Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Doctor Who Book/Audio Club.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    +1 Spearhead from Space
    I like to pretend the 60s episodes don't exist - thank god most of them don't anymore ;)
    Ah I like some of 'em but there's a definite change in direction with "Spearhead From Space".

Okay, the story is set - how long will we allow? Let's say to discuss it by next Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Sounds good to me

Great! I'll let someone else decide on the audios which I'm not that familiar with (only on #6 - The Marian Conspiracy).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Count me in for watching classic Who eps.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Wait... hang on, I missed that. Did we make a decision? Cool. "Spearhead..." is this a book? (I'm assuming yes, since you said story...)

• Advertisement

No it's the TV serial Spearhead From Space from series 7.

We'll be talking about it tomorrow, but I assume it'd still be okay to talk about for another week at least

nicowa wrote: »
    Wait... hang on, I missed that. Did we make a decision? Cool. "Spearhead..." is this a book? (I'm assuming yes, since you said story...)
    Nope. In fact, to make it more confusing, the novelisation for this serial is called "Doctor Who and the Auton Invasion".

Ah balls, I missed the post where the decision was made.

So, who did their homework? :D

I thought it was pretty good, took a while for things to get going but then they always do when there's a new Doctor

I loved the escape by wheelchair, probably my favourite part of the serial

Also good that he found a decent enough way to defeat them (similar to the way Ecclestone's Dr disabled the arm in Rose's apartment IIRC) and not "antiplastic"

Liz was good, I saw her in Inferno as well so had an idea of what to expect from her

However it did feel like things ended a bit abruptly, it seemed he only came up with a way to defeat them in the last 10 minutes, and the ending felt a bit rushed

Also, what was that octopus-thing supposed to be?

Here's a suggestion of what we should do for the next few:

Take a classic story from each Doctor.

That way we get to see what each one is like. Any takers?
    For the first Doctor, I've a number of suggestions:
    "An Unearthly Child": First ever DW story. It's actually not that good but it might be interesting as a curio.
    "The Daleks": First ever story about... Anyway it's interesting to see it setting the template for the many Dalek stories to come.
    "The Aztecs" - A good solid DW historical, dealing with the repercussions of time travelling.
    "The Gunfighters" - The Doctor visits the O.K. Corral. One of the funniest of the Hartnell era and well written (and you want to hit some of the characters less often!). Also, I believe, the only serial to feature singing within the show.

Any other suggestions or approach of course are welcome!

• Advertisement

I like the idea of going Doctor to Doctor :)

Out of those stories I'd like to see The Aztecs but that's because I'm fascinated by time travel in general, I'm sure others have much better reasons to watch the other stories, so I'll go with the final decision whatever it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've had a hectic week, so won't get a chance to watch Spearheads From Space until later tonight/tomorrow afternoon, but will be in there discussing it asap...

Love the idea of picking out the best from each Doctor...
    Out of the four you've named for Hartnell, I've seen An Unearthly Child and The Daleks - both are amazing and I'd highly recommend them, and the other two serials - Azteks and Gunfighters both sound great, so I'm cool with whatever...
    For all intents and purposes though, I'd like to watch and discuss The Gunfighters, but I'm good with whatever decision...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The McGann film should be watched too.

Okay decision time, I'm looking forward to watching a new serial over the coming week :)

Let's start with a First Doctor serial and go through the rest in order (skipping the Third Doctor until the second round of viewings) so that way we're not going round in circles arguing over what Doctor every week.

My vote goes to either "An Unearthly Child" or "The Daleks" as I'm curious to know how things start off both with the Doctor and his "greatest foe". We could watch the "Aztecs" or "The Gunfighters" when the second round of viewings comes round.

Stark wrote: »
    My vote goes to either "An Unearthly Child" or "The Daleks" as I'm curious to know how things start off both with the Doctor and his "greatest foe". We could watch the "Aztecs" or "The Gunfighters" when the second round of viewings comes round.
    I think that's a good idea! "The Daleks" is probably the better story but "An Unearthly Child" is interesting because we get to see people discovering the Doctor rather than the other way around. Admittedly it's mostly a pre-historic caveman story but the first episode is worthy of viewing anyway.

My votes for the daleks simply because we've just watched a "first" episode of a doctor.

Okay, let's go for the Daleks, it'll probably give us more to discuss. I can watch "An Unearthly child" in my own time :)

Stark wrote: »
    Okay, let's go for the Daleks, it'll probably give us more to discuss. I can watch "An Unearthly child" in my own time :)
    Yep. And maybe a Cyberman story for the 2nd Doctor (pickings there are slim enough - a lot of the good stories are lost).

Soooo... should I watch the Daleks over the weekend?

I'm stuck in Germany with work so I am sure it won't be a problem :)

Soooo... should I watch the Daleks over the weekend?

I'm stuck in Germany with work so I am sure it won't be a problem :)
    Yes, yes you should. It's a good choice because I think it's far more typical Who than "An Unearthly Child". Just remember - it's from 1963.

• Advertisement

I'm going to watch it anyway.

ixoy wrote: »
    Yes, yes you should. It's a good choice because I think it's far more typical Who than "An Unearthly Child". Just remember - it's from 1963.

So are Iron Man and the Beatles and they did all right. :)

Seriously though, people are going to have to put up with a little b n w if they want to reallly get into the history...

So far I'm finding the "first time X happened" bits interesting, like in spearhead the first reference to 2 hearts, so I am obviously looking forward to the source of the dalek mythos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Planning on settling in with this for the night :) Bottle of wine, superquinn pizza and Dr who, really what more could a girl want? ;)

A fez maybe....

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Planning on settling in with this for the night :) Bottle of wine, superquinn pizza and Dr who, really what more could a girl want? ;)

A fez maybe....

there's a joke there I can't quite put my finger on.

Well, I watched the Daleks, should I throw up a thread?

I'm only 3 episodes into it but throw up a thread if you like. I'll try and chip in with my thoughts so far while avoiding spoilers.

I'll wait for you to finish I think unless anyone else wants it RIGHT NAOW. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Might I suggest we set up a new thread for the Viewing club and revert this thread back to discussing releases from BBC Audio and Big Finish productions. Either that or rename this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

there's a joke there I can't quite put my finger on.

was it that it could be 'a fez to remember'?? No? I'll get me hat.....;)

• Advertisement

I'll wait for you to finish I think unless anyone else wants it RIGHT NAOW. :)
    Okay I didn't get a chance to re-watch this but I should be able to go with this even if my memory is a little rusty.

Advertisement