Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No space at school for my daughter

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

When I was in secondary school there were pupils who traveled into fingals and the city center to attend secondary school. There were specific buses for those traveling to and from finglas which left from the village and it would be full of girls from St Micheals holy faith convent secondary school and boys from Beneavin De La Salle College.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I've rung Mary Wallaces' office and they are going to look into it and ring me back.

When I went to school everyone from Ashbourne travelled as there wasn't a secondary here and we just accepted that was the case and there was loads of buses etc.

Unfortunately those bus services have been discontinued due to the community school opening and that means I either have to drive her (which limits my work prospects) or she'll have to get the bus and then walk, very doable I know but something I'm trying to avoid if I can.

I've been trying not to mention ashbourne as I didn't want to get to personal but hey ho it is fairly obvious isn't it :D

I must add that the school have been brilliant, but their hands are tied.

BostonB wrote: »
    I've just realised you're in Ashbourne. You might just have to wait a week or two into the school term as people move around a lot for a few weeks, creating spaces where there were none.

That's my plan kind of, the school have said that there is a possibilty some children just won't come back, so i'm hoping to get her in somewhere for a short while (term/half term) and then hopefully a space will open up for her here :)

But no one wants to speak to me today :o I'll try the email route now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Why not go in? They won't turn you away then, least we wouldn't in my school!

:D
    Yay she is starting school tomorrow!!!!

The local education welfare officer (who has been brilliant) has organised a place for her in Ratoath which is only 4 miles away.

The only problem is that the only space is in 3rd year so she'll be doing her Junior cert in June (eeeek) but they have said they'll keep a really close eye on her to monitor how she's doing. I'm just so glad to be getting her in somewhere as we came pretty close to having to home educate which would not have been good for her at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Good luck:))
    12 going 13 in 3rd year is so young most kids will be 14 going 15 or as kids are starting school so lat some might even be 16,but obviously the education office thinks she is able for it and she finally has a place:)

Yeah I'm being guided by the experts here, the thought of her doing er Junior cert at 13 is pretty horrifying but the principal has sad if they feel she's not up to it they won't make her and she will be able to repeat the year. I;m going to give it a couple of months and see how she goes.

I'm just so happy she has a place i'm not going to make waves (for now anyway) :D

Thanks everyone for all your advice and support it is much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I was 11 starting secondary school, just 2 days gone 11 (birthday is 28th August), so I was just gone 13 in 3rd year too. I flew through my junior cert and exceeded all my teachers expectations (they tried to make my mother keep me back based on age, nothing to do with school work, so she quite rightly refused). I was forced to do transition year (it was optional at the time) and just couldn't get back into the swing of things in 5th year, I'm a firm believer to this day that had they just left me alone and let me continue I'd have done better in my leaving cert. I did ok, but feel I didn't fulfill my potential. That was over 10 years ago now.

I'm in the same predicament now with my son, who's also an august baby, and I will definately be basing my decisions on his abilty and maturity and not on his age, which after all is just a number! :D

Good luck with your little one, I'm sure she'll be fine. The best advice I can give, and it's passed on from my mother who admits she made a mistake by giving in to the school, is to stand your ground, no-one knows your daughter better than you. And to talk to her as much as possible about school (social life and work).

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

:D
    Yay she is starting school tomorrow!!!!

The local education welfare officer (who has been brilliant) has organised a place for her in Ratoath which is only 4 miles away.

The only problem is that the only space is in 3rd year so she'll be doing her Junior cert in June (eeeek) but they have said they'll keep a really close eye on her to monitor how she's doing. I'm just so glad to be getting her in somewhere as we came pretty close to having to home educate which would not have been good for her at all.

I was going to suggest Rathoath. I am not just saying this but you have lucked out. this is a fantastic school. My friend works there and all the staff and management work extremely hard, are big into school spirit, monitoring, lots of things for the students to do. she will be very happy there and they will do a lot to accomodate her! check out their website!

Advertisement