Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My couch to 5k,i don't exercise,don't go for walks.....should be fun :)

• 04-07-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Right so i'm ready to start my c25k tomorrow..Have good ( i hope) running shoes,have my training plan ready(from cool running). I'm a mum of two and i honestly haven't exercised in...oooh must be 15 years! I do a fair bit of running around the house but that's it. I want to tone up and lose some weight too. My brother never ran and approx a year ago he started with the c25k and is now running full marathons and goes on about it so much i said i'd give it a go too :) . I recently went to a keep fit class and couldn't walk properly for 3 days and had pains in my legs for a week after so i'm nervous but it's now or never. ( didn't go to the class again!) I used to swim a lot when i was younger so hopefully in a few weeks i'll start that again too.And the best bit,i gave up my 14 year smoking habit on new years eve 09' so hopefully that will stand to me! I'm 5'6 and size 12 so suppose around 10 stone. I don't weigh myself,ever,so will do it this week and edit to add exact weight when starting. That's it,off to read the other logs now! Any advice gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck with the training. Loads of people have used the couch25k plan, it's a good one.
    Remember, you don't have to run fast during the running bits. If you run slowly, you'll have a better chance of running the running intervals. The speed will come anyway if you keep running.
    There's no harm in repeating a week on the schedule if you find it really tough. It's much better to repeat a week than to take a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Good luck with the new log - you will get endless advice on here. I'm only running since August/Sept of last year & I've gotten lots of help & tips from people
    Remember to stretch well before your runs.
    Also maybe sign up to do a 5k race in a few months time and have it as a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Good luck angell, I have started my C25k 3 weeks ago, I am enjoying it. You will get lot of support in this forum, I never run before but I got lot info from different posts. All the best for u r training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Thanks everyone! Well i did wk1,day1 today and it was grand. I was wrecked at the end but i got there. I had to exercise on the trampoline as couldn't get out on the road so maybe it will be harder on th road? Weds will be my first road run....

5/7/10 -wk1,day1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

angelll wrote: »
    I had to exercise on the trampoline as couldn't get out on the road so maybe it will be harder on th road? Weds will be my first road run....

:D You did your run on the trampoline? Sounds like great fun:D lol.
    The road will be a wee bit harder than the treadmill (assuming that's what you mean :pac:) but just take it nice and slow and you'll get there. Best of luck. A year and a half ago I was in your shoes + 2.5 stone heavier. You won't regret it for a minute.

• Advertisement

:D No i did mean the trampoline! Can't wait til sept,i'll be able to go in and out of the gym but during the summer i'll have to go and the trampoline at least once a week to run as have no one to mind the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

angelll wrote: »
    :D No i did mean the trampoline! Can't wait til sept,i'll be able to go in and out of the gym but during the summer i'll have to go and the trampoline at least once a week to run as have no one to mind the kids.

:eek::D I would have thought that running on the ground around the trampoline would be better but it does sound like fun:D. Is there a track or a football pitch near you that you could use? I'm planning on using the local pitch and planting the children in the middle while I run around it on days where I won't get out otherwise. Mine are big enough to amuse themselves though.

I was thinking of that actually,it would be great. I'm going to ask at the local community centre if i could use the indoor soccer place when it's empty,that way i could go rain or shine.
    Re:running around the trampoline...i actually couldn't,there are sheds and clothes lines in my way,not a huge garden but a very full one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I've heard other people doing some of their runs on the trampoline too so don't owrry, better to unconventional than miss a day, and you're still building up your stamina.

I don't know where abouts you are but this was my first 5k, and it's a good one to start with.

http://www.athleticsrathfarnham.ie/index.php/rathfarnham-5k-road-race

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I've heard other people doing some of their runs on the trampoline too so don't owrry, better to unconventional than miss a day, and you're still building up your stamina.

I don't know where abouts you are but this was my first 5k, and it's a good one to start with.

http://www.athleticsrathfarnham.ie/index.php/rathfarnham-5k-road-race

Best of luck with it.

Yeah, this was my first race too and I would recommend it. Mostly downhill or flat, a slight incline for a stretch. Very do-able and not too crowded.

• Advertisement

I'm actually in Limerick and there is a run in tipperary in sept...
    http://www.tippminimarathon.ie/
    and i'm hoping that i can run at least half of it by then. Not feeling bad today at all,will be able to get out on the road tomorrow for day 2 so will update then. Thanks for all the advice so far!!

Advertisement