Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 weeks and light bleeding

• 05-07-2010 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi all,

I know I shouldn't ask for Medical advise here, and I'm not, just asking for opinion...

I am 9 weeks pregnant and got come spotting last night.... after panicking for about 5 minutes, OH consulted the "What to Expect when your Expecting" bible, and found that this can happen and is not a cause for concern. Went to bed alot more relieved and woke up this morning and everything was fine, no spotting.

Just visited the loo there, where I noticed some blood again. It is very light, but definitely blood.

I know the book said it's fine and not to worry, but I'm wondering how long it lasts for, and what I need to do?
    Seems like a silly thing to go to the doctor for if everything I'm reading is telling me it's fine, but I just dont know what to do.

Anyone had a similar experience and can guide me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

While many ladies have spotting in the first trimester (it can be the embryo burrowing further into the womb), it can also be a sign of something more serious. Just to be on the safe side, I would call your GP; they know your medical history and can make a decision wether you should be seen by them, in hospital for a reassurance ultrasound, or can stay home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

silja wrote: »
    While many ladies have spotting in the first trimester (it can be the embryo burrowing further into the womb), it can also be a sign of something more serious. Just to be on the safe side, I would call your GP; they know your medical history and can make a decision wether you should be seen by them, in hospital for a reassurance ultrasound, or can stay home.

Thanks silja, will do.

It was at the back of my mind that I should do this, but when everything I read told me otherwise I was afraid I was being silly. But best to be on the safe side.

Thanks for confirming what I guess I knew I should do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If it were me and I saw light blood spotting I'd definitely ring the GP or Early Pregnancy Unit if you're already registered with your hospital and push for a scan.

People will tell you it's normal and the books will say the same but it's your pregnancy so if you're worried contact the hospital or your GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Antoennis

silja wrote: »

My otherhalf had this too at about 8/9 weeks and it was the embryo burrowing in. But i'd deff get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

defo get anything like that checked out. happened me back in nov but i lost it. had v light bleeding for 10 days before i finally miscarried. was told that spotting is very common in pregnancy and can lead to a normal delivery after the 40 wks. now 20 wks pregnant with my 2nd baby so it turned out right in thend, hope it did for you too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Spotting/bleeding in the first trimester is quite common. I had it off and on up to around 9 weeks which was head wrecking at the time but am now 31 weeks and all well. I did go to the Early Pregnancy Unit at the time and they were really lovely and did a quick scan which was really reassuring so I'd definitely recommend getting it checked out. Very, very best of luck.

Advertisement