Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda for the TDF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

RobFowl wrote: »
    1224274035378_1.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0705/1224274035378.html

Lance band apart looks like we could have a proper cyclist for taoiseach in the near future....

Thought there was a big thread on here before about FGer's anti-cycling stance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Thought there was a big thread on here before about FGer's anti-cycling stance?

That was the tosser Breen who is now Lord Mayor of Dublin ...........

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nice to see Inda has got himself some proper cycling gear now.

enda+bike.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Here he is getting the count down to his TT
    0507_kenny_indo_620622t.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Am I right in thinking that they're the only party not to have endorsed the (generally very well-received) national policy framework for cycling? I think they said they were going to produce their own alternative (over a year now and no sign of it yet).

For me, Cllrs. Gerry Breen, Edie Wynne, Pat Crimmins, and Bill Tormey (all Fine Gael) don't inspire much confidence when it comes to cyclists.

If Enda Kenny's party reflected his own enthusiasm for cycling I might look on them more sympathetically, but as it is they come across as the most vocally anti-cycling party. I mean, ffs, when it comes to cycling policy they make Fianna Failure look good.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Enda Kenny might be enthusiastic about cycling as exercise, but I've yet to hear him say anything about it as a form of transport. His party certainly houses some people who are irrationally anti-cyclist, and they have nothing in their policies that is pro-cycling.

Strange to see a road bike with wheel reflectors. Perhaps he's trying to get over a Safety First image, on top of implying that he's fit (to govern?). But countering this is the helmet with the straps open in the oldest photograph. Perhaps that was a lapse and he's more on RSA-message now.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Here he is getting the count down to his TT
    0507_kenny_indo_620622t.jpg
    is the fella behind him laughing?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

No - I think Enda's just had porridge for brekkie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

castlebar cc obviouslty kitted him out

and fair play for any public figure getting out there in lycra knowing your going to be photographed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I don't think "laughing" does it justice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

His Dad was one of the best gaelic players in Mayo, a tough but gentleman on the pitch.

There was a good article in the indo a few weeks back and he got a mention in it.

Well if Enda gets his ass in the saddle then at least he knows where the rest of us are coming from and has an understanding for it! :)

Them pics are from the 100 mile cancer spin he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Fair play to him.
    Pics are taken overlooking Derrynane beach from top of Comma kiste. For anyone that likes simple unspoilt beaches, that one would rank as one of best in the country.
    Lovely pubs nearby also (Bridies and Freddie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I thought a bandwagon was his preferred form of transport!

Any bets on whether he is actually a member of Castlebar CC or is the jersey a manifestation of the truism that all politics are local:)

Wonder how new the bike is and where it is now? I seem to remember a few years ago the blueshirts were pumping out pictures of him on a mountain bike.

....and just for the record I'm not affiliated to any political party - in fact I'd have been a loyal FG'er until the current shower started driving it into the the ground!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jawgap wrote: »
    Wonder how new the bike is and where it is now?

The bike in the before and after pic appears to be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Another question is how much mileage will he be claiming for after his trip to the Kingdom? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I say fair play to him and actually getting out and having some actual sport.
    We've been too used to watching politicians attending sporting occasions from the Royal Box.
    Yes he looks ridiculous, but so does every cyclist to non-cyclists. You should hear the laughs of derision when some of my in-laws see's me about to go out MTBing and they are permanently glued to the couch.
    And as for political parties cycling policies - does it really matter a toss at the end of the day? People who want to go out cycling anywhere will do it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

While not an Kenny fan, I would rather that our taoiseach had a sporting cut rather than an unsightly beergut.
    Optics maybe, but it simply does not look professional to be lead by a man with such a gigantic gut.
    Very few CEOs of large corporations are portrayed as such. An active body and an active mind and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Enda is a paid up member of Castlebar CC.
    He was the one of the people who got the Mayo Pink Ribbon Cycle in May up and running.
    I cycled with him for a few miles that day and he has a real love of cycling.

Advertisement