Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SLR lens compatible with Digital SLR??

• 04-07-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I am considering the 'big move' to digital from my Canon EOS-500 SLR but would like to know if its possible to get a digital SLR that is compatible with my SIGMA 28-300mm (F3.5-6.3).

Does anyone have experience of this? all opinions welcome....:)

Many thanks
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

To my knowledge, as long as it's the same brand the threads should be the same. Or in the case of Sigma - if it's a Sigma for a Canon, then it'll fit any Canon camera.

The issue does arise though when it comes to AF, auto-focus, and VR, vibration reduction. Motors in camera body or in the lens, I ran into an issue with a lens from a DSLR didn't work for a film camera because it couldn't sync with the aperture ring.

I don't know off hand anyway, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out. Quick read of the specifications of the lens and the camera you're interested should shed light on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Yeah, lenses will fit both dslr and slr bodies. Because of the different construction though, the focal length of your slr lens might be magnified by about 1.3 to 1.4 times. So a 100mm lens will behave like 140mm or so on a digital body.

Older lenses mightn't communicate too well with the body, but only to the same kind of extent as with a newer slr.

I've no experience , but I'd be surprised if it didn't fit and work well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

It should work fine with any Canon dSLR. However the size of the sensor in the dSLR will have an effect on the effective range of the camera.

With a full-frame camera like the 5D it will remain the same (28-300mm), but with a something like a 50D it will effectively become a 45mm-480mm. So you can no longer use your lens for wide-angle (great for telephoto though!). Might be time to invest in some new lenses too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Crasho wrote: »
    Hi,

I am considering the 'big move' to digital from my Canon EOS-500 SLR but would like to know if its possible to get a digital SLR that is compatible with my SIGMA 28-300mm (F3.5-6.3).

Does anyone have experience of this? all opinions welcome....:)

Many thanks
    Sean

A lens with a Canon EF mount should fit on any Canon Eos body.
    Older canon lenses should work fine. Some Sigma lenses might not
    work unless they are upgraded for compatibility with the latest cameras.

Have a look at the lists on this site. It appears that there might be a problem
    with the 28-300mm 3.5-6.3 DL aspherical IF hyperzoom.

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

Advertisement