Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did Revenue make a mistake?

• 05-07-2010 8:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Just got Revenue to do a "year of marraige review" and I'm very disappointed with the results to say the least.

I earned a fair bit in 2008 so was expecting a hefty refund, but only got €200. I was expecting more like €2000.

We were married in July 2008. My wife moved over from the UK and got a PPS number at the start of August.

The only thing the revenue did in their review was to give a "year of marriage tax credit" of around a thousand euro. They didn't give me ANY increased cut off point, which meant I was paying 41% tax !

Totally pissed off about this as I don't think its fair at all. Can't find any written down rules about this particular set of circumstances, so I presume the revenue just make it up as they go along (resulting in them refunding as little tax as possible)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,645 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Did they provide a breakdown of how the refund was determined?

The basic mechanics of this are as follows:

1. Calculate the tax of each person for the full year as 2 single individuals.
    2. Calculate the tax of the couple for the full year on the basis of married & jointly assessed
    3. [Assuming step 1 value > step 2 value] Refund a fraction of the difference, the fraction being number of months of marriage/12 (and the month of marriage counts as a full month, so if married in July the fraction would be 6/12)

You should check with the Revenue Commissioners if the step 2 values are correct- it's possible that they may have used incorrect SRCOP and tax credit values when doing that calculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

No, they didn't provide any breakdown of the calculation, just that €1054 was given as a "year of marriage tax credit". It would be simple if we were both Irish citizens for the entire year, but my wife only came over here after we got married in July.

I phoned the Revenue this morning and after being passed to a few different people, none of them could tell me what increase in cut-off point I was entitled to as a result of being married (if any). They took my phone number and said they would check it out.

So...fingers crossed!

Best case scenario is that I get the full married COP for the entire year.
    Worst case scenario is that I only get the single person's COP.

Ok, so the Revenue phoned me this morning and they re-did the calculation and they owe me an extra €500.

Turns out that they do a "calculation" for your year of marraige and they show that benefit to you as an extra tax credit. So for example even though their statement shows you paying 41% tax, the extra tax credit makes up for that.

So, if in doubt, it pays to ring them to get them to check their calculations.

Got a nice surprise waiting for me in the post box today.... two nice refund cheques from the revenue.

They only emailed me the "statements" to my ros inbox yesterday so well done Revenue!

Advertisement