Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TDF time trials - warming up and cooling down

• 04-07-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8388&status=True&catname=Latest News

Looking at the extemes to which Brad Wiggins and Mark Renshaw and their teams are going to in the article above it makes me wonder.

All this stuff about cooling core body temps - its a bit mad. OK maybe it works but will we get to a stage where 198 odd tour riders all "warm up" for a TT in fridges!?!

It strikes me as akin to doping - gaining such advantages!

If they show you these efforts they go to in public I ask myself what measures they get up to behind the scenes!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

If its allowed and it gives you an advantage you'd have to be mental not to do it.
    this is their livelihood after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

abcdggs wrote: »
    If its allowed and it gives you an advantage you'd have to be mental not to do it.

Ah ya.

You could also say:

If its [not] allowed [such as doping, but you can do it in privacy and you may not get caught,] and it gives you an advantage you'd have to be mental not to do it.

Lot's of sports people do dope...
    I just don't see the problem with taking the advantage of what you're talking about.

disclaimer: i haven't read the article you linked to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

All this stuff about cooling core body temps - its a bit mad. OK maybe it works but will we get to a stage where 198 odd tour riders all "warm up" for a TT in fridges!?!

Don't really see the problem; it's not much different to getting sprayed with water sitting in an air conditioned bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Technological advances (whether legal or illegal) give the early adopters an undoubted advantage.
    However once they take hold and the majority of contenders in the peleton begin using them then talent/strength etc wins out again until next technological advantage.
    The only overall beneficiary is overall speed of the peleton.

I liken the situation to the GAA. For a while intensive physical training (a la Clare hurlers or Armagh footballers) paid dividends. But once every team started the old orthodoxy reassert itself.

In the long run I don't believe it confers huge advantages, but in short run it probably does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Cryotherapy isn't anything new, check out Spala in Poland where a lot of international athletes go to train, either as part of a recovery program or something to help them build up quickly over a short space of time..

http://www.irishrugby.ie/6855_8458.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryotherapy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

didnt seem to do much good for wiggins (or paula radcliffe in the athens olympics)

dave brailsford - we look at small things like sending wiggo out the pouring rain when his original start would have put him on a drying road :rolleyes:

that team has a lot to learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

didnt seem to do much good for wiggins (or paula radcliffe in the athens olympics)

dave brailsford - we look at small things like sending wiggo out the pouring rain when his original start owuld have put hom on a drying road :rolleyes:

that team has a lot to learn

To be fair, that was Wiggo's call, and the forecast was that the rain was due to get worse as the prologue went on. They took a gamble for sure, and this time it didn't pay off, but that's not particularly a reason to say their whole tactic is rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

To be fair, that was Wiggo's call, and the forecast was that the rain was due to get worse as the prologue went on. They took a gamble for sure, and this time it didn't pay off, but that's not particularly a reason to say their whole tactic is rubbish!

yeh but i reckon your going to have so many ups and downs in a 3 week tour your prob just better off going at the same time as your rivals

sorry wasnt wiggo doing the cooling thing

anyway i'd be knackered after those guys warm up for a 10km time trial - actually i'd prob abandon during the warm up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Junior wrote: »
    Cryotherapy isn't anything new, check out Spala in Poland where a lot of international athletes go to train, either as part of a recovery program or something to help them build up quickly over a short space of time..

As far as I'm aware - the studies done on cryotherapy aren't particularly complimentary about it as a general recovery tool. Direct comparisons between ice baths and cold water (tap temperature) baths show no extra benefits for the colder baths (there is a benefit compared to no bath however)
    An Australian study suggests that the benefits of cryotherapy for traumatic injuries (which are documented) do not carry over to general exercise recovery. Even where athletes reported a reduction in muscle stiffness, there was no beneficial effect on muscle tenderness or strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Junior wrote: »

http://www.irishrugby.ie/6855_8458.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryotherapy

Or you can go to wexford :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

ya arnt we talking about different treatments here

the cryotherapy is for injuries

the ice baths are for recovery

and the other stuff on the pez website is pre exercise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

ice baths - anyone know where on the south side (Dundrum) there are any setup? Any of the Spas - obviously, a bath with lots of ice is another option.

ice baths - anyone know where on the south side (Dundrum) there are any setup? Any of the Spas - obviously, a bath with lots of ice is another option.
    Maybe get in touch with UCD high performance group. there might be something in there you could use...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

theres one setup in Total Fitness Sandyford but its nowhere near cold enough (have said it many times to the management to no avail). it's not even uncomfortable getting in - waste of time.... which is a shame.

theres also one in WestWood Clontarf which is fairly cold - whether it's cold enough i'm not sure. i think finding it hard to breath would be a good indication whether its cold enough, and while i do remember gasping when getting in, i can't remember if it was really uncomfortable.

just use a wheelie bin - in winter the temperature is pretty much bang on to use all the time; although this could be difficult if you live in an apartment complex or the likes - you might look like a bit of a nutter to the neighbours.

Advertisement