Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag economics or Classical studies?

• 04-07-2010 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I am going into 6th year and was thinking about taking on an extra subject. I was thinking about either Ag economics or classical studies? Which one of the two is most "doable" in one year? I have a school which offers grinds in both.I know ag economics is very rare but i heard its a short course.I have done business for the junior cert ..will this help me for ag economics??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

dunno much about either but unless you like read Ulysses or something in your spare time don't be looking at classics from the very little i've heard about either

I doubt you'd get through classics in a year so...

ag econmics doens't sound to be to bad.. i know you can do the ag science course in a year so I'm sure the same goes for ag econmics...

just remember if your doing ag science or economics for the leaving cert most colleges won't accept ag economics as another subject

that's my 2 cents anyways desipte me knowing very little about either subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I love classics. Extremely interesting.

But if you have not done it for junior cert I would not recommend doing it in one year unless you like reading a lot. There is a lot of it and some of the books are either out of print or hard to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    dunno much about either but unless you like read Ulysses or something in your spare time don't be looking at classics from the very little i've heard about either

Joyce wasn't really around in Classical Greek and Roman times......... >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Why not just do ag science. I got the course done in 4/5 months.

Yeah you will be reading Cicero, Virgil, Homer, Plato, Ceaser, Plutarch's lives, Sallust, Aristotle, Euripides, Aristophanes, Sophocles etc...

Of course there is a lot of topics to chose from so you can pick and choose a great deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 steeevo93

thanks guys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

Classics was perhaps the most interesting subject I did for the Leaving this year, but I don't really think I'd recommend it. Though, that said, they are changing the exam format to be more forgiving and student-friendly, which might stand well in your stead.

Ultimately, it will depend on what you're looking for...while we would, perhaps, like to believe that all subjects stand on equal planes of difficulty, it simply isn't true. Classics is a difficult exam to excel in, so don't go in expecting an A1 without a lot of work and luck. If you're "points farming", it's a poor choice; if you're genuinely interested in classical civilization and literature, I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Doritogasm

[QUOTE=

I doubt you'd get through classics in a year so...

t[/QUOTE]

I got through the entire course in 1 year and we had extra time to revise and since the course has changed for next year I guarantee you would have it done in a year. But Classics was my fav subject so that helped

Doritogasm wrote: »
    I got through the entire course in 1 year and we had extra time to revise and since the course has changed for next year I guarantee you would have it done in a year. But Classics was my fav subject so that helped
    Wow what topics did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Doritogasm

I did all roman art and architecture, Oedipus, Medea, The odyssey, The Aeneid, Prometheus and then a lot of Alexander

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Fad wrote: »
    Joyce wasn't really around in Classical Greek and Roman times......... >_>

Fad, have you read it? While he wasn't around, the novel has a lot to do with classics

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    Fad, have you read it? While he wasn't around, the novel has a lot to do with classics
    The vast majority who claim to have read it are liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Do you do Economics already?...because if so you can't do Ag.Economics...
    That was the only reason i didn't do Ag.Economics, it seems alot easier than Classics (if you have an interest in it)...
    I would also suggest Ag.Science (i did it in 1 year and got a C1)....C1 was good for a subject i had NO interest in at all and i didn't exactly push myself...
    Classics apparently is alot harder to get an A in than Ag.Science or Ag. Economics...
    Only problem is with Ag.Economics it could be hard to find a teacher, books, grinds etc....

Have you looked at Economics or Geography (very do able in 1 year)

Advertisement