Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Market Quarter

• 05-07-2010 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Stolen from the facebook page of the Mardi Gras group.

The ‘Market Quarter’ idea is the brainchild of a group of ‘like minded business people’ who made the decision to work together to drive business forward in their area of Limerick and over the past number of months and organisers say the re-development of the Milk Market presented a great opportunity to act as a catalyst for change in the area.

The Market Quarter includes Denmark St, Upper Denmark St, Cornmarket Row, Carr St, Robert St, Ellen Street & Patrick St from the Ellen Street junction to the Denmark Street junction. Venues participating in the event include Phil Flannery’s, The Bailey, O’Connells Bar, The Cuckoo Box, Smyth’s Bar &Icon, Angel Lane Night Club, Flannery’s Bar and Molly Malone’s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Sp, what would people like to see the Market Quarter become? Limerick's answer to Shop Street or Temple Bar? A one stop place for all party goers in Limerick? A new pedestrianised area?

Anyone (Ken?) know of any other events planned for the area?

Fair play to the businesses involved, sure it's good for business, but it's even better for the city as a whole, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Sp, what would people like to see the Market Quarter become?

A carpark for the opera centre.. :D

Stab*City wrote: »
    A carpark for the opera centre.. :D

Just cause you're too old to go out! Haters going to hate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Best of luck to them, its procative, inventive and going by the reception of Mardi Gras, being very well received.

- The rest of the Limerick Shop/Business Owners seem to be pinning their hopes of survival on maintaining high prices and bitching when nobody visits while blaming everything on the City Council - who incidentally are worse than useless also..... :p

A marketing ploy to sell more beer.. But hey if your a binge drinking socialite... RESULT!! Cant wait for this weeks pics in out n about.. or whats that other column in the paper jason nash & mike buckleys limerick in lights is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

A marketing ploy to sell more beer..

And..........

If it brings crowds to the city center then who cares?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    And..........

If it brings crowds to the city center then who cares?

Maybe the people who use the city centre for other purposes than getting pissed.

Maybe the people who use the city centre for other purposes than getting pissed.

:rolleyes:

Yes because the city center is a hive of activity at the moment.
    What exactly would you need to be doing in that area of a Saturday evening that it would interfere with?? I'm sure Utopia will still be open if that's what's bothering you.

You have a problem with pubs, a lot of people don't and the market (no pun intended) will dictate very quickly if something like this will work or not.

Fair play to people for making the effort and hopefully it works out for them, even if it were only 3 or 4 events a year.

Yes, a few pubs getting together to put on events is pretty much going to destroy the perfect city centre we currently have...

I would hope (maybe dream) that if these pubs are successful, more restaurants will open in the area to take advantage of crowds, more shops will open and open later to avail of the customers, in short, the area is actually somewhere people want to go.

Do you ever walk down Shop Street on a Saturday night? This is a tiny, small step in the right direction towards giving Limerick somewhere like that.

:rolleyes:

Yes because the city center is a hive of activity at the moment.
    What exactly would you need to be doing in that area of a Saturday evening that it would interfere with?? I'm sure Utopia will still be open if that's what's bothering you.

You have a problem with pubs, a lot of people don't and the market (no pun intended) will dictate very quickly if something like this will work or not.

Fair play to people for making the effort and hopefully it works out for them, even if it were only 3 or 4 events a year.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey im all for things happening.. And yes its a good thing that things are happening.. god knows when the rain is back that will put an end to any outdoor celebrations and we will all be stuck again with either the pub/cinema/couch/go karting.. but this is just a ploy to sell more beer simple.. i dont drink as you may notice so im not as excited by the thoughts as you are.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey im all for things happening.. And yes its a good thing that things are happening.. god knows when the rain is back that will put an end to any outdoor celebrations and we will all be stuck again with either the pub/cinema/couch/go karting.. but this is just a ploy to sell more beer simple.. i dont drink as you may notice so im not as excited by the thoughts as you are.

Well, chances are the organisers of the Mardi Gras will read this (Hi Ken!), what would you like to see them do?

For example, I think outdoor concerts would be great, but how about staging some outdoor films somewhere near there, say Arthur's Quay park, or project the film unto one of the walls of St. Michaels Church (or somesuch).

Btw, of course it's a ploy to sell more beer, they are businesses, what do you want them to do? If you want to see free entertainment in the city centre, start a group willing to provide it. Afaik, the Art College has a few such groups you could join/volunteer for.

Yes, a few pubs getting together to put on events is pretty much going to destroy the perfect city centre we currently have...

I would hope (maybe dream) that if these pubs are successful, more restaurants will open in the area to take advantage of crowds, more shops will open and open later to avail of the customers, in short, the area is actually somewhere people want to go.

Do you ever walk down Shop Street on a Saturday night? This is a tiny, small step in the right direction towards giving Limerick somewhere like that.

I HAVE A DREAM!! AND IN THAT DREAM BLACKS AND WHITES WILL WALK HAND IN HAND AND THE PEOPLE OF LIMERICK CAN RECLAIM THE CITY CENTRE FOR GETTING PISSED.. yey.

LOL calm down it was just one street festival.. lets not get ahead of ourselves..Sure like i said if your a drinker then result!!

For example, I think outdoor concerts would be great, but how about staging some outdoor films somewhere near there, say Arthur's Quay park, or project the film unto one of the walls of St. Michaels Church (or somesuch).

Now i like the sound of those ideas.. Plus something for the kids.. maybe a kids parade..

I HAVE A DREAM!! AND IN THAT DREAM BLACKS AND WHITES WILL WALK HAND IN HAND AND THE PEOPLE OF LIMERICK CAN RECLAIM THE CITY CENTRE FOR GETTING PISSED.. yey.

LOL calm down it was just one street festival.. lets not get ahead of ourselves..Sure like i said if your a drinker then result!!

It's not so much one festival as people willing to try something that I'm applauding, my missus lives in Galway, i can get drunk on the streets there any time I want. I'm just happy to see Limerick businesses being pro-active for a change. Like I'm glad we had people willing to stage a marathon, even if I may never run it. People going out to try things will always get my support ahead of people whining online.

Now i like the sound of those ideas.. Plus something for the kids.. maybe a kids parade..

Ok, ok, I have it, bear with me, it's coming!!

PETTING ZOO!! Woah, yeah, that's it, give me five! Petting Zoo for kids in the morning, then petting zoo themed night for the adults in the evening (see what I did there, genius play on words, a pun if you will). A night called the Petting Zoo, what girl could resist, but mainly a chance for kids to feed animals in the morning!

****, I'm dizzy.

How about a badger parade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

A marketing ploy to sell more beer..

STOP THE PRESS!!! Pubs in "wanting to sell beer" shocker!!!!

Ploy is such a dirty word, try initiative.

People going out to try things will always get my support ahead of people whining online.

Well its the publicans looking for your money support not me so your onto a winner there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Ok, ok, I have it, bear with me, it's coming!!

PETTING ZOO!! Woah, yeah, that's it, give me five! Petting Zoo for kids in the morning, then petting zoo themed night for the adults in the evening (see what I did there, genius play on words, a pun if you will). A night called the Petting Zoo, what girl could resist, but mainly a chance for kids to feed animals in the morning!

****, I'm dizzy.

Ok, just so we're clear - you're proposing a Heavy Petting Zoo?
    How about a badger parade?

Followed by Foxy Boxing and Monkey Knife-Fighting?
    zuroph wrote: »
    STOP THE PRESS!!! Pubs in "wanting to sell beer" shocker!!!!

Ploy is such a dirty word, try initiative.

The Genius of Spin - He'd probably write off a day trip from the Retirement Home as "Geriatrics in coke-fuelled shocker Coach-trip Orgy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

@stab*city.....your negativity throughout limerick threads really does get old extremely fast.

To answer the OP more well managed outdoor events. The security/stewarding/guards were central to the success of saturday night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Well its the publicans looking for your money support not me so your onto a winner there..

wow. just wow.

people like you complain that nothing good ever happens in Limerick and then when something good happens for the palce you find flaws in it................................ or in this case not find flaws but start bitching about it instead.

stop being douchey:D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

I took my 2 kids into Denmark street on Saturday evening.
    Guess what??
    They had a great time.
    Such a positive event as this does struggle to appease the more negative of citizens.
    There's no pleasing some folk.

Great atmosphere on a street that i will admit attracts some imposing figures on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'd heard Stab City loves Joe Duffy. Sets the alarm on the cooker to go off when Liveline is on :D

I'm raging I missed the Mardi Gras...couldn't afford it as I was going to Bob Dylan and out on the town afterwards. Would love to see more of this kind of thing. That area of the city is buzzing at the moment. Long may it continue.

ronanc15 wrote: »
    @stab*city.....your negativity throughout limerick threads really does get old extremely fast.

And you lack of posts throughout the limerick threads makes me not care what you think..

Icky Thump wrote: »
    wow. just wow.

people like you complain that nothing good ever happens in Limerick and then when something good happens for the palce you find flaws in it................................ or in this case not find flaws but start bitching about it instead.

stop being douchey:D

Again this is an meerly a drinks promotion.. not the F**King regeneration project!

gihj wrote: »
    I took my 2 kids into Denmark street on Saturday evening.
    Guess what??
    They had a great time.

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Good for you.

Yes and good for all the kids that attended as well.
    You're missing the point.
    It was for adults AND kids.
    So had you researched it properly you would have seen that it was not only aimed at selling beer (not your scene) but also for the kids (what you previously asked for).

Never mind.
    Carry on with your on screen persona (adopted or otherwise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

And you lack of posts throughout the limerick threads makes me not care what you think..

Wow, haha. Just wow.

Firstly, because I only post where I feel it is relevant or of some value to the thread that makes my opinion of less value than yours. It's a post count buddy, get a life.

Secondly, judging by your fantastic posts and simply by your username you are one of these people who thrives in the idea of Limerick being portrayed as a sh1thole and seem to resist any change away from this idea.

You're entitled to your own opinion as is everyone else but a bit of maturity and a wider view of things would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

If the Mardi Gras isn't your thing, so be it but don't use your time and efforts in bad mouthing it. Why not use the time in promoting the events that you enjoy and be an asset to those events rather than a liability to festivals like Mardi Gras.

• Advertisement

Again this is an meerly a drinks promotion.. not the F**King regeneration project!

Galway have built a thriving tourism trade based on "drinks promotions" as you call them. If Limerick gets a reputation for being able to throw a good party then nearly everyone in the city benefits not just pubs. Hotels, restaurants, taxi men, Romanian flower sellers etc.

Just because you are in the minority doesn't give you the right to dismiss other peoples attempts to get the city center back on it's feet.

Go away and run a cultural film festival and see how many people it attracts.

Advertisement