Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do while waiting for your Resident Parking Permit?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Last year they introduced pay & display parking on my road. I didn’t have a car, so it didn’t affect me. Now I’ve bought a car so will apply for the resident permit.

They want a few things from me, but the problem one is a copy of the insurance certificate, as I don’t have that yet. Until you get the permit you need to leave the car somewhere, and I would like to leave it outside my house. I don’t want to be clamped though. I also don’t really want to use up one or two weeks worth of visitor passes while I wait for my insurance certificate and then wait for DCC to send me the permit.

I once saw a car clamped on our road that had a sign up saying “Resident – Awaiting Permit” or something similar. Granted anyone could throw one of them up, so I’m not saying that should be enough, but surely there should be some provisional measure to cover the interim period between buying a car and getting all the necessary paperwork you need for the permit. Does anyone have any experience of this and what did you do?

I actually wouldn’t mind the car being clamped as long as they took it off for free, as I won’t be driving it until the insurance cert arrives anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

you will probably just have to pay for parking, or find somewhere nearby that has free parking until the permit arrives.

Do you have any relatives with a driveway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I applied, they gave me about eight resident's guest 24 hour scratchcards. I still have some left. They're not that expensive, if the alternative is a clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

If its NCPS, or whatever there called, give them a ring with the reg number and they will put it in the system for a few days until you get a permit.

I used to do this every week for my girlfriends car as she worked close to my place :D They never seemed to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Sorry to hijack the thread but as there is a parking permit thread created I will post here.

I am moving house in 2 months time.
    I know where I am going to be living (have the address etc and paid the deposit to the landlord).
    Do you have to submit a utility bill as proof of address or can this be substituted with a letter from the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Sorry to hijack the thread but as there is a parking permit thread created I will post here.

I am moving house in 2 months time.
    I know where I am going to be living (have the address etc and paid the deposit to the landlord).
    Do you have to submit a utility bill as proof of address or can this be substituted with a letter from the landlord?

A copy of your lease agreement will do as POA. It actually says "fully completed lease agreement or rent book" A letter from your landlord won't do. Bank, Credit Card or CU statement also. Maybe change your address with the bank and order a statement prior to moving in.
    They're not that expensive, if the alternative is a clamp.

No, they're not expensive individually. I'd just rather not have to use 10-14 €1.25 tickets (if it took that long, I'm at the mercy of my insurer/DCC's administration) when the parking for year costs €40.
    If its NCPS, or whatever there called, give them a ring with the reg number and they will put it in the system for a few days until you get a permit.

Thanks - might try that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement