit too much of a win button, but it's a seriously satisfying one!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I would of liked to have been a bit more forced to play stealthily.
    I ended up just shooting everyone whenever I got a bit stuck which you simply couldn't get away with(unless extremely lucky) in the old games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Connavar wrote: »
    I would of liked to have been a bit more forced to play stealthily.
    I ended up just shooting everyone whenever I got a bit stuck which you simply couldn't get away with(unless extremely lucky) in the old games

yea i agree, while i thought it was a great game, I found it way to hard to play stealthy on in some parts

• Advertisement

yeah combat situations was pretty hard in the old one, but usually got away with it, got stuck on some bits for a long time, especially that level where you have to rescue the chinese hostages in the barn/stable in a previous game, i only saved it a few mins prior to it and had almost zero health and got stuck for a good 30 mins doing the same bit about 15 times

i only played every splinter cell prior to the new one coming out so i'd get the story back, turns out almost everything in the previous games was pretty irrelevant for the new one, oh well not a bad change, just a different way of playing

Advertisement