Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Market Quarter

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Its like a advertising board for beer companies at the moment!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

bigpink wrote: »
    Pity the Greyhound track wasnt just redeveloped so instead of being way out the Dock road
    Cant see the Markets Field feeding into the Market quarter

I'm happy enough to see the greyhound stadium moved tbh, I hate going to games and being kept away from the action by a sand track around the pitch.

Why don't you see the Market's field working with the Market's quarter? Makes sense to me, go to the game and stroll into town for a few pints, there's a lot of latent support for soccer in Limerick, fair-weather fans like myself who'd go if we could get beer in the stadium etc.

It's also probable a redeveloped Market's field would get irish underage games etc.

I'm happy enough to see the greyhound stadium moved tbh, I hate going to games and being kept away from the action by a sand track around the pitch.

Why don't you see the Market's field working with the Market's quarter? Makes sense to me, go to the game and stroll into town for a few pints, there's a lot of latent support for soccer in Limerick, fair-weather fans like myself who'd go if we could get beer in the stadium etc.

It's also probable a redeveloped Market's field would get irish underage games etc.

Me being realistic sounds negative alot i know!

Im not a soccer expert but i have heard my brother say Jackman park with a little development would be better,nearer the city centre and nice bowl affect ground if you get me
    Moving to the markets field again so going to cost more money and time,could they not build 2-3000 seats in Jackman?

The Markey quarter should be appealing to all walks of life and ages but its only the pubs are that are pushing it
    Like that Heineken green zone that was only to go against the Guinness are 22 thing in Thomas street,these events dont attract a wider range of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Moving to the markets field again so going to cost more money and time,could they not build 2-3000 seats in Jackman?

Limerick FC won't build the seats as it's not their ground, and the LDMC won't build them as they don't need them.

Would it not make sense to build 2 -3000 seats in Jackman for Limerick F.C and LDMC and use it for all soccer needs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It makes perfect sense to us, but the LDMC is notorious for being awkward and annoying.

The Milk Market ran a"Market Mayhem" event yesterday which is exactly the right kind of idea but this not nothing to do with the Market Quarter/pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Would it not make sense to build 2 -3000 seats in Jackman for Limerick F.C and LDMC and use it for all soccer needs?

No it would make no sense for either party really. Limerick FC would invest in a ground that they ultimately could be told they have to get out of as soon as the redevelopment is done. The LDMC don't need a 2 or 3,000 seat stadium so it would be of no benefit to them. Other sporting codes would not have use of the ground, it wouldn't be a municipal stadium and the pitch could not be chancged to a 3G synthetic grass one if Limerick go down that route. The Markets field has much more scope for redevelopment and also has a lot of structures already in place that Jackman doesn't, a bigger stand, a previous bar and multiple entrances for example. Don't think there is much difference in distance to town either. For example to walk from the gate of Jackman Park to AIB at the top of William Street should take the same amount of time as the walk from the Markets Field to AIB give or take a min or two depending on how fast or slow you walk. Going by google maps it takes 11 mins from the markets field and 10 from jackman to the top of William Street, much of a muchness really.

Will if do invest money in the Markets field it should be for all sports,it would get support from everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

nah, sure we have a gaa stadium, a rugby stadium, a 50m pool, a basketball arena, we're just short the soccer stadium (and and ice hockey rink, shame that never happened :( )

but back on topic, the market quarter is a great example of local businesses pushing for themselves, I'm glad to see it paying off. If we could now get a couple of unusual eateries in along denmark st, we'd be set. its great to see two late night cafes/ tapas testing the water. a few more bohemian shops like the edge would be cool along there too.

• Advertisement

To me the Market quarter seems to be only pubs so far is there any other parties involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Me being realistic sounds negative alot i know!

Im not a soccer expert but i have heard my brother say Jackman park with a little development would be better,nearer the city centre and nice bowl affect ground if you get me

The Markey quarter should be appealing to all walks of life and ages but its only the pubs are that are pushing it
    Like that Heineken green zone that was only to go against the Guinness are 22 thing in Thomas street,these events dont attract a wider range of people

This is exactly incorrect, these are the events that attract the broadest swathes of people in this country.
    To me the Market quarter seems to be only pubs so far is there any other parties involved?

As Zuroph said two cafes (one new, one pre-existing) have just begun a late night service.

I believe it was set up by the local pubs to try attract business for their venues. May expand now that new businesses are establishing themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

keane2097 wrote: »
    As Zuroph said two cafes (one new, one pre-existing) have just begun a late night service.

That's right, Paparazzi and Café Noir are now opening late, well on the busier nights anyway. I saw too that Z-we-ton are now opening til 3.30am at the weekend, is this a new development? Do they want to attract late diners or people getting post-pub grub?

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I saw too that Z-we-ton are now opening til 3.30am at the weekend, is this a new development? Do they want to attract late diners or people getting post-pub grub?

Yeah they just started.

I assume they've seen the Istanbul raking in the late night takeaway monies and want a cut.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    That's right, Paparazzi and Café Noir are now opening late, well on the busier nights anyway. I saw too that Z-we-ton are now opening til 3.30am at the weekend, is this a new development? Do they want to attract late diners or people getting post-pub grub?

Where's Paparazzi?

Good to see something other than pubs staying open in the Market Quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Where's Paparazzi?

Right across from Zweton

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Right across from Zweton

Cheers, must pay more attention when I'm walking around town.

This is exactly incorrect, these are the events that attract the broadest swathes of people in this country.

They were both rugby themed events for match weekends but what did the Heineken actually do as an event?It was a marketing space for Heineken

They were both rugby themed events for match weekends but what did the Heineken actually do as an event?It was a marketing space for Heineken

They offered drinks promotions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Where's Paparazzi?

Good to see something other than pubs staying open in the Market Quarter.

Thats the main plan, were trying to get everyone on board...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

zuroph wrote: »
    please please please let me set up a zombie festival!

Hey ZZZ

tried to priv mess...

How many Zombies u got???

gds - Ken

im sure i could rally up a few thousand for a zombie parade and street party, think mardi gras but with zombies :)

Thats the main plan, were trying to get everyone on board...

Cheers Ken, might have an idea to discuss with you over the summer, keep up the good work.

They offered drinks promotions.

Heineken would not do drink promotions on a rugby weekend,they would not want their product discounted

Heineken would not do drink promotions on a rugby weekend,they would not want their product discounted

they paid for street entertainers, DJs, streetlighting, and did sort drinks promos. Yes they would want their product discounted, so as to sell more of it. its an economics thing.

wat? They already did.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=245742538272

seriously, we're missing out a trick on this zombie thing. good to see the new market head guy is interested in having gigs there, as part of my zombie fest, I would hope to put on some zombie movie screenings in there.

zuroph wrote: »
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=245742538272

seriously, we're missing out a trick on this zombie thing. good to see the new market head guy is interested in having gigs there, as part of my zombie fest, I would hope to put on some zombie movie screenings in there.

I agree, even if it's not my "thing", saw the Zombie walk in Melbourne last year, looked class.

• Advertisement

I also have a two phase viral marketing strategy (eh eh, geddit??) to help push the festival to people nationally. minimal cost and easy free advertising.

Advertisement