Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diary of a struggling runner - My dublin city marathon training plan

Options
  • 04-07-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Friend of mine recommended doing a training log here to keep track and to hopefully get some advice...

I'm a 27 year old male, carrying a couple of extra pounds which is the reason that I started running this time last year. Did my first half last September at a time of 2hr16min and have managed to bring down my half marathon times to 1hr55min (that was after hamsting problems at mile 9).
    Usually do 8min miles and struggle to bring it under that....

This year racewise I've done 3 halfs, cpl 5kms, cpl 10kms, a 10mile and
    did 2 stages of Cork City Marathon (11.6miles)......felt guilty handing over the batton in Cork and not getting any of the glory! So I'm planning on doing DCM on October 25th.

My goal for DCM is about 4hr20 - I've Dingle half on Sept 4th and Cork-Cobh 15mile in October so will re-assess my time goal after that.
    The training plan that I'm trying to stick to is here and I'm on the sub 4hr plan. I won't be sticking to the plan too strictly as i can only run about 3/ 4 times per week but will try to stick to it as much as possible.

My work schedule involves a bit of traveling (mainly ireland) but I usually plan my runs at the start of the week and then I stick into my diary. I've a good network of running buddies all at different levels and I often run on my own too.
    I'm usually pretty disciplined so should be fine to give up the drink, its my diet that I would struggle with.

I'll try and post my times / weekly plans / struggles etc so any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Last week I kicked off my non-official training (actually plan starts on July 12th).
    Stuggled with the heat in the evenings so had a 3mile run on Tuesday morning, did a Charity 5KM race on Thursday evening and did it in 23min 32sec. Then was in Dublin for the weekend and did a 10km race on Saturday @ 52min.
    Usually would not race twice in one week but took it easy on the Dublin run.... plus was really hungover!!

This week - my work scheduel has me pretty busy but I'm hoping for:
    Mon - 3M
    Tues - 4M
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs - 3M / 4M
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 2M
    Sun - 6M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You might be interested in this thread, a mentored thread for novice marathoners running Dublin.

You should be fine for that goal time, or even a bit faster.

Thanks RayCun - just posted there.... looks like a great thread to keep in the running loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

corked wrote: »
    I'll try and post my times / weekly plans / struggles etc so any advice would be appreciated!

Will be reading it with great interest :)

so last week was my 2nd pre week.... didnt clock up the mileage that I was hoping for:

Monday - 4 Mile (34min)
    Tues - rest
    Wed - 3 Miles (25min)
    Thurs - had GAA thingy
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - very hungover!
    Sunday - 5.4 miles (44mins)

Was all over the place wth work... so my mid week run times were back.....and had my last night on the beer on Fri night (missed my Sat run cause of it).
    Have also noticed that I put on a half stone since Cork City Marathon so need to work on that too!
    Was hoping for a 6mile run today (sunday) n had mapped a 6mile route but it came in at 5.4miles - good few hills which was nice and challenging. Legs felt good and actually wanted to run more.

Plan for this week: (week 1 of RunRepublic training plan)
    Mon - 3 Miles
    Tues - 2 Miles
    Wednesday - 4 miles
    Thurs - Rest
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 3 Miles
    Sunday - 7 Miles

• Advertisement

Times and distances this week:

Mon - 4.3 (35.40min)
    Tues - Rest
    Wed - 6.2 (53.45min)
    Thur - Rest
    Fri - 3.2 (26min)
    Sat - 2.5 (speed drills)
    Sun - 9.5 (LSR -1hr 35min)

Week 1 of the training plan and I pushed it a bit so that I can be in good from for Boston Scientific Half on August 15th. Would love to come under 1hr 50 at it but will be happy with a new PB (1hr 55).

Short runs went well - brought the times close to 8.5min miles. Did the speed drills on Sat - prob a bad idea to do them before a LSR the next day.

My 2 running buddies cxled for this mornings run (Sunday) and found it hard to keep a decent pace. When I woke I really did not feel like doing the LSR, legs were tired from speed training and it was wet out.
    Got up and finally motivated myself to do it. Plan was to do 7miles with a mix of hills and flats - eneded up doing 9.5miles!
    Really enjoyed it but the pace was well back - still happy with the distance and think i could have pushed it to 11 miles but want to take it steady.

Plan for this week: (week 2 of RunRepublic training plan)
    Mon - Rest
    Tues - 1M easy / 2M fast / 1M easy
    Wed - 6M slow
    Thur - 2 x 1.5M Fast
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 4M easy
    Sun - 10M Slow

Times and distances this week:

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 3 miles (25.40min)
    Wed - 6.8 (61.20min)
    Thur - 3 miles (24.20min)
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - Missed Session
    Sun - 12.55 (LSR -1hr 55min)

Week 2 and I'm still running!
    Still pushing it hard....for Boston Scientific Half - Tues night the legs felt heavy. Had a long day at work on Wednesday and didnt get home till 9 - still headed out for 6 miler and ended up doing a bit extra - really enjoyed it. Thursday was ok, missed Saturdays but made up the miles on my LSR today.
    Today the LSR - One of the local guys joined me so got pushed harder - mixture of hills on it too - hit a big one on mile 9 and was about to give up but he pushed me on... happy with the ground covered and brought it back to 9.2min miles - so delighted to bring that down a bit! Struggled with hydration so need to look into water drops for LSR's - didnt get water until mile 7.

Plan for this week: (week 3 of RunRepublic training plan)
    Mon - Rest
    Tues - 7.5mile
    Wed - 7.5mile
    Thur - Rest
    Fri - 13 / 14 miles - LSR
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Rest
    Have a lads trip to London from FRI to Monday - so will be covering my mileage over 3 days - hope the trip does not set me back too much.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Well done Corked.
    Enjoy the training.
    See you at Dublin 2010.

sorry that its been almost 1 weeks since I last posted...

Update on training:

Week 3

Tues (July 27th) - 6.2miles - 55min
    Wed (July 28th) - 10.5miles - 1hr 35min
    Fri (July 30th) - 14.2miles - 2hrs 20min

The Friday run was my longest ever and felt good to have it done. 1st half was mostly hills, 2nd half was flat-ish. Stretched well before and after & did a cold bath afterwards-1st time doing the baths but they really do work!
    Did'nt feel too stiff afterwards but the last 2 miles were a challenge.

Last week - Week 4 of RunRepublic Plan

Tuesday - 7.8miles - 1hr 10min (very hilly!!)
    Wednesday - 6miles
    Saturday - 4miles
    Sunday - 6miles

Had a lads weekend in London so was happy to do a hilly run on Tuesday....got back and felt great - had really good pace on the flatter sections. Thought that the break had done me well.
    When I went out on Wednesday my right hamstring locked up on mile 4 so it was a major struggle to finish. I've had trouble with this before and booked in physio for Sat morning, stretched it a good bit on Thurs & Friday.

My own phyiso was on hols so went to a new guy that my mate uses - he was really good, gave me loads of advice on running, plans and on gels. Told me to continue running as it was not as bad as before!
    My main problem is my stretching so I will be doing warm up runs and cool down runs.....my pelvis is out of place too. Just worried that its a bit too early in my training plan to be picking up injuries!
    Just need to stretch more - setting my alarm 10mins earlier in the mornings to do this as I don't want to have to sit out any training.

So did a 4 mile Sat and a 6 mile on Sunday.
    Sundays run was meant to be a 9 mile but cut it short due to a couple of rookie mistakes! (toilet break!)

so another week.... plenty stretching and the hamstring got the all clear from physio to do my race on Sunday.

Week 5
    Tues -6.5 miles
    Wed -7 miles
    Sat - 2 miles
    Sun -14.5 miles - Clonmel half..... with a bit extra lol

Next week:
    Tues - 5 miles
    Wed -6 miles
    Fri - 4 miles
    Sun - 15 Miles
    Mite chance to make the 15 mile a 16miler.... we'll see!

• Advertisement

must admit i was feeling very unmotivated this week after the disaster of Clonmel half..... only managed to get 2 of the shorter runs in and my LSR.... Woke this morning, n then tossed & turned in bed putting off the LSR...battled with myself for about 20min in bed and then said feck it - just do it as had mapped out my route and did water drops so was well prepared.

Did 15.5 miles in 2hr 33mins - slow pace but still did it and felt I had another mile in me.
    Dind'nt use all my water drops and ate a cerial bar along the way....had planned it on mile 10 and at mile 9 i could feel the cramping looking for it.. must start planning gels next.

Week 6
    Tues - 6 miles
    Friday - 8.5miles
    Sunday - 15.5miles

Next Week
    Think ive my motivation back so
    Tues - 7.5 miles
    Wed - 7.5 miles
    Thurs - 6miles
    Sat - 17miles (eeek!!)

Didnt get as much covered as I wanted to this week. Was wrecked tired for my long run so had to cut it short.....

Week 7
    Monday - 3
    Tuesday - 6.3
    Thursday - 4.2
    Sunday - 10.1

Next week
    Monday - 10.5
    Tuesday - 7.5
    Thursday - 4.2
    Saturday - 13.1 (dingle half marathon)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Saturday - 13.1 (dingle half marathon)

What's the target for the half? I'm the 2:00 pacer, come and say hi and I'll introduce you to any other Boardsies who are around...

xebec wrote: »
    What's the target for the half? I'm the 2:00 pacer, come and say hi and I'll introduce you to any other Boardsies who are around...

Hey xebec - my best so far has been 1hr 55 but my times are well back at the moment. I might start off with the 1hr 45 pacer and see how I go - would love a time like that! Prob will stick with that pacer for the first 10km and may have to slip back slightly. But I could be finishing after you too!

Will defo say hi!

Hey xebec - my best so far has been 1hr 55 but my times are well back at the moment. I might start off with the 1hr 45 pacer and see how I go - would love a time like that! Prob will stick with that pacer for the first 10km and may have to slip back slightly. But I could be finishing after you too!

Will defo say hi!

Sry I missed ya xebec - I did it in 1hr 55 so just finished ahead of ya! was with the 1hr45min for about 6 mile till I met a hill!

great race tho - ill sign up again next yr!

Week 8
    Monday - 10
    Tuesday - 8
    Thursday - 2
    Saturday - 13.1 (dingle half - 1hr 55)

Dingle half went well - kept wth the 1h45min pacer till mile 6.5. then fell back. was happy how it went and was a well managed race.

Next week
    Monday to Wednesday are very hetic with work..... wont get to run! Thurs n sat nite i've a family function so the cpl runs will be long.
    Hope to clock up to 18miles!

Advertisement