Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Market Quarter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Go away and run a cultural film festival and see how many people it attracts.

Hey, what's wrong with cultural film festivals?

How about this for a film festival plan.

First night, use the wall at the end of Augustian Lane (beside Mickey Martins) as the screen.
    Second night use the interior ceiling of the market, yes that's right, lie on your back watch movies on the ceiling, freaky.
    Third night inside Daghda (or St. Mary's Cathedral)
    Fourth Night set a screen up inside the Courtyard of King John's Castle
    etc etc.

We all say we want a city centre cinema, how about we get Stab to turn the city centre into a cinema for a week? Who's with me? Go for it Stab! Just roll tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Go away and run a cultural film festival and see how many people it attracts.

In scumbag town? Yeah right...

In scumbag town? Yeah right...

Sigh, the Belltable have run a film festival for the last few years, as well as showing Arthouse films fairly frequently (prior to the current renovation) Storm also had a Japanese film festival last summer.

It's an awful pity we never met up TC, think of all the subtitled films we could have shared! If only you'd shared your interest in cultural films earlier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

gihj wrote: »
    Yes and good for all the kids that attended as well.
    You're missing the point.
    It was for adults AND kids.
    So had you researched it properly you would have seen that it was not only aimed at selling beer (not your scene) but also for the kids (what you previously asked for).

Never mind.
    Carry on with your on screen persona (adopted or otherwise).

Whats there to research it was a big piss up.. Not where i want to bring my kids.. each to his own though..

screen persona.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Stab*City wrote: »
    Whats there to research it was a big piss up.. Not where i want to bring my kids.. each to his own though..

screen persona.. lol

Were you there?????
    No.

Was i there??
    Yes.

Incorrect.
    Try again pal.

• Advertisement

Were you there?????
    No.

Was i there??
    Yes.

Incorrect.
    Try again pal.

Who said i wasnt there? I said i didnt drink..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Hey, what's wrong with cultural film festivals?

How about this for a film festival plan.

First night, use the wall at the end of Augustian Lane (beside Mickey Martins) as the screen.
    Second night use the interior ceiling of the market, yes that's right, lie on your back watch movies on the ceiling, freaky.
    Third night inside Daghda (or St. Mary's Cathedral)
    Fourth Night set a screen up inside the Courtyard of King John's Castle
    etc etc.

We all say we want a city centre cinema, how about we get Stab to turn the city centre into a cinema for a week? Who's with me? Go for it Stab! Just roll tape.

There is nothing wrong with it. It would be great and the more events like that the better but unless it's a very established festival it will struggle to draw any sort of meaningful crowd. A film festival would need to be run in conjunction with a party/drink fest type thing.

Look at the Cork Jazz festival, it draws huge crowds, yet in any of the years I was there I don't think I saw as much as a saxaphone, and the same would have gone for a lot people. They went for the atmosphere, craic as opposed to the actual jazz.

Who said i wasnt there? I said i didnt drink..

So you DID see the kids then??
    You just choose to ignore that on here to push your agenda (whatever that may be).
    Is it worth it i wonder??
    I wish i had the energy day after day.

There is nothing wrong with it. It would be great and the more events like that the better but unless it's a very established festival it will struggle to draw any sort of meaningful crowd. A film festival would need to be run in conjunction with a party/drink fest type thing.

Look at the Cork Jazz festival, it draws huge crowds, yet in any of the years I was there I don't think I saw as much as a saxaphone, and the same would have gone for a lot people. They went for the atmosphere, craic as opposed to the actual jazz.

We really missed out on making riverfest something big the year after Eightball had it, that year was epic. Maybe the marathon is a step towards fixing that but I don't know.

I don't think it does anyone any good to compare with very well established events like the Jazz festival, or Arts week or Race week in Galway, all those events have been going for decades at this stage. I'd be happy enough if any of the current events just got established enough to be considered annual, after that we can worry about making them big deals to people from outside Limerick.

However, things are improving, concerts in Thomond Park, Pig and Porter, Riverfest, Mardi Gras etc. We still in the very early days, imo.

You just choose to ignore that on here to push your agenda (whatever that may be).

Kids there or not i dont want my kids anywhere near a pub or place where people are openly getting drunk.. as for my agenda i simply call it as i see it.. a drinks promotion.. as for your energy levels only you can fix that..

• Advertisement

It's a hard road if you're going to argue with the resident negatives on this board gihj. After a while I think you just have accept some people can't help, and possibly enjoy, being negative.

We really missed out on making riverfest something big the year after Eightball had it, that year was epic. Maybe the marathon is a step towards fixing that but I don't know.

I don't think it does anyone any good to compare with very well established events like the Jazz festival, or Arts week or Race week in Galway, all those events have been going for decades at this stage. I'd be happy enough if any of the current events just got established enough to be considered annual, after that we can worry about making them big deals to people from outside Limerick.

However, things are improving, concerts in Thomond Park, Pig and Porter, Riverfest, Mardi Gras etc. We still in the very early days, imo.

I agree with everything you just said.. i just dont agree with blatant drinks promotions being masquerading as our citys saviour..

Kids there or not i dont want my kids anywhere near a pub or place where people are openly getting drunk.. as for my agenda i simply call it as i see it.. a drinks promotion.. as for your energy levels only you can fix that..

Your choice obviously.
    However,
    I don't believe you were there going by your earlier posts.
    And if you were then you didn't see what i saw which was a fun event for all ages.
    You are the only person i have come across since then without anything positive to say about it.

You call it how you don't see it.;)

It's a hard road if you're going to argue with the resident negatives on this board gihj. After a while I think you just have accept some people can't help, and possibly enjoy, being negative.

spoken like a true sheep... baaaaa...:D:D:D

I agree with everything you just said.. i just dont agree with blatant drinks promotions being masquerading as our citys saviour..

I don't see any claims on the literature regarding this event being the cities saviour.

Saviour from what exactly???
    The likes of you and your adopted opinions?

Try to give positivity a go sometime??
    Who knows,you may even enjoy it.

Your choice obviously.

Look of course i know that alot of good things came about because of the events.. i actaully seen people doing security that i know for a fact have never worked before.. plus it made all you lot happy.. but im sorry until i have something regular to do in my city thats enjoyable and does not involve alchohol no i wont be f**king happy..

Look of course i know that alot of good things came about because of the events.. i actaully seen people doing security that i know for a fact have never worked before.. plus it made all you lot happy.. but im sorry until i have something regular to do in my city thats enjoyable and does not involve alchohol no i wont be f**king happy..

Regarding your present lifestyle issues...
    Only you can fix that.....:D

I post quiet a bit on that at the time. It really was a missed opportunity, but one that could easily be grasped again in the coming years.

There is great scope there to make Limerick synonymous with the May Bank Holiday weekend. But they need to broaden the scope of their advertising, a few ads on Galway/Cork/Tipperary local radio stations to draw people in from other counties. The potential is there but whether we have the resources/capability to tap into it is another matter.

Perhaps, but I don't expect anything more from a series of bars.

What i would like to see, moreso than one-off festivals like last weekend, would be a realistic plan for the continued development of the "Market Quarter". A part of Limerick's problem on a night out is that the pubs you would choose to go to can be very far apart. for example, I might start in the Curragower, move towards Mickey's, have a few in the Wicked Chicken and head towards Dolans. That suits me because I know what I want from each place, but a casual tourist in Limerick, being told the best pubs are two miles apart just won't bother.

I'd like to see the Market Quarter is the primary place to go out in Limerick. Thomas Street has been redeveloped and looks great, as has Bakers Place, hopefully something similar can happen around the Cornmarket to make it an attractive place to go as a tourist. That means more cafes, more restaurants and more diverse pubs (ie, a Beirhaus type place, a place with trad music, etc). At the minute, imo, the various streets there look very run down and slightly dis-spirited. It's a place that could benefit from street landscaping etc.

An ideal template for this, imo, is Shop Street/Quay Street in Galway, plenty of ok to good pubs in a small area, surrounded by decent restaurants (very few very good ones, mostly cheapish, ok-ish food) and some good shops (sadly less and less every year). They survive year on year because they all provide a compact place for tourists to go and have a good time. Same to a degree with Temple Bar in Dublin. I'm not expecting miracles, just that one area be developed as the social hub of the city. The other areas (Thomas St and Baker's Place) should continue to carve out their niche.

I'd glad the pubs have gotten together to do this type of stuff though, because you need something to kick-start any regeneration. I'll be happier still if the entire area develops more. We're in a recession though, it's a shame this initiative wasn't taken when there was money to spend.

I post quiet a bit on that at the time. It really was a missed opportunity, but one that could easily be grasped again in the coming years.

There is great scope there to make Limerick synonymous with the May Bank Holiday weekend. But they need to broaden the scope of their advertising, a few ads on Galway/Cork/Tipperary local radio stations to draw people in from other counties. The potential is there but whether we have the resources/capability to tap into it is another matter.

To be honest, I wouldn't be rushing it. I'd let the marathon get established, let the weekend itself grow naturally (to an extent) and let word of mouth grow. Word of mouth is the best propaganda.

• Advertisement

I don't see any claims on the literature regarding this event being the cities saviour.

Saviour from what exactly???
    The likes of you and your adopted opinions?

Try to give positivity a go sometime??
    Who knows,you may even enjoy it.

I am always positive when there is call to be.. im involved in community volunteer programmes for kids.. which calls for very positve people.. i do what i can for people who are less fortunate or not able to do things themselves in my neighbourhood.. trust me i can be very positive when needs be..

what i am not is a sheep that is easily fooled and satisfied.. again this is just a drinks promotion.. i am not likening this to riverfest or anything else for that matter.. i am just refering to this drinks promotion.. as for the literature i was commenting on posts made on this board not the literature.
    Regarding your present lifestyle issues...
    Only you can fix that.....:D

I have a great life actually and ya know what not a pint in site.. i just wish there was more to do.. but what i do have to do i make the best of..

Perhaps, but I don't expect anything more from a series of bars.

What i would like to see, moreso than one-off festivals like last weekend, would be a realistic plan for the continued development of the "Market Quarter". A part of Limerick's problem on a night out is that the pubs you would choose to go to can be very far apart. for example, I might start in the Curragower, move towards Mickey's, have a few in the Wicked Chicken and head towards Dolans. That suits me because I know what I want from each place, but a casual tourist in Limerick, being told the best pubs are two miles apart just won't bother.

I'd like to see the Market Quarter is the primary place to go out in Limerick. Thomas Street has been redeveloped and looks great, as has Bakers Place, hopefully something similar can happen around the Cornmarket to make it an attractive place to go as a tourist. That means more cafes, more restaurants and more diverse pubs (ie, a Beirhaus type place, a place with trad music, etc). At the minute, imo, the various streets there look very run down and slightly dis-spirited. It's a place that could benefit from street landscaping etc.

An ideal template for this, imo, is Shop Street/Quay Street in Galway, plenty of ok to good pubs in a small area, surrounded by decent restaurants (very few very good ones, mostly cheapish, ok-ish food) and some good shops (sadly less and less every year). They survive year on year because they all provide a compact place for tourists to go and have a good time. Same to a degree with Temple Bar in Dublin. I'm not expecting miracles, just that one area be developed as the social hub of the city. The other areas (Thomas St and Baker's Place) should continue to carve out their niche.

I'd glad the pubs have gotten together to do this type of stuff though, because you need something to kick-start any regeneration. I'll be happier still if the entire area develops more. We're in a recession though, it's a shame this initiative wasn't taken when there was money to spend.

What would be great is if another street could created with bars, restaurants, film houses :P , on either side, going through that open air car park that runs beside Angel Lane/Ellen Street.

I am always positive when there is call to be.. im involved in community volunteer programmes for kids.. which calls for very positve people.. i do what i can for people who are less fortunate or not able to do things themselves in my neighbourhood.. trust me i can be very positive when needs be..

what i am not is a sheep that is easily fooled and satisfied.. again this is just a drinks promotion.. i am not likening this to riverfest or anything else for that matter.. i am just refering to this drinks promotion.. as for the literature i was commenting on posts made on this board not the literature.

I have a great life actually and ya know what not a pint in site.. i just wish there was more to do.. but what i do have to do i make the best of..

If everything's so great then why spend hour after hour on here whinging and crying????

OK it's not your scene but don't come on here trying to dictate to everyone else.
    If you were there then you would have seen the throngs who seemed to be enjoying themselves all night and might i add that i haven't seen any negative stories in the media (not something that happens at every event is it?).

But no that's not good enough for you is it????
    You have to twist everything into a negative light all the time.

Nauseating stuff to be honest.

You must be the only person in Limerick who has nothing good to say about the event.

Congratulations on that admirable achievement.

What would be great is if another street could created with bars, restaurants, film houses :P , on either side, going through that open air car park that runs beside Angel Lane/Ellen Street.

It's a pity we're still so far away from where we should be, but you just have to take the victories when they come, imo.

I mean, over the next 12 months I hope to see a new Belltable opened, less traffic in town due to the tunnel, hopefully Limerick FC back in the Market's Field (maybe even a soon to be redeveloped Market's Field), possibly a boundary extension (Gormley seems more serious than most about it). I'd view any of those things as large positives for the city and most should or are happening.

If everything's so great then why spend hour after hour on here whinging and crying????

OK it's not your scene but don't come on here trying to dictate to everyone else.
    If you were there then you would have seen the throngs who seemed to be enjoying themselves all night and might i add that i haven't seen any negative stories in the media (not something that happens at every event is it?).

But no that's not good enough for you is it????
    You have to twist everything into a negative light all the time.

Nauseating stuff to be honest.

You must be the only person in Limerick who has nothing good to say about the event.

Congratulations on that admirable achievement.

Thanks.. im honoured.. and actaully i didnt say anything bad about it.. for what it was a drinks promotion it was excellent..

also untwist those knickers will ya.. so nauseating you just had to reply.. EVERYTIME

Thanks.. im honoured..

I expected nothing less.
    Sincerely.

It seems you don't understand the concept of embarassment.

I expected nothing less.
    Sincerely.

It seems you don't understand the concept of embarassment.

What does concept mean?

What does concept mean?

Exactly.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

If you are so positive StabCity then why did you choose such a negative username that helps to propogate a negative stereotype of the city? Maybe you should demonstrate your so called positivity on this board for once and start a thread with some suggestions of events you would like to see instead of derailing threads with your constant dryball whinging. You more than made your point in this thread so either put up or shut up. Otherwise you are just trolling.

Advertisement