Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Me An Album

Options
  • 05-07-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

OK, so this thread is for recommending an album to other boarders. An album that you have either recently discovered, rediscovered or whatever and just posting it here:

dangerdanger_revolve_revs.jpg
    Danger Danger - Revolve

I want to start off by recommending this album. For some reason, and the reason I seem surprised is because the band have neither promoted nor toured this album, it has managed to both catch my attention and stay with me. What I can say is that if you are a fan of Def Leppard you will love this album - even if you are not - you will find a lot of great Rock on this record. Y&T, Journey, Queen, Mr Big...the list is endless...this album encompasses them all

You can find samples on the band's MySpace
    http://www.myspace.com/dangerdanger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Great idea!
    folder.jpg
    Mastodon - Crack The Skye

This is the only one of my top albums that I would recommend to ANYONE, regardless if they like rock, metal, alternative or what have you. Mastodon's roots may be in sludgy heavy metal but this album is completely different. The album is a slab of 70's prog rock mixed in with the usual Mastodon madness. There is not a single bad song to be found on this record and IMO it is sure to become a classic in the future. Brilliantly composed and produced I would recommend this album to any rock/metal fans really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

a4f621d195383c67483fd2e1567bda81_full.jpg
    Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Let's try and not have this descend into a random posting of album pics. Please put some text down to explain why you would recommend the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Suicidal+Tendencies+-+The+Art+Of+Rebellion.jpg

Suicidal Tendencies - The Art of Rebellion

Truly terrific and underrated album from ST. It was a change in direction to their usual thrash/ hardcore style which was appreciated by fans at the time. Great guitar from Rocky George, who is not a guitarist that gets highly rated.Monopoly on Sorrow is their best song ever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

ev_2.jpg

For me this album was what brought thrash back to the forefront of metal.
    Together with bands like Gamma Bomb, Warbringer, Municipal Waste,... they really brought a a new face to thrash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

Daath-The-Concealers-612425.jpg

Daath - The Concealers
    A friend of mine asked me to get him this album never heard of daath before then when it arrived i stuck it on and was blown away. Amazing guitar playing, amazing drums evrything you could want in a metal band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Yet again...

Between The Buried and Me - Colors

o906080.jpg

Perhaps the 5th time or so that I've recommended this band in some way on this forum... But really, I think this album is that good.

It took a while to hit me, but when it did, it hit hard. Now I consider this my favourite album of all time, and in my opinion, one of the most well crafted works of art released. The band mainly play a very heavy type of progressive metalcore, but there are influences from a very wide range of genres on this album; metal, prog, death, acoustic, and even that countrylike section.

Insane technicality, brilliant songwriting and riffs, just amazing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

image4.jpg

Cynic - Traced In Air

First heard of these guys in late 90's but was told they were death metal and that wasn't what i was into so never checked them out. This was released in 2008 after a long hiatus. Was working in a music shop so i stuck it on when i saw the artwork. Blown away. Not death metal at all, really melodic progressive metal would be closer description. Not really all that heavy but a really fantastic album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

+1 to the Evile reccomendation above btw. Cant say enough about them!

My reccomendation (to anyone that will listen) is GOATREIGN. Im not even sure if they have more than one album. I bought the one pictured below for €4 in tower records randomly because it was reduced. By god when I gave it a spin I was blown away. Catchy, heavy, METAL riffs and mid range guitar solos coupled with a gravelly clean vocal line (a la pantera/evile). I cant reccomend these guys enough.

Lol there isnt even any youtube footage I can find! WTF is that about? Heres a jpeg of the album cover.

Goatreign-cargo1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Hehe, the name would make you think about some obscure black metal band that kills goats on stage and violates women (Or the other way around) :D

Sounds nice, I'll check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

porcupine_tree_in_absentia.jpg

Porcupine Tree - I Absentia

While I imagine quite a few here know of this already, there are (probably) too many who don't. While this is a lot more accesible than many other albums, it covers nearly all aspects that make this band so brilliant (IMO). From all-out rock assault (Blackest Eyes), to ambiance-induced tracks like Strip the Soul. Poppier tunes such as Trains to classicaly-based Collapse the Light Into Earth, this is certainly an album to introduce the masses to this trule exceptional band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ngK8_bMpY (Strip the Soul with Dot 3 too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjaV7UBKZ0&feature=related (Collapse)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chris1966

Loudness - Thunder In The East, had it on vinyl in the 80s got it again on disc last week, a good solid metal album from Japan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Great idea!
    folder.jpg
    Mastodon - Crack The Skye

This is the only one of my top albums that I would recommend to ANYONE, regardless if they like rock, metal, alternative or what have you. Mastodon's roots may be in sludgy heavy metal but this album is completely different. The album is a slab of 70's prog rock mixed in with the usual Mastodon madness. There is not a single bad song to be found on this record and IMO it is sure to become a classic in the future. Brilliantly composed and produced I would recommend this album to any rock/metal fans really.

This handsome devil speaks the truth,
    Crack the Skye is one of the best metal albums to come out in years each song is a masterpiece of metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

coverun5.jpg

On the more rock side of things, I would highly recommend Lite - Phantasia. Instrumental rock from Japan (I'd have to recommend something Japanese, wouldn't I?), if you like Rush, Porcupine Tree and so forth, these guys are extremely good. Here's Ghost Dance from the album Phantasia:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

On the more rock side of things, I would highly recommend Lite - Phantasia. Instrumental rock from Japan (I'd have to recommend something Japanese, wouldn't I?), if you like Rush, Porcupine Tree and so forth, these guys are extremely good. Here's Ghost Dance from the album Phantasia:

Gonna check these out actually, meant to awhile ago

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

pdbhp wrote: »
    This handsome devil speaks the truth,
    Crack the Skye is one of the best metal albums to come out in years each song is a masterpiece of metal.
    i wouldnt go that far.
    However its a solid prog rock album. no filler tracks and its by far and away mastodon's best album.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

61o87UKs-EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One of my favorite albums out so far this year, I absolutely adore this album. Songs such as The Carrion Call, Heirs to Thievery and The Spectator are amazing (I feel). One of the best deathgrind bands out now, and the themes of the songs appeal to me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Pain-dancing_with_the_dead.jpg

Pain - Dancing With The Dead

Pain is the brainchild of Peter Tägtgren (founder of the band Hypocrisy). Their albums range from straight up industrial metal to poppy-er stuff. The latest album has yer wan from Nightwish guesting on a few songs. My pick above is a great example of Peters work and a good place to start. It falls somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I bought Melissa Auf Der Maur's Out Of Our Minds (OOOM) a couple of weeks ago. Freaky tuneful heavy stuff, replete with Vikings crashing cars in a Canadian forest. Favourite track so far: Isis Speaks.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Not really an album, yet, but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I'll steer away from "metal" and say:

Rhammstein, Mutter.
    AC/DC, Powerage.
    Rory Gallagher, Calling Card.

Well, whatever about rammstein - you cant go wrong with ACDC or Rory Gallagher imho!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Not really an album, yet, but

She is only 16?!?!?!?! Would never have put her as quite that young.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Here's what my really digging at the moment:

22933.jpg

Absolutely brilliant melodic metal album. The singer Patrik Johsnsson has a class Dio tinged voice. Pounding guitar riffs and steady rhythms that i love. Check it for yourselfs:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Sisterworld.jpg

Liars - Sisterworld

This album was released recently enough and it is fantastic. Liars have been constantly changing their sound across each album. This album is like a build-up of all that change. An eclectic mess of brilliant songs tied together with conceptual lyrics about the spaces we inhabit.

Very good album, possibly one of the best this year.

Here's the opening tracK...

Even if you're not a fan of this track I still recommend you check it out because they are all very different.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

coverun5.jpg

Gonna check these out actually, meant to awhile ago
    Fantastic album Karl

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Fantastic album Karl

Glad you like it. ;)

Advertisement