Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Doctor Who Book/Audio Club.

Options
  • 05-07-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

This is an idea that may get us through till Christmas.

We decide on a book and or Audio adventure and then we discuss it. Maybe we do one a fortnight or a week?

Who is with me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm in... I think!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I want in on this, but I am time poor and I have no audio books or books to start with. :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Which books and which audios?

I'm most familiar with the books and we could be talking:
    * Virgin Missing Adventures
    * Virgin New Adventures
    * BBC Past Doctor Adventures
    * BBC Eight Doctor Adventures
    * Bernice Summerfield Adventures
    * Target novelisations
    * BBC 9-11th Doctor Adventures
    * Torchwood novels
    * Sarah Jane novels
    * Short Trips collection

And audios have a similar wide sweep, esp. if you go and include the likes of the Dalek empire series or the "Robots of Death" Kandor mini-series!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Hey, great idea. A bit strapped for cash but I can definately afford a book every week or two.

Also: What about watching something pre-Season 27? Pick a story each week and watch that?

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Also: What about watching something pre-Season 27? Pick a story each week and watch that?

I'd LOVE this.

And it'd be pretty easy for people to... acquire the episodes perfectly legally compared to acquiring audio books.

Perfectly legally.

I'd LOVE this.

And it'd be pretty easy for people to... acquire the episodes perfectly legally compared to acquiring audio books.

Perfectly legally.
    Yep. Just like my collection of every episode. All recorded off BBC Gold of course.

I think it'd be also interesting from the point of view of connecting to the new series in some ways. Think of it:
    - see the Autons, Daleks, Cybermen, Silurians for the first time! Hell even get to see the Macra we briefly glimpsed in "Gridlock"
    - Get to know the original companions, including Sarah-Jane in her early days
    - See the original U.N.I.T and the Brigadier!
    - See the sonic screw-driver in glorious B&W!
    - Meet K-9! And meet him again! And again!
    - See the Master done correctly - with proper black beard!
    - And of course the Doctor: See him in all his various incarnations: cranky old man, wandering hobo, the dandy, the madman, etc.

Not to mention that it'll give some great perspective on how good and bad the show can really be.

Question is: Would people start at Season 1? Season 7 (colour episodes)? Skip over the missing episodes or watch the fan versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I'd be up for the episode watching :) Although starting at the very begining may be a little tedious for people new to Who, as fond as I am of William Hartnell. Maybe start with some of the episodes that are more similar to the Who's (whom?) we know now like Baker, and Davison? And if we did go completely retro, then the fan versions do add a certain something to a season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Loving where this is going! I was supposed to have a summer of Who, but real life has gotten in the way, as it does. Def up for watching old eps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The books might be a bit hard to come by, especially the old "New Adventures" line.

So how about either picking some classic old school TV stories, or some Big Finish productions? I could think of a few classic Big Finish stories to start us off with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I'm liking the "watch Classic Who idea".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

ok, lets leep it simple-ish.

the "missing year" of the 6th Doctor has been released on audio over the last year (in fact i think they are in the middle of the run) and should be therefore easiest to get. As far as i remember it is a shortish run, only 8 or so stories.

the reason why i was thinking these was because they were actually intended to be broadcast, scripts were done, directors assigned ect. in the end they were all scrapped and replaced with Trial of a Time Lord.

the first one is The Nighmare Fair, and features the return of the celestrial toymaker and dan be d/l for €12 or cd around €20

http://www.bigfinish.com/101-Doctor-Who-The-Nightmare-Fair

if we do one a month starting in August would that be ok economics wise?? I will allow anyone stuck to borrow my one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm game :)

Actually, why doesn't one of the lads who's seen everything get a complete list of all the serials, throw them into a hat, and we do them randomly (excepting maybe the missing episode serials from the early days so as not to discourage the-er- less experienced whovians) :D

Actually, why doesn't one of the lads who's seen everything get a complete list of all the serials, throw them into a hat, and we do them randomly (excepting maybe the missing episode serials from the early days so as not to discourage the-er- less experienced whovians) :D

stupid idea.

it should ahve been a fez.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Well, someone needs to make a decision on what we do. If we go with watching old tv serials I'm going to need to find a place to um.. aquire them in a "river-like fashion"* and if we're going to go with the audio that was mentioned then I already have found a "river-like fashion"* to hear it from...

--

*not the character... :D

PM for the links if we decide the audio one.

----
    EDIT

Just realised that the free download for the audio is perfectly legal cos it's free anyway. They would just like a donation to the charity of their choice. I still won't post it online in case I'm wrong though.

If we go with classic Doctor Who I recommend we'd start full on from Season 7. It's one of the first seasons in full, the first in colour, and also one of the best in the show's run. I would think though that selected episodes from previous years should be viewed too.

I've only listened to a few audios though so I'd need some guidance!

Well if we're going with watching the old episodes I think I know a decent place to "watch the river flow" if nobody else has any better ones.

If anyone wants to check it out PM me for a link

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Well if we're going with watching the old episodes I think I know a decent place to "watch the river flow" if nobody else has any better ones.
    It'll take a long time for all of it to flow by. There's over 250 giant buckets of water!

nicowa wrote: »
    Well, someone needs to make a decision on what we do. If we go with watching old tv serials I'm going to need to find a place to um.. aquire them in a "river-like fashion"* and if we're going to go with the audio that was mentioned then I already have found a "river-like fashion"* to hear it from...

--

*not the character... :D

PM for the links if we decide the audio one.

----
    EDIT

Just realised that the free download for the audio is perfectly legal cos it's free anyway. They would just like a donation to the charity of their choice. I still won't post it online in case I'm wrong though.

Ah god be with the days when i could tell you lot what to do :D.

personally i am in favour of the lost 6th doctor season simply because its cheap and it was mean to be Tv and therefore an interesting theme, and i will back the review of the 7th season for the visual, if we are doing that too (and no reason why not, it will be one discussion thread on each). that was indeed a good year and consisted of only four stories.

Now.... for an added and cheap alternative..... every two weeks there is the Doctor Who DVD files. Recently, for a tenner, you could have got vanillas of City of Death, Caves of Andiozoni, Revelation of the Daleks, and right now its Curse of Fenric.

Now, for a tenner its not a bad idea....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Or we could all go to blinkbox and look at the freebie stories there.

So are we going with this idea or not? And are we going in any particular order or just pick ones at random?

So are we going with this idea or not? And are we going in any particular order or just pick ones at random?
    Well I'm up for it.

Ordering - It depends on how much we're going to watch. If we're watching one classic story a month, for example, it would take forever so we'd have to pick highlights only. If we were speeding it up we could look at more complete seasons.
    As a starter, I'd recommend Season 7's "Spearhead From Space". Several reasons:
    * First colour serial
    * New Doctor
    * Introduction to UNIT as a big role
    * New companion for the audience
    * Introductes the Autons, who were also the introductory menace for the relaunch
    * It's a good story and only 4 parts

After that, I'm not sure where to go next but I think the subsequent serial - "Doctor Who and the Silurians" would be good because it deals with the Silurians intelligently, the Siluarians just featured in Season 31 (and so are fresh in people's minds), and again is a good story. Also is a very good showcase for the Pertwee's Doctor take on man's perchance for violence.

Other alternative is of course the first story: "An Unearthly Child". It shows its ages far more though and the Doctor is less recognisable in his characteristics. Would be more for a sake of completeness.

I back ixoy's idea.

EDIT: I do think we should jump around a bit though.

I've only seen a handful of Classic episodes so I'm happy to go with the majority, and Spearhead From Space sounds like a decent starting point

+1 to jumping around a bit, I don't think we have to see them all in the right order, we all have a general idea of what happened

+1 to jumping around a bit, I don't think we have to see them all in the right order, we all have a general idea of what happened
    Well we'll definitely then have to look at "Genesis of the Daleks", "City of Death" and "The Caves of Androzani" as well as others that we can nominate.

How long do you think we should give a story? The number of parts vary - should we work from that? Or give say 2 weeks or something?

I'd say a week would be enough for most stories, I'm sure most people could set aside half an hour a day so even if you only watched one part a day you could get through a 7-parter in a week fairly easily.

So then, shall we get this moving?

Chose a first story: "Doctor Who - Spearhead from Space" (7x01) or "An Unearthly Child" (1x01).

Which should we pick?

I vote Spearhead From Space

• Advertisement

+1 Spearhead from Space
    I like to pretend the 60s episodes don't exist - thank god most of them don't anymore ;)

Advertisement