Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dargle

Options
  • 05-07-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Is there any good trout fishing along the dargle? Thinking of trying it out this week sometime. Do you get the permits etc in Viking tackle? I think I remember fishing it years ago with my cousin they were only small things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

jack01986 wrote: »
    Is there any good trout fishing along the dargle? Thinking of trying it out this week sometime. Do you get the permits etc in Viking tackle? I think I remember fishing it years ago with my cousin they were only small things.

it can suffer heavily from poaching........could be a great little river if not totally abused by the mutton-heads..........

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

this is my local river,,,used to produce specimen seatrout,and nice salmon but as ironblue says ,,,the river gets hammered by poachers in the local park ,especially in low water as a lot of fish hold in the deep pools of the lower reaches,some seatrout do run in low water however,if they get past poachers,the bailiffs are working hard to try and sort it out,but locals have to play there part and notify them.a good flood encourages fish to run straight through to the upper parts wich are not that heavilly fished,but are challenging to fly fish.

as regards brown trout,average size is small,very small in fact.but there is a lot of them.can be difficult when the water is clear on the dries,try tiny cdc patterns like the f fly or small olive klinkhammers.some very deep pools and a weighted pheasant tail nymph can bring out some of the better fish,but a half pound is a big fish!!!!
    i rearly fish for brownies in the dargle now,like to concentrate on the seatrout.

day tickets must be purchased,,viking tackle ,castle street,bray.for dargle anglers club water,alot of private water on the river so make sure you know where you are going,or ask landowners permission.
    enjoy a beautifulriver,might see you on the water sometime.
    p.m me if you need more info

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Thanks for that guys, might see you around there sometime. Hopefully I can catch some thing a change of scenery might be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

the dargle would be the finest sea trout river in the country if an asteroid hit bray...

easy now,,,,handful of mindless poachers destroying the river,,,we just have to keep at the bailiffs!!!!!

• Advertisement

cj salmon wrote: »
    easy now,,,,handful of mindless poachers destroying the river,,,we just have to keep at the bailiffs!!!!!

ah cj a handful?...its been going on for years now..........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Going fishing on the Dargle hasn't changed a bit .....

rods! Check!
    Reel check!
    bag & jacket! Check!
    line, hooks, etc check!
    Waders! Check!
    landing net! Check!
    baseball bat and helmet ...... now where did I leave those after last trip? .......

AddEmoticons04220.gif

dont forget this coolwings......

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-14751.html

ok more than a handful,,,the bailiffs and the fishing club and local fly fishers are fighting as hard as we can,,,these people can not see the long term damage of what they are doing and basically dont give a **** tbh,,,and i dont blame the bailiffs and garda being half afraid to appoach them,,,these are some dodgy heads we are talking,,ive seen it my whole life on the river,,,its allways been there,and its an absoulute shame,,many an evening we have watched specimen seatrout go over the weir,and we know they wont make it :mad:...there are great local flyfishers that have fought this for years in vein,and will continue to do so.
    we fish further up stream after floods later in the season and have enjoyed good sport ,catch and realease of course.but if your out this way and see ths **** taking place get straight on to the bailiffs,,,THEY DO COME.
    mobile numers for bailiffs can be gotten in viking tackle,or P.M me.

lol funny stuff alrite guns prob handier than the knifes nowaday coolwings :D ,,,sad state of affairs that you would have to look ver your shoulder when going fishing!!!!!!!
    there are quiter spots on this river in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Might have to invest in one of these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Kingfisher10

cj salmon wrote: »
    ok more than a handful,,,the bailiffs and the fishing club and local fly fishers are fighting as hard as we can,,,these people can not see the long term damage of what they are doing and basically dont give a **** tbh,,,and i dont blame the bailiffs and garda being half afraid to appoach them,,,these are some dodgy heads we are talking,,ive seen it my whole life on the river,,,its allways been there,and its an absoulute shame,,many an evening we have watched specimen seatrout go over the weir,and we know they wont make it :mad:...there are great local flyfishers that have fought this for years in vein,and will continue to do so.
    we fish further up stream after floods later in the season and have enjoyed good sport ,catch and realease of course.but if your out this way and see ths **** taking place get straight on to the bailiffs,,,THEY DO COME.
    mobile numers for bailiffs can be gotten in viking tackle,or P.M me.

lol funny stuff alrite guns prob handier than the knifes nowaday coolwings :D ,,,sad state of affairs that you would have to look ver your shoulder when going fishing!!!!!!!
    there are quiter spots on this river in fairness
    Go Straight to the bailiffs grow a set mate when u were young and something happened did you run straight to your mammy.You have been watchin them for years have you ever approached them for F**K sake you make them out to sound like gangland Criminals.

Go Straight to the bailiffs grow a set mate when u were young and something happened did you run straight to your mammy.You have been watchin them for years have you ever approached them for F**K sake you make them out to sound like gangland Criminals.

I would be very reluctant to approach them especially in this society...you would get a knife in the mush quick enough....anyway we pay income taxes for people to do that, €120 for licence, don’t forget VAT on tackle….this problem on the Dargle and other rivers could be easily sorted with a bit of discipline….but sadly with those do gooding liberal crime loving over compassionate buffoons who are in Leinster house there is not much chance of that happening…..

sure thats what the bailiffs are there for...no point in one lad saying something and being told to f##k off for his troubles,making absolutly no difference what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kingfisher10

I would be very reluctant to approach them especially in this society...you would get a knife in the mush quick enough....anyway we pay income taxes for people to do that, €120 for licence, don’t forget VAT on tackle….this problem on the Dargle and other rivers could be easily sorted with a bit of discipline….but sadly with those do gooding liberal crime loving over compassionate buffoons who are in Leinster house there is not much chance of that happening…..
    Are they really that dangerous?.....That you could get knifed Are they a group of young lads or do you even know anything about these people?Nobody must do anything about it if its been going on for years like you say.........

do you even know anything about these people?

i know plenty about them......these people have done some nasty things over the years....just ask Eamon Cusack former CEO of the SRFB.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I always remember the Dargle as young lad having some great fish in it, all you had to do was look over the bridge and there would be plenty of fish sadly not any more.
    Regarding the poachers Yes these are some nasty folk and would be best avoided. One Garda I knew once told me when they got a call about poaching they had to go mob handed. Its a shame but you will find these poachers think they have a right to poach the river as their parents and grandparents done it before them.

I always remember the Dargle as young lad having some great fish in it, all you had to do was look over the bridge and there would be plenty of fish sadly not any more.
    Regarding the poachers Yes these are some nasty folk and would be best avoided. One Garda I knew once told me when they got a call about poaching they had to go mob handed. Its a shame but you will find these poachers think they have a right to poach the river as their parents and grandparents done it before them.

yea well said, it has been going on a long time and some of these guys are not the nicest people you will meet....I think that a lot of the fishing on the Dargle was owned by the Earl of Meath and a lot of the poaching was done to antagonise the owners and it has been going on ever since.... The facts are the Dargle WAS one of the best seatrout and slamon rivers on the East coast, some say the best, now largely devoid of fish.....very sad indeed.

Are they really that dangerous?.....That you could get knifed Are they a group of young lads or do you even know anything about these people?Nobody must do anything about it if its been going on for years like you say.........

no they arnt young lads,i dont know about being knifed,but its the mind set that its ok to do this ,as mentioned , its been done for generations .people have approached poachers,but nothing makes a lasting effect,only garda and bailliffs can impose the court dates and heavy fines and even this is a minor deterent tht doesnt work.there is not enough concerned anglers willing to put the foot down,yes the people are known,some of them just cant see the damage its doing i think,they think its okay as its been done for years,the angling club in my opinion should be making the public more aware of the problem and outlining the long term damage it can cause,gathering support,so the wider community in the town can see whats going on not just the anglers! sure all they see is lads fishing!!! if they were to fish like everyone else there would be no bother sure!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jd6210

Is the dargle open to fishing now, where do you get permits, ect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Probably very little water at present but here are the details -
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/east/dublin/dargle.htm

• Advertisement

Id imagine that with this heavy rain it could fish well tomorrow??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

River is closed for work on the flood protection scheme. It's full of sand in places and it's clouded because they're dredging it.

Would you get fish further up the river though? Is the work badly affecting the run of sea trout?

It's closed from the 'slang' down to the estuary and they're dredging from the western end of the park up to the slang and driving sheet pile.

Don't know whether it's actually affecting the fish, if you went upstream from all that maybe you might get something.

Anyone out fishing yet??? How's de dangle looking after flood defence work??

They're still working on it.

Strider wrote: »
    They're still working on it.

Will the work cause my damage to the fishing I wonder?

Any sign of sea trout on the dargle yet??

Advertisement