Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo: Reach, new gamplay vid

Options
  • 05-07-2010 9:06am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Had to post this up,
    Halo: Reach has had many gameplay videos released, each one promising a better fps experience, a better Halo experience than ever before, polishing and enhancing the previous winning formulas, but this vid shows something totally new for the franchise,
    enjoy!

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/xbox-360/watch-halo-reach-space-combat-gameplay.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Not a Halo fan but that looks great.

Really want a Colony Wars or good Battlestar Galactica game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The FPS sections look nothing special at all but the space combat interestsme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

'I' expect more of the same with slightly better graphics as they will not get away with shoddy xbox 1 engine they have been using from halo 2 and a bit of space shooting thrown in for a 'new feature' which hopefully will last more that 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

It's good to see that Sage Merrel is freshening up the series after the dour third outing. The multiplayer looks really competitive and if it is tweaked a bit from the beta, it'll be a very successful game for MLG. And Sage worked on the very good Crimson Skies for the Xbox; so, the flight second should be good and not feel tacked on.

That said, I wasn't too impressed with the combat in the trailers, especially the gimmicky third-person assassination kill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

expect more of the same with slightly better graphics as they will not get away with shoddy xbox 1 engine they have been using from halo 2 and a bit of space shooting thrown in for a 'new feature' which hopefully will last more that 20 mins.

Honestly, I don't think you're comment holds up to any scrutiny whatsoever,
    Halo: Reach is running on a brand new engine, this info is to be found all over the net, although there is a certain number of flamers putting around ideas to the contrary.
    And as for "the bit of space shooting", why not appreciate what a change it is for a FPS to have this in, and then see how they have integrated it into the main game, before you crap on it.

And, since when was the Halo: Combat Evolved engine "shoddy"?
    Taken in context, remembering the era it was released, the game was very well put together, played great and that was with a title that was originally for the Mac and had a terrible outing at the previous E3, it was a surprise to everyone just how good it was.

Most of the critisism of Halo is due to the repetition of level assets, the arrival of the Flood wasn't to everyones taste either, but the actual nuts and bolts of the game are beyond reproach, and the fact that Sony spent the remaining lifespan of the PS2 failing to equal Halo, nevermind Halo 2 is testament to the fact, I mean, who wants to play Killzone? I mean, really? It's sh1te and that was Sonys best attempt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Halo: Reach is running on a brand new engine, this info is to be found all over the net, although there is a certain number of flamers putting around ideas to the contrary.
    And as for "the bit of space shooting", why not appreciate what a change it is for a FPS to have this in, and then see how they have integrated it into the main game, before you crap on it.

Taken in context, remembering the era it was released, the game was very well put together, played great and that was with a title that was originally for the Mac and had a terrible outing at the previous E3, it was a surprise to everyone just how good it was.

Most of the critisism of Halo is due to the repetition of level assets, the arrival of the Flood wasn't to everyones taste either, but the actual nuts and bolts of the game are beyond reproach, and the fact that Sony spent the remaining lifespan of the PS2 failing to equal Halo, nevermind Halo 2 is testament to the fact, I mean, who wants to play Killzone? I mean, really? It's sh1te and that was Sonys best attempt!

The Freeman got owned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well Halo 3's engine really wasn't all that impressive and Halo 2 was a very poor game like Killzone was in single player. I also think that the criticism that Halos gameplay hasn't changed 1 bit since the first game can't be ignored and it's been totally left behind by advances in the genre since the first game and feels archaic. The FPS sections that have been shown show nothing to make me believe it's going to play the exact same. Also features like Forge and multiplayer modes are touted as revolutionary when they have been standard in multiplayer games since the 90's and forge is a poor excuse for a level editor.

Also Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter had FPS and space sim integrated. It was ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well Halo 3's engine really wasn't all that impressive and Halo 2 was a very poor game like Killzone was in single player. I also think that the criticism that Halos gameplay hasn't changed 1 bit since the first game can't be ignored and it's been totally left behind by advances in the genre since the first game and feels archaic. The FPS sections that have been shown show nothing to make me believe it's going to play the exact same. Also features like Forge and multiplayer modes are touted as revolutionary when they have been standard in multiplayer games since the 90's and forge is a poor excuse for a level editor.

Also Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter had FPS and space sim integrated. It was ****.
    It wasn't the gameplay that he said hadn't changed since Halo, it was the game engine itself, he maintained that Reach will use the same engine as Halo.
    And of course it has been left behind, how long has it been since it was released? 5 years? There'd be something wrong with a genre if it had not been eclipsed.
    I don't play multiplayer Halo/2/3/ODST and I don't think I'll be playing Reach online either, but then I don't play online multiplayer at all!

There are those that enjoy "marines in space" FPS and there are those who don't, and never the twain shall meet.
    We could have the same conversation about vertically scrolling shooters like Ikaruga, horizontally scrolling shooters like R-Type or that genre of genres Horizontally scrolling beat'em ups, my fave!

Yes, Mace Griffin sucked, and it had that guy with the veiny neck doing the vocals, a whole Deirdre Barlow thing going on with Henry Rollins, although I'm not going to say that to his very angry face!

And I am going to slap the puss off you on Saturday Retro!

I can see after reading the last paragraph of your post stating that killzone is ****e that you could be an xbox fanboy, i have both 360 and ps3.had both previous generations consoles and appreciate all the goodness of both

I shall now address your your comments you previously posted...

with regards to 'a whole new engine' the developers are using for this game-I would not expect that there will be any huge ground broken due to the fact that this game is the last in the series from this developer. if they were not bothered making ODST look anyway better than halo 3, i am sure this is not going to look in the same ball park as the likes of gears of war or uncharted 2.i mean why would they develop a new engine for 1 game??
    if Bungie can justify releasing ODST as a full release with a 5-6 hour campaign, extra multiplayer maps/features for 50e, they sure can justify releasing a short/slightly prettier game with '20 mins of space shooting' for 50e
    also in my opinion there is just not that much a differance in the graphics between halo 2 and halo 3.
    (i play my games on a HD projector which makes or breaks games graphically, halo 3 didn't look so good, gears of war/uncharted 2 did)

you made referance to 'flamers', could you please state what exactly a flamer is?on urban dictionary it stated was a..

Extremely flamboyant homosexual. Very bright clothing, loud speach, upbeat attitude, often noisy or annoying, intrusive. Very very gay...

is this what you are making referance to ?

with regards to your referance to halo:combat evloved... not going to address this as you are defending halo 1 which is not what we are talking about here. I was making reference to the same engine being from halo 2 tweaked to what they used on ODST 5 years later.(just look at the facial animations on both games as an example, they are the same)

now we shall see how this 'space shooting'(and wasn't crapping on the feature as you stated) fits in when the game is released, i expect it to work as the developers are very good at vehicle mechanic control like the rest of the game series.
    hope it is not a marketing gimmick they use to sell another half million copies with this 'GENRE CHANGING FEATURE', which is what it will be advertised as.

btw wasn't bothered with the flood in the first game but playing the same level over and over and over again got old and was lazy developing imo.

p.s. when you start a thread you have to expect people to approve or disapprove the source material, you can not defend the material against someone disliking it,after all it is a discussion you started.

also it is not up to you to state whether or not my statements hold up to YOUR scrutiny mate.

It wasn't the gameplay that he said hadn't changed since Halo, it was the game engine itself, he maintained that Reach will use the same engine as Halo.

wrong!

i made referance to xbox 1's engine(halo 2 would fall under that category)
    and i did not 'maintain' that reach will use the same engine as the first.
    there is really not alot in the differance in the graphics of 2-3 in the series...
    692973928_8f8e69008b.jpg
    also halo 3 is only 640p it isin't even in high def and it is on a high def console which is hardly acceptable for such a big flagship game on a new generation console(at the time)

• Advertisement

Now now, a flamer being someone who see's a games title and immediately has to say something derogatory about it, I'm like that with Streets of Rage and Goldenaxe, as I used to be with Gunstar Heroes!
    I will likely move on to something else, just to keep things fresh!

And as for your apparent dislike of Halo, fair enough, there are plenty of people in these parts who agree with you, so good for you.

One thing I am not is a fanboy, that word isn't very nice and given my considerable game and console collection, and my strong line on "it doesn't matter what the host hardware is, if the game is great, it's great".

Regarding what will or will not be used to advertise Halo:Reach, who cares?
    I don't.
    I will read some reviews, then, if I think it warrants purchase, I'll buy it.
    I don't preorder games based on the advert blurb, not many right minded people do.
    As yet ads for Halo games, and many others, seem to aim there sights a little higher than a feature list, but once again, this won't really bother me either way.
    I'll just wait for Edge to give it 10/10 then go and buy it!! ;) that one's for you retro!

But seriously, do what you like, play it, don't play it, buy it, steal it, don't care.
    I just posted the vid because I thought it looked cool.
    Few space shooters have interested me since I played iWar many many moons ago, and this one, integrated into a Halo game seemed an intriguing diversion for the usual space marine hijinks the series is normally known for.

I think, regarding threads and criticism, that once posted ANY comment is open for said criticism, be it the OP or a difference of opinion.
    After all, wouldn't it be a boring old world if we all agreed?

Retrogamer and I have differed over Halo for ages now, and it's normally good natured fun, I do know not to buy him a box of Halo themeed Megablox for Xmas and he knows that Goldenaxe will be returned to sender, in pieces, no harm there at all.

And, for the record, you may or may not have liked the first Killzone on the PS2, but it sucked, and most people will agree, Killzone 2 was a massive improvement, I really really enjoyed it, but the original did too many things badly.
    I have around 200 games for the PS2 at this point, and there are some of the best games ever in there, I am a Team Ico fanboy if anything!
    But I never found an FPS on the system that bettered Halo or Halo 2.
    That's just my opinion, there are lots of other opinions here, so you should fit in just fine.

Don't take my desire to debate the merits of Halo as anything personal either.

But seriously.
    Don't ever please accuse me, or come close to accusing me of some sort of sexual based abuse.
    Don't like it.
    Don't appreciate it.
    And next time I'll get a mod involved with a report.
    Thanks for your time.

And I am going to slap the puss off you on Saturday Retro!

Keep your promise about the Virtual Boy and vectrex and you can do what ever you want to me.

I think looking from the videos that the Reach engine is definitely a new engine and if not it's a radical rebuild of the engine. Basing a new engine on an old one doesn't mean the engine can't improve. I bet you never knew that the Source engine is still based on the Quake source code but heavily modified. The Halo 3 engine was a big let down but this seems like a massive improvement. And ODST uses the Halo 3 engine because it was originally planned as a DLC expansion. Also most games don't run at 720p or any where near it. Most PS3 games that do run at 1080p or 720p are actually running at variable resolutions that drop when the game gets hectic.

Now now, a flamer being someone who see's a games title and immediately has to say something derogatory about it, I'm like that with Streets of Rage and Goldenaxe, as I used to be with Gunstar Heroes!
    I will likely move on to something else, just to keep things fresh!

And as for your apparent dislike of Halo, fair enough, there are plenty of people in these parts who agree with you, so good for you.

One thing I am not is a fanboy, that word isn't very nice and given my considerable game and console collection, and my strong line on "it doesn't matter what the host hardware is, if the game is great, it's great".

Regarding what will or will not be used to advertise Halo:Reach, who cares?
    I don't.
    I will read some reviews, then, if I think it warrants purchase, I'll buy it.
    I don't preorder games based on the advert blurb, not many right minded people do.
    As yet ads for Halo games, and many others, seem to aim there sights a little higher than a feature list, but once again, this won't really bother me either way.
    I'll just wait for Edge to give it 10/10 then go and buy it!! ;) that one's for you retro!

But seriously, do what you like, play it, don't play it, buy it, steal it, don't care.
    I just posted the vid because I thought it looked cool.
    Few space shooters have interested me since I played iWar many many moons ago, and this one, integrated into a Halo game seemed an intriguing diversion for the usual space marine hijinks the series is normally known for.

I think, regarding threads and criticism, that once posted ANY comment is open for said criticism, be it the OP or a difference of opinion.
    After all, wouldn't it be a boring old world if we all agreed?

Retrogamer and I have differed over Halo for ages now, and it's normally good natured fun, I do know not to buy him a box of Halo themeed Megablox for Xmas and he knows that Goldenaxe will be returned to sender, in pieces, no harm there at all.

And, for the record, you may or may not have liked the first Killzone on the PS2, but it sucked, and most people will agree, Killzone 2 was a massive improvement, I really really enjoyed it, but the original did too many things badly.
    I have around 200 games for the PS2 at this point, and there are some of the best games ever in there, I am a Team Ico fanboy if anything!
    But I never found an FPS on the system that bettered Halo or Halo 2.
    That's just my opinion, there are lots of other opinions here, so you should fit in just fine.

Don't take my desire to debate the merits of Halo as anything personal either.

But seriously.
    Don't ever please accuse me, or come close to accusing me of some sort of sexual based abuse.
    Don't like it.
    Don't appreciate it.
    And next time I'll get a mod involved with a report.
    Thanks for your time.

with regards to accusing you of some sort of sexual based abuse come on now?! really??
    i googled the word as i have never heard it before and this is what came up, an di clicked on the first link..
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=PcX&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=flamer&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

on second inspection i should have done more investigation, but that is what came up. i ain't one for making acquisations and didn't mean it to come across as offensive, i was merely trying to clear up your statement.

you just made referance to my dislike to halo there, i stated earlier i was a fan of the series and appreciate it for what it is.

re-read your first reply to my first statement there and see that 'you' were making acquisations-
    you stated that i said halo 1 was shoddy,you also stated i was 'craping on a game before it came out', i am merely stating what i think what it is going to be like when it comes out, and going on the developers past record it isin't a bad guess imo.

all in all, i am looking forward to playing the game when it comes out and will give it a play through atleast, pending reviews of course.

and yes it would be boring of we all agreed,but when someone decides to completley crap on anothers statement instead of an open ended question/discussion it is when it puts 'ones' back up.

if you want to get the mods involved...by all means, fire ahead, couldn't car less

Most PS3 games that do run at 1080p or 720p are actually running at variable resolutions that drop when the game gets hectic.

good to know,i knew there was a problem with running a few cross platform games red dead, bayonetta, rainbow six-vegas's, gta4 and had to drop resolution for the ps3, but i didn't know games dropped in frame rate when 'the going gets tough' on the ps3, does this apply to the ps3 and xbox360 also retro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Looks pretty good... I played the beta but i didn't really like it. However i will be buying Reach for the campaign... and i know i will end up addicted to the MP aswell :P

Decent discussion for the most part. I'm a huge halo fan, but i dont bother get into arguments with people who hate it any more.

Although i have noticed that the Halo series is bashed much more than any other series of games, but i suppose there has to be one...

good to know,i knew there was a problem with running a few cross platform games red dead, bayonetta, rainbow six-vegas's, gta4 and had to drop resolution for the ps3, but i didn't know games dropped in frame rate when 'the going gets tough' on the ps3, does this apply to the ps3 and xbox360 also retro?

They don't drop framerate, they drop resolution. So far it's only cleverly programmed games from sonys first parties like Killzone 2, Wipeout HD and Uncharted 2 that do it although there's a few third party games that do it like Street Fighter 4 (Super SF4 actually runs at constant 720p). It's actually a very clever trick and since the screen is hectic it's not noticeable at all in gameplay. Seems the PS3 is the only machine that is capable of it. The reduced resolution in games like Red Dead and Bayonetta is just the result of poor conversions of games that were made for the 360 and then ported across.

They don't drop framerate, they drop resolution. So far it's only cleverly programmed games from sonys first parties like Killzone 2, Wipeout HD and Uncharted 2 that do it although there's a few third party games that do it like Street Fighter 4 (Super SF4 actually runs at constant 720p). It's actually a very clever trick and since the screen is hectic it's not noticeable at all in gameplay. Seems the PS3 is the only machine that is capable of it. The reduced resolution in games like Red Dead and Bayonetta is just the result of poor conversions of games that were made for the 360 and then ported across.

ah yes my apologies meant to save drop in resolution.

interesting to see that uncharted goes down in resolution , that was one game i thought that was at a constant 1080p as it looks flawless in every image, including that awesome train level

still think it is incredible that development studios have still not got the hang of crossing over games from xbox to ps3 fully, especially the likes of red dead which is such a big game, i am sure the ongoing ps3 v 360 red dead resolution debate cost sony a feb bob to say the least.

the second i finished uncharted 2 a couple of months ago, i threw on the ballad of gay tony, the resolution was noticably lower, and if things started moving fast it wouls stutter, very bad.
    can't remember being that jittery on the 360.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm looking forward to this, but not for the multiplayer. I actually enjoyed the single player in Halo 3. True, it didnt do anything amazing, but i guess i'm just a sucker for some well scripted sequences with a fantastic score.

It may have been lost in the storm in a tea cup, but I too enjoy the series' singleplayer and eagerly await the new chapter.
    Being the fanboy, non-flamer that I am. ;)

Sometimes things get a little out of hand, can't we all get along?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0

It may have been lost in the storm in a tea cup, but I too enjoy the series' singleplayer and eagerly await the new chapter.
    Being the fanboy, non-flamer that I am. ;)

Sometimes things get a little out of hand, can't we all get along?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0

;)

until the winter break this and mafia 2 are the 2 games i am looking forward to the most so fingers creossed it is atleast as good as the previous outings and possibly a bit longer of a campaign.

• Advertisement

Couldn't get into Mafia, found the cars too slow, but then I have to say I found GTA IV eventually wore me down and I found it boring.
    GTA III was more compelling because it was new, and GTA VC was great because, well, it was the 80's! My decade!

Not sure if sandbox, non-linear gameplay will ever be, by it's very nature, a better story teller than a well crafted linear game.
    Most of my favourite single player games are linear, despite efforts to make the paths through the story wider, you still have to hit certain "checkpoints", Mass Effect 2 was case and point, big sprawling RPG it might seem, but ultimately it came across as a 3rd Person Shooter where you chose what order you hit the levels and if you were a good or bad guy/girl. I know it was a little more complicated than that but that's how I found it.

I was looking forward to AvP but it didn't set the world on fire, same with Bioshock 2.
    Gran Turismo 5 is the one, along with whatever goodies Kinect and the 3DS bring to the party.
    Plus I'm hoping to pick up either and iphone or HTC Desire, so some new gaming opportunities there perhaps, if only to play NES games on an emu, again, despite having the originals already!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not sure if sandbox, non-linear gameplay will ever be, by it's very nature, a better story teller than a well crafted linear game.

I can tell you, as someone who regards story as one of, if not the, most important aspects of a game, that the story in Mafia was fantastic. You should definitely not let the driving stop you from playing it.

But there was my problem of dozing off driving between missions!

Advertisement