Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Market Quarter

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

hell, we even have a local bands approval!

I can see the marketing vid now set over that late riff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's a great idea man, I've absolutely no idea why you aren't getting some love back from the Market Quarter.

I was just going to go straight to council, but when I got in touch, I found out that I had 3 days before getting the proposal into them for the coming years funding, left me too late to get proposal sorted properly. But theres no reason it couldnt be organised privately through market quarter and market trustees. I'd also endevour to get more of the city area involved during daytime, with the night-time core being the market quarter area.

zuroph wrote: »
    I was just going to go straight to council, but when I got in touch, I found out that I had 3 days before getting the proposal into them for the coming years funding, left me too late to get proposal sorted properly. But theres no reason it couldnt be organised privately through market quarter and market trustees. I'd also endevour to get more of the city area involved during daytime, with the night-time core being the market quarter area.

While council backing would be nice, it's not essential. It's a class idea, tbh. The Market Quarter should be pushing for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=245742538272

seriously, we're missing out a trick on this zombie thing. good to see the new market head guy is interested in having gigs there, as part of my zombie fest, I would hope to put on some zombie movie screenings in there.

William St/O'Connell St is already wall to wall zombies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Yo, Mike!
    If you are setting that up and need a hand I'd love to help out! Just give me a bell :)

cheers mate, I've a feeling we'd get a really good community spirit going to get this off the ground, itd be a very fun project to work on. zombie mardi gras style parade could be a great laugh for example, i'd want a wide ranging costume experience!

C'mon Ken, tell me how to make a proposal to the Market Quarter lads and I'll bring ye a damn busy weekend for your businesses.

Might be best if you go into O'Connell's in person at this stage Zuroph?

Was in Monday night for the pub quiz, great night had. That galway hooker (beer!!!!) is tasty stuff!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

R.I.P. Quiz Taylor FTW :pac:

Anyhoo back on topic, I hadn't heard of a zombie walk before but looked at that link you posted, sounds like serious craic! Best of luck with the idea :D

• Advertisement

ours will be better than just a zombie walk. I was actually in dublin the last time they had one, attending a hypno thing, and it was the same weekend as pride up there. temple bar was a pretty funny combination of zombies and drag queens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Have a look at this considering Market Quarter came to life in July 2010.
    Obviously my real name was used..

Sent: 01 October 2009 17:20
    To: irishproduce's email address
    Subject: RE: An Idea

Hi irishproduce
    Thanks for your mail and for taking the time to contact us.
    Here in the Limerick Co-Ordination Office, as part of our brief to try and put Limerick in the headlines for the right reasons, we do what we can to promote the best bits of our city.
    I agree that the area you mentioned is a great social hub as is the pedestrianised coffee quarter around Thomas Street...
    We've put together new "Experience Limerick" little fold out guides showing the best places to eat,drink, dance and visit in Limerick. They're going to print at the moment and I hope to have 50,000 of them ready for the first Heineken Cup game on October 17th. The draft PDF is attached if you want to have a look and you'll see that the area you mentioned is highlighted for all its bars/restaurants etc.
    We're also working on the re-development of www.limerick.ie and that website will be fantastic when it goes live also next month with a full entertainment/what's on guide.

Unfortunately, I do not have a budget to market the city. I deal with press queries on behalf of Limerick and do what I can on a tiny budget to try and encourage civic pride among Limerick people with our projects.
    Shannon Development is the body responsible for the marketing of Limerick as a tourist destination, you may like to contact them aswell? They have a much bigger budget and produce various brochures/literature throughout the year
    Best Wishes
    Laura

Laura Ryan

Communications Executive
    Limerick Co-Ordination Office
    50 O’Connell Street
    Limerick

t: 00353 (0)61 400010
    f: 00353 (0)61 400355
    m: 00353 (0)86 6042544
    e: lauraryan@limerickoffice.ie
    w: www.limerickcoordination.ie

Sent: 01 October 2009 14:32
    To: 'Laura Ryan'
    Subject: FW: An Idea

Sent: 01 October 2009 14:28
    To: info@limerickoffice.ie
    Subject: An Idea
    Good afternoon,

I have a suggestion. The entire area around Ellen Street, Michael Street, Denmark Street and upper Denmark street has a huge selection of bars, clubs and restaurants when compared to any other area of the city of similar size.
    I think the co-ordination office should look at marketing this area nationally as Limerick’s social district or something to that effect to draw extended stays/ tourism to the city particularly with the Rugby season about to come back into full flow

Best regards
    irishproduce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

So is this Laura Ryan any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Well in this case, I gave her an idea, she said it wasn't her remit and she didn't have budget etc but went and did it anyway as "The ‘Market Quarter’ idea is the brainchild of a group of ‘like minded business people’ who made the decision to work together to drive business forward in their area of Limerick"

So if you are giving up an idea, make sure you get accredited with it :(

Well in this case, I gave her an idea, she said it wasn't her remit and she didn't have budget etc but went and did it anyway as "The ‘Market Quarter’ idea is the brainchild of a group of ‘like minded business people’ who made the decision to work together to drive business forward in their area of Limerick"

So if you are giving up an idea, make sure you get accredited with it :(

Meh, people have been discussing the area around the market as a potential mini temple bar for at least as long as I've been here, don't think you're the only one to come across the idea, nor indeed, was I or anyone else who've discussed it in the last decade or so.

Laura Ryan is very very good at her job, and works with, as she said, a negligable budget.

the market quarter has nothing to do with the council, it is purely organised by the various pub owners in the area. Laura would have had nothing to do with that.

Is that the one you see in every out and about photo page?

As i said in the riverfest thread the city needs to pull together and advertise better

The Market quarter facebook page is dead,they have nothing on this weekend for what is suppose to be a huge weekend in Limerick

Market quarter are the pubs in the area, they probably dont feel the need to advertise as they will have a bumper weekend without spending a penny thanks to coronas and rugby match.

You would see Laura in the papers a bit as she attends a lot of events in the city as part of the job.

As she says above, its shannon development who are tasked with advertising the city, and we've been sorely let down in the past, in spite of several great events. Its them who need to be contacted and pushed into doing more. I've sat and chatted with Laura before on several ideas, and there isnt many she hasnt heard plenty of times before (although the zombie fest was a new one ;) ), and she does her best to realise as much as possible with the budget given.

Talk to your councillors, get them to put pressure for more money to advertise the city. The communications office do the very best with what they have.

So what does Laura Ryan actually do?And that office?They dont have a budget to promote Limerick but had a budget for a rebrand

Zuroph you seem to have great ideas try set up on your own

Market quarter are the pubs in the area, they probably dont feel the need to advertise as they will have a bumper weekend without spending a penny thanks to coronas and rugby match.

You would see Laura in the papers a bit as she attends a lot of events in the city as part of the job.

As she says above, its shannon development who are tasked with advertising the city, and we've been sorely let down in the past, in spite of several great events. Its them who need to be contacted and pushed into doing more. I've sat and chatted with Laura before on several ideas, and there isnt many she hasnt heard plenty of times before (although the zombie fest was a new one ;) ), and she does her best to realise as much as possible with the budget given.

Talk to your councillors, get them to put pressure for more money to advertise the city. The communications office do the very best with what they have.

Yeah, it's a tough gig from the Limerick Communication Office.

Limerick city is very badly served by having an awful relationship/interaction with Limerick County and Clare. Riverfest, such that it is, should be a Midwest/Thomond event, not solely a city one. Clare and Co. Limerick should be helping to promote it and indeed the city in general. They don't want to realise they have a symbiotic relationship with the city.

I keep saying it but we've too many chiefs in the Midwest and not enough co-ordination.

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    So what does Laura Ryan actually do?And that office?They dont have a budget to promote Limerick but had a budget for a rebrand

rebrand didnt require a budget, it was to more accurately describe the office, as they were getting landed with work that had nothing to do with them. The office is a point of contact for official announcements from the city, and for monitoring media portrayals of Limerick, and to act as a point of contact when a reply is needed to media coverage. Its job is to try get limerick more positively portrayed in national and international press, and they do a damn good job of it, Limerick has been the whipping boy of the media for too long, but we're finally starting to see a swing of opinion in the country, and more people who would never have dreamed of coming to limerick before are now visiting and saying positive things about their trips. The communications office make the best of what they have, they dont organise the events, just try to maximise the positive publicity the city gets from it.

bigpink wrote: »
    Zuroph you seem to have great ideas try set up on your own

Some day perhaps. The Zombie festival is going to be a fun learning curve for me anyway, I hope you'll get involved!

What time is the market going till tonight was thinking bout going into town now

no idea, but it willl be on all day tomorrow.

Im should it will be open late tonight with more people around after work

What other events are on tonight to start riverfest

I believe theres an art exhibition launch this evening as part of it.

market is til 7 officially each evening, and til 3 on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Plus Laura Ryan is HOT :D

Advertisement