Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Sportive 2010 August 15th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Participation for me is lift dependant.

Velo, I will be travelling from Killester. Where are you? I have no problem making a detour to pick you up.

I suspect the answer will be "Wexford"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Hey lafors : the numbers are creeping up at the moment so I would expect to have between close enough to 100 riders on the day.

101 now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Ok, here we go....this is the wall apparently.

And this is what you're lookin at when yer baytin yer way up it.....

the_wall.jpg

Looking at the route map, it looks like we come down this from Glencree, not up it. Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

EMPM wrote: »
    Looking at the route map, it looks like we come down this from Glencree, not up it. Is this correct?

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Are you sure that is correct? From my reading of the map the route goes up that short road to join onto the Old Long Hill road. "The wall" is the bit of road at roughly about the 20-mile mark, right?

• Advertisement

doozerie wrote: »
    Are you sure that is correct? From my reading of the map the route goes up that short road to join onto the Old Long Hill road. "The wall" is the bit of road at roughly about the 20-mile mark, right?

Sorry folks. Doozerie is correct. Read the question wrong. The route goes from Enniskerry up to Glencree and then back down Ballinagee before climbing the wall which will bring you out to Djouse road before heading towards Roundwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭redved

Quick question. I'm half thinking of doing this.
    Only problem is with all this talk of the Wall, is it possible for someone who's typical spin is 60-70k to do this. Should add avg speed is low 20's kph

Will I need to bring lights for my bike as i cycle solo back to Sandyford :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You should be fine. It will be tough but just hang with a group of similar ability and enjoy the day. It's not a race.

People place far too much emphasis on average speed. In the end it's dependent on weather, route, terrain, etc.

It's a sportive, don't fret!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    You should be fine. It will be tough but just hang with a group of similar ability and enjoy the day. It's not a race.

People place far too much emphasis on average speed. In the end it's dependent on weather, route, terrain, etc.

It's a sportive, don't fret!

I'm no expert and I'm already resigned to dismounting at the wall-if it happens it happens. On the plus side the climb to Sally Gap past Luggala is doable and the climb on Military Road from Laragh to Shay Elliott is not nearly as bad as many might think.

Most important point raised above as far as I'm concerned-it's not a race (that's the mantra I'll be using anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Are we nearly there yet....

Ghosty

Just back from a cycle this morning and went up "The Wall" as its been called here by a few posters. Very short climb up to Djouce from the hill at the entrance to Powerscourt Waterfall.

How did you find that beauty... I have gone by the turn off for it a load of times but never gone up it to meet the Long Hill up Djouce. Folks 20% gradient in places!!!! Anyway its very short (only about 400m long) so worst case you can take a break or join the hill walkers

This is going to be one dinger of a cycle.

Roll on Sunday and forecast looks great

• Advertisement

Just to mirror what's being said : this is no means a race and if some guys treat it as such then they're in the wrong event.

Our matra for this event is to have great food and great marshalling. That means getting everyone around safely and to ensure that they have a great day. Ye all have paid good money to enter and deserve the best experience possible.

To quote our touring leader : 'its not being there, it's getting there'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I should be present at this.

Just 24 hours remain before the online registration closes so if you haven't already entered, do so now to avail of the 5 euro discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Velo, I will be travelling from Killester. Where are you? I have no problem making a detour to pick you up.

I suspect the answer will be "Wexford"!

Actually N. Kildare. Thanks for the offer:). 99.9% sure of a lift on the day. Note to organiser I'll pay on the day if thats OK. Can't quit commit until the day itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

maybe this question automatically rules me out, but what is a sportive exactly? I am pretty sure I can do the distance, but i'm not a cyclist with a club and would be fairly off the pace of such guys (and girls). I wouldn't want to do it if i was going to end up on my own for the whole thing. Sure, I could do that any day of the week!! So, will there be slow cyclists like me, just doing it for the day out, like the Ring of Kerry event would have had?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes, see the related thread about beginners doing the Orwell sportive, it's around here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

it looks like from the respones on teh other thread that there will be a good a few of us slow ones/newbies doing it so sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

Remember to bring your best poker-face for "the wall" - the camera man's lens will find any sign of weakness :D
    Ghosty

Just back from a cycle this morning and went up "The Wall" as its been called here by a few posters. Very short climb up to Djouce from the hill at the entrance to Powerscourt Waterfall.

How did you find that beauty... I have gone by the turn off for it a load of times but never gone up it to meet the Long Hill up Djouce. Folks 20% gradient in places!!!! Anyway its very short (only about 400m long) so worst case you can take a break or join the hill walkers

This is going to be one dinger of a cycle.

Roll on Sunday and forecast looks great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Yes, see the related thread about beginners doing the Orwell sportive, it's around here somewhere.

This is it zulutango:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055986769

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The route for this is a1. would love to do it but family commitments this weekend take precedent. Getting out in a group spin is a great buzz and if you're a bit hesitant then go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm in. Need to test out what 183km on energy gels feels like.

Now for the tricky bit, what to wear. Orwell kit, boards kit, orwell kit, boards kit...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm in. Need to test out what 183km on energy gels feels like.

Now for the tricky bit, what to wear. Orwell kit, boards kit, orwell kit, boards kit...

Only gels?

I'm thinking Orwell jersey with boards shorts... I know it's wrong, but hey, such are my loyalties, and i think the boards shorts are slightly more comfy for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    Only gels?

I'm thinking Orwell jersey with boards shorts... I know it's wrong, but hey, such are my loyalties, and i think the boards shorts are slightly more comfy for the long haul.

Yes, only gels.

I'll go for orwell shorts and a boards jersey, then it'll look like we dressed each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Yes, only gels.

Aldi cereal bars and cut-up jam sambo's for me. Hey Lumen perhaps we can finally compare our BB90 bottom brackets.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

niceonetom wrote: »

I was thinking the exact same combo! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Yes, only gels.

I'll go for orwell shorts and a boards jersey, then it'll look like we dressed each other.

Only gels ! they ll taste gank after a few hours ..

Coke, high5 4-1 and snickers bars and kellogs bars are my food of choice for the long haul

levitronix wrote: »
    Only gels ! they ll taste gank after a few hours ..

Coke, high5 4-1 and snickers bars and kellogs bars are my food of choice for the long haul

Lads, I wouldn't be packing too much as we have a stack of food (including coke) at the feedstop. Plus chances are you'll be drinking those snickers bars if the weather forecast is to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Will there be spares available tomorrow, in particular spare tyres? Just checked mine and the front has some alarming wear on the sides, the inner thread casing is visible. Conti GP4000, very bizarre. Would like to replace it before going down any hills :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

In. Last minute. Bike shiny. Bed. See you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have to iron my new Boards togs.

Advertisement