Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best CMS for dreamweaver integration?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi, firstly I will say I have never used a cms before.

I am looking into the option of upgrading some old sites to CMS and for all future websites to be designed with dreamweaver with CMS in mind.

my reasoning for not soely using a CMS(joomla! and the like) is that I want to design my site, not pay 20$+ for a template that looks like everything else.

What CMS works best with dreamweaver integration?
    Are there specific things I should do when coding in dreamweaver with a cms in mind? I've read things like adding comment tags can help integrating a dreamweaver built site to a cms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

I think you will find this difficult.

A CMS generally uses some sort of templating solution, combining a HTML page with special markup tags into a final page that is sent to the browser.

The HTML template may not even be contained on one file. This can make editing with Dreamweaver problematic.

You would be better off designing your HTML page and then chopping/editing it into a template for use with your chosen CMS.

I recommend you look at CMS's first - there are loads out there and there is a lot more than templating that will influence your choice.

I've seen people use Dreamweaver to produce some truly horrible HTML, so it is important you know how to produce valid HTML and CSS if you are going to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi op,
    Fcrossen is right. Do as he advises then i suggest using cms made simple. It's really easy to make templates and less complicated than other cms's..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

It really comes down to the CMS you choose. Some CMS are easier to template than others.

Regardless, you should be using Dreamweaver only to help build your template, not to some way magically integrate with a CMS.

My own preference is Typo3, but there's a massive learning curve involved. Once you understand it, templating is very easy, with just simple placeholders for wherever you want to place certain elements on your page.

Don't forget, Adobe do have a CMS product speficially for use with sites built by Dreamweaver.... Adobe Contribute. It's an desktop application though (not hugely different from Dreamweaver) and may not suit your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Moved from development.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

Use whatever your comfortable with, I've used Dreamweaver to design templates for Joomla, works fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cmspro

Please contact hello AT boards.ie if you wish to advertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hammer1981

Please contact hello AT boards.ie if you wish to advertise.

Advertisement