Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Sportive 2010 August 15th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Erm, seriously, anyone got a spare tyre they can bring tomorrow? will pay obviously. Preferably something light like a GP4000 or Ultremo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Planet X wrote: »
    In. Last minute. Bike shiny. Bed. See you.

Um, why do I suddenly feel guilty/stupid sitting here with a Heino in my paw?

....and two more in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lukester wrote: »
    Erm, seriously, anyone got a spare tyre they can bring tomorrow? will pay obviously. Preferably something light like a GP4000 or Ultremo.

Sure. PM me to confirm you want it. I've always wanted to cycle along with a tyre over my shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Um, why do I suddenly feel guilty/stupid sitting here with a Heino in my paw?

....and two more in the fridge

Cheers!!

*raises glass to screen*

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Lumen wrote: »
    Sure. PM me to confirm you want it. I've always wanted to cycle along with a tyre over my shoulder.

?????

bobet_l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Folks - saw this thread yesterday. Have pass for tomorrow so will hopefully see you guys there (at least at the start!). Need to get bike legs sorted again for another event coming up and this sounds just like the kind of thing, weather organised too I see - great stuff. Debating betwen Boards top and Swords shorts or all Swords kit.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Cheers!!

*raises glass to screen*

Phew

You are a gent.

When I calmed down from my panic I remembered I had put cheapo Schwalbe Luganos in 700x23 on the fixed gear recently, so grabbed one of those. They're beaded, and heavy, but I'd rather not have to get my hands dirty in the morning changing tyres, especially as I'll have done my nails before bed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I only own one pair of cycling shorts and one jersey so choice of attire is not a problem. I just necked a beer and the missus has fallen asleep on the couch - her substantial glass of wine will not go to waste.

A banana and Tesco 'finest' cereal bars will get me to the food stop. None of that 'market value' ****e for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Where is this starting from? The link on the Orwell site isn't working properly.

Debating whether to drive or cycle. Anyone spinning over from the north side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭buffalo

chakattack wrote: »
    Where is this starting from? The link on the Orwell site isn't working properly.

Debating whether to drive or cycle. Anyone spinning over from the north side?

Starts from St Olaf's, which is on Holly Avenue in Sandyford Industrial Estate.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dublin,+County+Fingal,+Ireland&ll=53.280929,-6.220037&spn=0.001851,0.004823&t=h&z=18

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Had to go to bed after that! Tough gig.

192km and 2260m in 8hrs riding today for me. Almost a Wicklow 200.

Disappointingly slow and painful though. I am not good enough for 39x25. :(

Nice route, perfect marshalling, but could have done with a hot drink at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Stats for the day;
    Distance 170km
    Time 6:15 and a few seconds.
    Average speed 27.1Kph
    Max. Speed 72Kph
    God knows how much climbing!

Big thanks first of all to the organisers, marshalls, chefs, helpers who put together a great day. It was tough. No Garmin so no figure on climbing but I'll add another 250m for my journey home.

Many new roads to me and one or two tricky descents were I fell off the back of the lead group a couple of times as we headed towards the feed stop. On the way it was climbing or descending, nothing inbetween. As for 'The Wall' well I'm claiming fastest ascent (if Patrick O'Brien isn't looking in). It was a steady enough hard climb but I wasn't expecting what was up the road-only the other way up Old Long Hill!! Now that was tough.

Dirkvoodoo did some mega work at the front early on and blew the thing apart on the very first climb. We got to the water stop at Luggala and I can tell you it couldn't have come sooner. We were all nearly out of fluids at that stage. Typically I lost the back of the lead group going down to Laragh though more to do with trying to stuff food down my gob.

I think the most important thing was eating consistantly. I had enough cereal bars plus some sandwich squares with jam. Anyway out of Laragh and onto the Shay Elliot. I flew up it averaging 20-22Kph but freaked at the descent. Crap surface and that fecking Bridge!

Great spread at the food stop. If the entire Eastern Brigade of the Irish army were marching through I'm sure there was enough to feed them. Niceonetom was quick to get back on his bike and get back, perhaps with 'victory' on his mind! I joined up with Aussie Chris initially then two other lads joined us and we made good progress along rolling roads. The route back was nearly as tough as the route out. A fair headwind and no chance to spin leisurely along with so many drags and blind corners.

Finally we started seeing some landmarks, notably Sugarloaf, and knew home was near. As we got into suburban areas, I was a good lad and tried to obey traffic lights but the other lads kept going. Finally the industrial park and some more food. Finished in the second group. Apparently Niceonetom did win the sprint. Chapeau. Recognised some more Boardies(Cadex?and a couple of others) tough no time for chatting. Didn't get to meet Lumen properly. GIHTH and Caroline_ie did a great job. NOT strong as usual. Meant to get some chatting-up tips from Dirk, perhaps next time!

Excellent day finished off with potatoes, coleslaw, chicken grills and cherry ice-cream. Sorry if account was a bit boring, I can assure you the day wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭neris

was my 1st sportive and very enjoyable although i feel like ive just climbed every mountain in wicklow. I take it wall was the climb after the powerscourt waterfall. Well done to orwell and the guys and girls who looked after the marshalling water and photos. Food was very welcome during and after. Was a fair kick off that curry. Took me about 7 hours but just wanted to get around the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Great day and very well run. The marshalling was top class and the food at the stop was fantastic - the carrot cake was the business. Nice bit of grub at the end too.

I was very happy with my performance up to the food stop. My climbing was good and I was passing people on the big climbs (my descending was not quite so successful). Things went a bit downhill (if you excuse the pun) after the food stop. I took off with Frank Grimes and Polaris and probably stuck with them a little too long as they were stonger than me. The problem I had was that I was getting pain in my mid back and I couldn't take deep breaths (I can still feel it now in back and ribs). This slowed me down a lot on the rolling roads and I didn't really recover until near Enniskerry. In fairness, it was probably caused by the efforts I had put in on the climbs so no excuses - some people are just harder than me. However, I was only passed by a couple of people on the way back although this was more down to how spread out it had become.

Nice to meet all the boardsies and others. Got back around 3.25. Think it started a few minutes late. I'll deduct 40 mins for the stops so claim 5:35 for 135 kms or a not very impressive 24.18 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I'm tired and sunburnt

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

153.3km in 6hr 30mins and over 5000 calories of effort for me, jesus it seemed at times the whole thing was uphill, 2500m of climbing in one day is definatly a first time for me. Had a really nice day, with the exception of the wicklow100 i'd never ridden in a large group, and never on a road bike. So the start was exciting for me. Although after the first 50km it was back to the solo people and small groups until the food stop. After which I only encountered about 10 people in total.

The long long drag up to roundwood after lunch was the hardest part for me, just dragged and dragged and someone had told me after shay elliot the hard part was over. Little bit of internal pedal rage going on but it got me there. Getting to roundwood lifted my spirts a lot though and got me going again. Really happy with today. My legs held out really well, resting my knees for 5 days worked wonders even if it meant taking a bit longer than usual to get into a flow. Was expensive but great enthusiastic marshaling and a decent lunch was fine by me, some bananas and sweets or someth along the route would have been nice but I didn't ask so maybe there was.

Met a few boardsies briefly for little bits of chat, I was the guy in the black mtb baggies on the white focus cayo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Disappointingly slow and painful though. I am not good enough for 39x25. :(

My lowest gear today was a 39x25 too but I've done all of those climbs in 39x23 at various stages (I do have the advantage of being small and a bit waif-like but the climbs are short and therefore do-able in such gears). It was the pace between the climbs that I wasn't good enough for today though as I was dropped on the stretch from Sallygap to Laragh and I only saw that lead(?) group again briefly at the food stop.

The official report though will recount that I had a (bio-)mechanical problem (my legs fell off!) and the group wouldn't wait up. There may have to be a steward's enquiry.

My total was 150km in a riding time of 5h47m.

Thanks to Orwell Wheelers. It was well organised, well marshaled, and the food at the stop was good. It would have been good to have some sort of energy drink at the food stop to fill up bike bottles, as there was last year, but that's just an observation and not a criticism (there was plenty of water available, which was the main thing, and I'd bought an extra dose of High5 powder anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Wrecked first time out over the 100km since june ! and i was an hour and a half late getting home :mad: so thats last time out over the 100km for me this year :D

stats i dont know dirks gramin was on the blink ! and lumen needed Chiropractor breaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

doozerie wrote: »
    as I was dropped on the stretch from Sallygap to Laragh and I only saw that lead(?) group again briefly at the food stop.

Hey, I must have been in your neck of the woods at that time. I was wearing Caisse d'Epargne gear.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Hey, I must have been in your neck of the woods at that time. I was wearing Caisse d'Epargne gear.

btw, when I agreed with your "crap technical skills" comment I thought you were talking about me, not you. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Rathdrum to Roundwood. Little ring big ring little ring big ring little ring big ring little ring big ring...............................

.........little ring big ring little ring big ring........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Was that you near the top of the Shay Elliot? You passed by myself and buffalo near the top.

I was modelling a colour-coordinated ensemble of: black helmet, red and black jersey, black shorts, and red mitts. The green wristband was a colour clash the likes of which I haven't seen since the 80's. When I left the house my style was totally Gok Wan, but by the time the ride officially started it was more Bosco or Blue Peter.

Was it your first time down the Shay Elliot? I think we were about the same pace a lot of the time. I was in an Orwell jersey, with doozerie in red and black.

Anyway, I originally came on to say how much I enjoyed today - from the route (never climbed The Wall before) to the excellent foodstop. Nice to see a few familiar faces as well, though I didn't actually manage to say hi to many - my old schools boards.ie shorts weren't very conspicuous. :)

Enjoyed that, nice to catch up with some of y'all. Thought the event was very well run, great marshalling, someone even filled up my water bottles for me at the food stop, I felt...special.

I could have murdered for about 5 x espressos at the finish, but would have settled for a cup of instant coffee. No other gripes though.

The mapmyride route said only 1400 metres of climbing, sneaky that.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

Here is pics from today.

Was certainly a pleasure to watch you all. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Anyone selling a set of lungs?
    I wish someone had said it was the WW200 squashed into 133km!!
    Never really been out in wicklow on the bike before...a true northsider :D
    Was in the last group to finish, we waited at the food stop for one lad who missed the turn after shay elliott and went up to the top of slieve mann and then realised he went the wrong way :)
    Hard hard day for me, had a puncture on the way down the descent from the water stop luckily it was my rear tyre, fell way back and ended up doing nearly all the way to the food stop solo.
    Was going to get the broomwagon when my back was hurting bad but thanks to the helpers/marshalls and Danny the Cuban (best dressed man of the day) and mr slieve mann for keeping me going :)
    Great day, great organisation, maybe another food stop with one a 45 and one at 85km but still great all the same. Boll*xed and burnt!

Stats:
    6hr 26min
    Avg speed: 20.7km/h (yeah, bad!)
    Max Speed: 74.1km/h down djouse...sp?
    5972cal
    Avg HR 173bpm
    Max HR 213bpm!!! Up the wall obviously
    Total Ascent 2143m
    Total Descent 2142m

• Advertisement

Straatvark wrote: »
    Here is pics from today.

Was certainly a pleasure to watch you all. Well done!

Class pics!

Just missed you on the Shay Elliot I think. We were passing just as you were hopping off the motorbike. If only we went slower, I'd have a nice pic of myself coming up the hill! :D

Advertisement