Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was it like being LGBT pre-1993?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I'm 20 years of age and I've been out for just about a year now. Every time that I've told someone that I'm bi they have accepted it and been pretty nice about it too. I've never had a bad experience.

I consider myself priviledged to be able to live in a society that is (semi)tolerant of my sexuality and I realise that any animosity that occurs on me is mostly due to religious/ignorant hatred.

However, I myself am ignorant. I can read the wiki article on the Stonewall rights and watch films like 'Milk' all I want but I'll never understand the day to day feelings of living in a country where who you are attracted to and love is a crime.

I would ask please, if anyone could please describe to me what it was like living in a pre-1993 Ireland as an LGBT person, if they could tell me please how things have changed for them, tell me what I and most other teen - 20 year olds take for granted and what they too would like to see in the future.

My apologies for making you show your age ( :P ) but I feel as proud to be bisexual as I feel being Irish and although I know from talking to people about how it felt to be Irish, I have never talked to an LGBT person who lived during criminalisation.

Much Regards!

Comments

Advertisement