Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stimming, am i not getting something here

Options
  • 04-07-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Been listening to stimming the last couple of days trying to get my head around what it is he does, and i'm drawing a very large blank, is this another case of the emperors new clothes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

t4cell wrote: »
    Been listening to stimming the last couple of days trying to get my head around what it is he does, and i'm drawing a very large blank, is this another case of the emperors new clothes.

Link to a track please :) - and what is it that gets you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

stimming's fairly old at this stage. A large part of his appeal is that he has such a distinct sound and feel. I thought he was amazing when I first heard him and then after about a week, I was bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 t4cell

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Link to a track please :) - and what is it that gets you?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93nHwLlstzM&feature=related

Yeah, that's pretty well put together - nice balance of styles/sounds, can see why it grabs people, sounds almost like techno wanting to be house music / happy.

Its wasted on me dude, just can't seem to get past the lack of music, average sounding mixes and mediocre production and the going fast no where arrangement, minimal implies lots to me the main one being minimal talent, don't like to sound so harsh but this to me is just taking the piss.But then again if people like it thats the main thing.

• Advertisement

Its wasted on me dude, just can't seem to get past the lack of music, average sounding mixes and mediocre production and the going fast no where arrangement, minimal implies lots to me the main one being minimal talent, don't like to sound so harsh but this to me is just taking the piss.But then again if people like it thats the main thing.

stimming's not minimal btw. have never even heard him described as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I was listening to his stuff on Myspace and I thought it sounded pretty cool. I think I'll pick up some of it. Nice mix of sounds like Neurojazz said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Maybe I'm a cnut.. but I was listening to Stimming on YT the other day, cos someone was talking about him - Didnt know any tunes & was just searching as y'do..

Couldn't find one tune that blew me away.

Found him a little uninspiring.. So much so that a Magda tune sounded good! LOL

• Advertisement

I'm with cha on that one dude, don't get it at all.

I think technically it's not easy to make... that's what i'm hearing. And i've only heard a handful of writers on boards post music close to that level of production (even if it's not a dance floor filler)

To sit down and write something like the OP posted on the youtube link and blend that well is not easy - and that's what shines about sort of melodic techno where everything bounces along in tune - albeit simply.

This is a production forum, his technique isn't to be overlooked!

Cool.

Just saying that I didnt "like" it & moved swiftly on - Thats allowed as a civillian too! ;):D

However.. if anyone would like to give a specific insight into how he gets his mixes / arrangements etc.. so spot on - then I'm sure I'd learn something from it :cool:

yeah that's worth mentioning. Stimming has the sickest production skills about, his arrangements are painfully intricate.
    Him and Buttrich suffer from a similar problem which is that they are such good producers that they can make great tracks from fairly meh ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

una pena is a great track, heard it dropped in bora bora last august and the place went mental.

have a few of his tracks, dont set the world alight but i deffo wouldnt hate him

copeyhagen wrote: »
    una pena is a great track, heard it dropped in bora bora last august and the place went mental.

have a few of his tracks, dont set the world alight but i deffo wouldnt hate him

LOL - Fritzl for President.

Which country? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

all and any!!

copeyhagen wrote: »
    all and any!!

He could go on a tour - have a bit of a global timeshare presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

jtsuited wrote: »
    yeah that's worth mentioning. Stimming has the sickest production skills about, his arrangements are painfully intricate.
    Him and Buttrich suffer from a similar problem which is that they are such good producers that they can make great tracks from fairly meh ideas.
    That's it exactly - very polished but not much soul. That new Buttrich album didn't live up to the hype for me at all. The sounds were nice but the songs / tracks didn't cut it.

This track from the Timewriter got me much more excited than anything from either of the above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv2MzexTges&feature=youtube_gdata

There's also some lovely deep techno stuff on the recent Pascal FEOS album (Terra Bong).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I like the 1000 Dreams track. It's real nice. I think the background effects he uses are a little over-bearing, and take away from the that lovely subtle toned melody...

One thing I really like about his stuff though is the background effects in parts.. reminds me of ambient producers like Amon Tobin... Good technique, would sound lovely in a club I'd imagine, but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't dig his stuff. It never quite gets 'there', its defo one for setting the scene in the right enviroment.

-A

Or getting Ripperton to do a rmx! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

this kinda reminds me of a recent article in the Guardian where they interviewed The Chemical Brothers who said the following:
    But the duo still DJ and keep "one ear open trying to understand how people do things".

"There's a producer called Popov," Rowlands continues over his chicken paillard. "It's mind-numbing music and if you hear it in the day you'll think, what's the point? But there's something weird in its construction that sends people insane at four in the morning and we want to work out what the secret thing is."

i think it's fascinating that even guys like The Chemicals are still trying to figure out what makes a production work. like, surely they should have the template all worked out by now?

i'd love to know which Popov it is cos there's a LOT of dodgy artists with Popov in their names on Myspace, Beatport and Discogs. they have to be talking about this guy. great deep rolling rhythms and groovetastic (yes, it is a word!) sounds.

btw, check out Kollektiv Turmstrasse (friends of Stimming on his MySpace page). totally amazing duo creating some of the most enjoyable sounds coming from Germany recently, imho...

Is it this Guy?

Popof?

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Popof

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

ICN wrote: »
    thats actually who i thought of aswell

seannash wrote: »
    thats actually who i thought of aswell

Proove it! ;):D :cool:

LOL

I'm really enjoying all the stuff mentioned here. Does anyone else have anything they heard that they don't like. ;)

Loving this:

yeah stoned autopilot is exactly the good stuff buttrich did a long time ago. then he went very quiet for a long time and then his artist album came out. and it just seems devoid of any ideas.

jtsuited wrote: »
    yeah stoned autopilot is exactly the good stuff buttrich did a long time ago. then he went very quiet for a long time and then his artist album came out. and it just seems devoid of any ideas.

I like some of the stuff on the album - Song Six and You must be this high. Just wondering if you had any recommendations of tracks like Stoned Autopilot. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

I'm really enjoying all the stuff mentioned here. Does anyone else have anything they heard that they don't like. ;)

Loving this:

wow. that was one amazing track. absolutely stunning. is that a remix of cinnamon chasers or has someone just put buttrich's track over their luv deluxe vid?

Advertisement