Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSC in Computer Science (Conversion Course)

Options
  • 04-07-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey, just looking at this course in UCD and was wondering if anyone has done it or knows somone who has done it? is it any good and what are the job prospects for someone who completes it? currently have a law degree but i'm not too enthusiastic about persuing a career in this area.thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

you say you are not enthuasiastic about pursuing a career in this area ?

you are interested in Msc Computer Science and/or Masters in E-Business.

the aforementioned are very different areas..and will require as much if not more of a vocation/enthuasiasm to have a career in.

every college in Ireland seems to have a 1 year course in Computer Science and/or E-Business at the moment. theres not going to be a job for everyone that is doing these courses.

I don't think its possible to become a master in an area after 1 year in college ( especially when not combined with relevant work experience ). And I'd imagine that employers would broadly hold similar beliefs.

look at the Fas WPP program or the http://www.webactivate.ie ( these may well be your options at the end of doing one of said Msc's anyway )

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Nice find OP - this is a course I wouldn't mind doing myself. I assume its full time right? I wonder if they do it part-time too?

I don't think its possible to become a master in an area after 1 year in college ( especially when not combined with relevant work experience ).

I've done a conversion masters in DIT already, with many modules shared with other MSc's which were occupied by those who had primary degrees in the area. I not only out performed these guys in college, but I also beat some of them to secure a highly contested scholarship for a PhD in the area right after the MSc, which I actually left after 5 months to accept a job offer with one of the best companies in the industry. So you're comments about succeeding in academia or your chosen profession with a conversion MSc are not well grounded. Anyhow, I think this is the equivalent of 2 college years, not 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Nice find OP - this is a course I wouldn't mind doing myself. I assume its full time right? I wonder if they do it part-time too?

I've done a conversion masters in DIT already, with many modules shared with other MSc's which were occupied by those who had primary degrees in the area. I not only out performed these guys in college, but I also beat some of them to secure a highly contested scholarship for a PhD in the area right after the MSc, which I actually left after 5 months to accept a job offer with one of the best companies in the industry. So you're comments about succeeding in academia or your chosen profession with a conversion MSc are not well grounded. Anyhow, I think this is the equivalent of 2 college years, not 1.

You have not disproved my point by your claims of having outperformed your peers.

I shouldn't have said that it is empirically 100% impossible to achieve mastery of such a broad subject such as Computer Science in 1 year.. but its bloody close to 100%.

in fact your post could be telling us a lot about the quality of the undergrad qualifications of your peers.

there is a debate that there has been grade inflation in all sectors of education in ireland over the last few years and this hasn't gone unnoticed by employers ( and as a recent masters graduate it doesn't shock me either ).

I wouldn't want anyone who has done a degree in Law being under any illusions that doing a Msc in Computer Science ( or ebusiness as the OP asked in another thread ) is going to be a ticket to a more "enthuasiastic career".

If he or she was coming from an engineering or science background I would be less reluctant to advise caution ( they'd have a better idea of what they were getting themselves into )

Finally - I believe that you need to have something approaching a vocation or a calling to suceed in the IT and eBusiness industry.

health warning : just my 6c..after all I don't claim to be a master in this area :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

You have not disproved my point by your claims of having outperformed your peers.

I shouldn't have said that it is empirically 100% impossible to achieve mastery of such a broad subject such as Computer Science in 1 year.. but its bloody close to 100%.

It's actually 1.5 academic years and not just 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Yeah fair enough gollem I can see your point but as with any course it's all about what you put in rather than duration etc. andnits not beyond the realms of possibility that the OP can go on to have a successful careers in E business or whatever. And I can appreciate that certain areas require a longer period of time to build a solid foudation of knowledge in.

I think my success is more a reflection of my my round the clock studying rather than a low standard of peers - you bitch :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Qwert1 wrote: »
    Hey, just looking at this course in UCD and was wondering if anyone has done it or knows somone who has done it? is it any good and what are the job prospects for someone who completes it? currently have a law degree but i'm not too enthusiastic about persuing a career in this area.thanks for any info.

I was very interested in this course until they told me it is only delivered full-time. How useless is that? I have met at least five people who were going to apply but then found part-time wasn't an option.

Disappointing. Even more since it's UCD. You would think they can afford to run it part-time but no! They run other MSc courses in the same faculty both part-time and full-time, except this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Hello Andrewire,
    How much attendance is required weekly on this course FT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Whammytime

Qwert1 wrote: »

I am in my final year of a law degree and am in the same boat you were in, thinking of a conversion course in computer science.

Did it work out? Was it maths intensive? I was thinking of an alternative course in ecommerce as well but my choice will depend on how difficult this computer science masters is and how good the job prospects are.

Would appriciate any advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thedodger

Hi guys, I'm interested in that course as well. It seems it's subsidised as part of the Graduate Skills Conversion programme. I can't find out the eligibility criteria though. Do you need to have been on the dole prior to entry or resident in Ireland for a certain period? Ive been working abroad for a few years so wondering if Id still get the reduced fees.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

no, you'll qualify, just apply for the course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Hi, just wondering if anyone who's actually been on this course could comment on how good it is? What were the employment prospects once you graduated?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Roro4Brit wrote: »

This isn't directed at you personally btw...

degree's are just passing exams, it doesn't actually mean you're an expert or anything like it in whatever the degrees in.

Most people of average intelligence or people who're able to put in a bit of effort will get a degree.

You could have a degree in something & actually know very little about it.

yet the leaving cert gets criticised every year about people just learning stuff off etc. while third level isn't exactly a million miles from this and not a word said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

One last try, can anyone comment on this course, whether it was worth it and what employment opportunities were when graduated?

Advertisement