Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about lighting kit for product photography... again

• 05-07-2010 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

My head is quite simply melted at this stage, having looked at over 100 lightning kits on countless websites I still haven't got a clue what I need for a good kit for product photography. Some people says strobes, others says continuous, arrrgh! :confused:

So 2 questions for the pros here.

1. Is this kit any good? It says 1000w per softbox, is this good? I am thinking 2 softboxes for the left and right of the product I will be shooting and one for the background.
    2. And would this kit produce great lighting like this photo: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-11531702-key-and-label.php ?
    Please help :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

I still haven't got a clue what I need for a good kit for product photography. Some people says strobes, others says continuous
    99% of actual pro's use strobes, colour temp, accessories available, quality and consistancy of light, their cool working temp - all essential reasons

would this kit produce great lighting like this(

the kit does NOT produce great lighting, the photographer does. If you know how to use light, you can get great photos from that kit or any other similar kit.

the main point is, we need to know, to give you the best answers:

what are you photographing, how much experience do you have using lights, do you have to shoot on location, what's your budget, will you want to change and shoot other things like portraits etc with the lights at some point

this kind of kit, is what a pro would start with: http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/BW4890UK/
    nd they'd generally have lots more light modifiers to play with too

but look at Strobist:
    for example: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html
    great results from really simple basic flash heads, without all the fancy lights and stands and softboxes.You need to learn how to light, not to buy a huge kit and expect it to give you good results out of the box, and you can learn really simply with some flashes

[*]And would this kit produce great lighting like this photo: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-11531702-key-and-label.php ?
    [/LIST]
    (

that photo is pretty rubbish and could be taken without any fancy lighting kits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭contentking

Answers in bold.
    DotOrg wrote: »

the kit does NOT produce great lighting, the photographer does. If you know how to use light, you can get great photos from that kit or any other similar kit.

So, I should buy this kit?

the main point is, we need to know, to give you the best answers:

what are you photographing, how much experience do you have using lights, do you have to shoot on location, what's your budget, will you want to change and shoot other things like portraits etc with the lights at some point

Just photographs, I just love the seamless white background effect. I have zero experience with lightning. I will always be shooting at home, no travel. Budget is €600. Portraits would be nice but not essential.

this kind of kit, is what a pro would start with: http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/BW4890UK/
    nd they'd generally have lots more light modifiers to play with too

but look at Strobist:
    for example: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html
    great results from really simple basic flash heads, without all the fancy lights and stands and softboxes.You need to learn how to light, not to buy a huge kit and expect it to give you good results out of the box, and you can learn really simply with some flashes

Well, I have to start somewhere I guess, I just want to get a decent kit to start playing with.

I just want to get a decent kit to start playing with.

go here, read this
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

watch this:

and then go buy two flashes, some stands and some umbrellas
    a selection of stuff like this

that's what you need to create great photos.

i think here on boards we need to have a lighting meetup if anybody has any ideas for a location and wants to share some knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

What size products? I got a lighting kit via ebay with two reversible umbrellas, stands and the flash adapters. You can get a set of radio triggers very cheaply and if you keep an eye on the strobist site, both an american company and asian company are building very cost effective strobes for about €100. You could probably do a lot with a single light and some reflectors but for product stuff I'd say two would be a better start.

Continuous lighting is probably more powerful in most cases and by virtue of being continuous they're very easy to place your light since you can see if moving over your subject (some strobes have a low powered modelling light button to do similar). They're very hot though for your subject.

Strobes are small, powerful and portable. Don't need a plug socket if you need to shoot on location. They're light too. Depending on your batteries they take a few seconds to recharge between shots (recycle time).

If you're going to shoot really big stuff, the more powerful lights will be handier, if you're shooting small bits, the strobes will be more appropriate. I'd start off cheap and small first, you'll see what fits you and what you need as you progress, and yeah a second vote for strobist.com

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

DotOrg wrote: »

i think here on boards we need to have a lighting meetup if anybody has any ideas for a location and wants to share some knowledge.

Sounds like a plan. I'd love to be shown how to use lights properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

turn em on and point them at things, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i think the first thing you need to do is figure out what you need/want

if it's stuff like your example - then it's small product lighting you'll want.

search - 'do it yourself light box' theres lots of tutorials on the net

if you want a general all round setup the basic will be a speedlight or two, or if your going to invest more - a two or three lamp set up with brollies or softboxes & maybe a modelling dish might suit.
    Theres lots more stuff you might need too - like a Light Meter, reflectors, stands,backdrops etc.
    take a look here Viewfinder Photography to see whats on offer - they've lots of different accessories for lighting etc.

Light Box one of the hundreds of tuts out there.

good luck

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

B4FE7042743C4B3380D2C1D22355AB3D-500.jpg

Note the seamless white background ;)

Setup:
    C3EDA3DB713847A2A95A1E6ED465D29F-500.jpg

d80 + Nikkor 50mm f1.4
    ISO100, 1/200, f/8
    Key Light: Nikon SB600 Bare, zoomed at camera right
    Fill: Vivitar 285HV + white shoot through umbrella, camera left
    Sweep: Cardboard A3 sheet from Easons art department.

Go the strobist route until you know you want an actual studio, in my opinion.

Advertisement