Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stolen bikes sticky

• 05-07-2010 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

would it be a welcome addition to the forum to have a sticky that included only the bikes that are stolen from board members? there are individual threads that quickly fall off the front page and at the possible cost of not seeing a bike that may have been spotted by a boards member.

the thread would need careful house cleaning as only posts that would include a clear picture and description of the bike should remain! all other posts would have to be removed. only contacting the posters by PM would be permissable. and if the bike were to be recovered then there should be a mod appointed to be the one notified about which posts need to be removed.

opinions please....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I like the idea
    +1
    Hope i never have to use it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+1

makes alotta sense

maybe a poll to count successes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not in the main forum, too many stickies already.

Cycling Adverts probably a better place, if there is enough support for the idea (thank the OP, +1s not really necessary).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

The proposal is well intentioned, but unlikely to be effective. Two reasons. First, while there are indeed a fair few "stolen bike" threads, there really aren't so many as to be a problem. Second, if it were a sticky, I for one would be very unlikely to ever look at it --- and it's probably the same for others too. Stickies are always there and most of us just don't even see them after a while.

So --- sorry --- but that's a -1 from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Stolen bike stickys are very common on cycling forums & heres the reason:
    • The fact that Its a sticky means that when users (old and new) access the forum they see that thread and do not create multiple stolen bikes threads.
    • Most members should subscribe to this tread & therefore the information gets distributed to the biggest audience possible.
    • The problem with having many stolen bikes threads is that users have to stumble upon it & chose to read it... therefore they get only a portion of the possible readership

I support the proposal to establish a stolen bikes sticky withing the cycling forum! +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

my point about things quickly falling off the front page has been in evidence here. on page three after one day? and very little response!

i do see the point about moving it to the for sale thread though and if that is agreed with by a mod then could this thread be moved to the for sale thread?

thanks...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How about just one thread for stolen bikes that isn't a sticky and the mods can move any new posts into it as they appear. maybe add something into the forum rules saying that if that is what you are going to post about to do it in there. A thread like that should remain fairly high all the time w/o being a sticky. i think the Sales section is a bit of a hit or miss idea as it makes sense if someone has been looking for a bike online and real life and can he can say 'Hey, I seen that bike', but it may put off potential fools who might have heard of Boards and post it w/o checking the main cycling forum.

Tough call either way

Advertisement