Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filters and Lens query

• 04-07-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to adding to my kit however hopefully I'll b put right here :D. An insignicant birthday has passed and my children wanted to buy me a few bits and bobs, I'm thinking of some Neutral Density filters and an adapter for one of my lenses to make it a macro (is this possible).

Anyway I have two lenes that I want the ND for - 18-70 and 70-300. What do I need to measure to get the right size filter.

Also which of the following lenses would be best suited for a macro adapter:
    - 18/70, 55/200 or 70-300, all Nikon lenses. Should I only get a Nikon adapter?

Where can they purchase these items and what are the best brands to look out for, anything else I/they should know.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check the lenses - they commonly have the filter thread size written on them - may be preceded by a small circle with a line through.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

On the front of your lens, where it says the make, max aperture etc, there should be a symbol of a circle with a line through it, meaning diameter. There should be a measurement, 58mm, 72mm, or whatever. That's the diameter of your lens and the size of filter you need. Happy Birthday:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just checked one of my nikon lenses - it's on the underneath of the lens (as when mounted on the camera). there's actually nothing written on the front of the lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have a look at this link
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm
    You can buy cheapish macro adapters online, www.ebay.ie is a good place to start looking. But a true macro lens is the real juice of the fruit but more expensive.
    Also look on www.adverts.ie and go to photography for sale section for bargains.
    Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭phog

Holmer wrote: »
    On the front of your lens, where it says the make, max aperture etc, there should be a symbol of a circle with a line through it, meaning diameter. There should be a measurement, 58mm, 72mm, or whatever. That's the diameter of your lens and the size of filter you need. Happy Birthday:)

Not that I can see but on checking I noted that on the inside of the lens cover there is a number in mm, I assume that's the diameter and the size of filter.

Thanks for your help.

I still need some advice on where to purchase and on the adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

phog wrote: »
    I noted that on the inside of the lens cover there is a number in mm, I assume that's the diameter and the size of filter.

There you have it. That's your lens diameter which is also the filter size.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm fairly comfortable (at least I think I am :cool:) on the filters but still looking for advice on the Macro adapter, in particular which lens would I be better off purchasing the adapter for?
    phog wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to adding to my kit however hopefully I'll b put right here :D. An insignicant birthday has passed and my children wanted to buy me a few bits and bobs, I'm thinking of some Neutral Density filters and an adapter for one of my lenses to make it a macro (is this possible).

Anyway I have two lenes that I want the ND for - 18-70 and 70-300. What do I need to measure to get the right size filter.

Also which of the following lenses would be best suited for a macro adapter:
    - 18/70, 55/200 or 70-300, all Nikon lenses. Should I only get a Nikon adapter?

Where can they purchase these items and what are the best brands to look out for, anything else I/they should know.

I think the 18 - 70 lens is your most suitable for the macro adapter.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Not sure about the macro adaptors, but if you think you'll want a ND Grad (to change brightness of the sky in landscapes for example) at some stage rather than just a ND filter you might want to have a look at the Cokin (or Lee if you can afford them) filter system, the additional benefit of this is that you only need one filter for all your lenses, you just need different adaptor rings.

DutchGuy wrote: »
    Not sure about the macro adaptors, but if you think you'll want a ND Grad (to change brightness of the sky in landscapes for example) at some stage rather than just a ND filter you might want to have a look at the Cokin (or Lee if you can afford them) filter system, the additional benefit of this is that you only need one filter for all your lenses, you just need different adaptor rings.

What? :confused: Can you give a bit more detail or a link to more info?

Thanks

a neutral density filter's job is to reduce the light coming into the lens uniformly. if you want a longer exposure, for example.
    an ND grad is generally used to reduce the brightness of the sky to closer to that of the land in landscape photography, to make exposure more uniform.

a neutral density filter's job is to reduce the light coming into the lens uniformly. if you want a longer exposure, for example.
    an ND grad is generally used to reduce the brightness of the sky to closer to that of the land in landscape photography, to make exposure more uniform.

My initial reason for the filter is to allow me take photos of the Curragower Falls on the Shannon in Limerick.

FA8631C7F142407C9056ADCB4FB36017-800.jpg

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Have a look at this link
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm
    Hope this is of some help.

Great link for other tutorials as well, thanks :D

Advertisement