Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos With Excema

Options
  • 05-07-2010 5:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Howdy folks, I was wondering if anybody has ever tattooed over excema or know if it will effect the skin, tattoo, or healing process?
    I got excema 3 years ago out of nowhere and I have put my tattoo ideas on the back burner as a precaution.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

It depends really I guess how bad your eczema is, I have heard of people getting tattooed over it before and not had any problems.
    I would recommend asking your docter and a good tattooist to tell you more!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

This is a coverup on skin with severe excema. Length of time between sessions is around 4-6 weeks. After care is Bepathen for around 7-10 days and e45 afterwards. Yes it is slightly harder to tattoo over due to the skins redness and it makes it slightly harder for the artist. The customer,however, has said that due to the bright colours, their excema is not as noticable.
    As always, talk to your artist and make sure they feel they can handle the task, also make sure you feel comfortable with their ability to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 rubio

Thanks for the replies. I will consult with a dermatologist and artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Thing about eczema is that "flare ups" are usually down to diet/elements and stress.

Believe me I've had it since birth and it's been very f*cking annoying! (I've been wanting to get a sleeve for quite some time....and can't....but that's because my skin would be much more aggravated case than the next).

What I'm getting at is take heed of others' advice and get a doc to look at it and see what they think. I wouldn't like to spend hundreds on a piece of art just to have my skin not take the ink or for it to fade prematurely.

Let me know how you get on, and best of luck if you're going to go ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Personally I have psoriasis which isn't all that far removed from excema..

I have two tattoos, one on my right arm which was done in one 1 and a half sitting, afterwards my psoriasis flared up here even though I hadn't had any there previously (it usually appears where I have had a cut which has healed). After a couple of months of using my usual creams etc and being in the sun the psoriasis healed and the tattoo looks perfectly normal as opposed to bumpy and rough.

Second tattoo was more recently, first sitting was 2 hours and again slight flair up but nothing major, second sitting 2 weeks later was nearly 3 hours. Tattoo is healed and there is a small psoriasis flare up but again is being managed with application of my cream and small amounts of sun, 4/5 weeks later it is practically gone!

Hope this helps OP!

• Advertisement

I have an excema type named discoid excema. It leaves disc shaped scabs and when they clear up they leave a dark mark where they once reigned. I understand the skin is thinner after the use of topical steroid creams which may effect the tattoo. I am doing phototherapy in Vincents at present and am on my 10th session. It seems to be drying the excema up. I'm just worried about a flare up after a new tattoo. Good points made about diet and exercise too.

It's also worth mentioning before my onset of excema a couple of years ago I had 3 tattoos done on different areas of my body. All 3 were fine and healed normally.

Advertisement