Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on aiming...

Options
  • 05-07-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Looking for feedback on this...

PS3 player here...

Time and time again I find myself always aiming down the sight when not neccesary - close quarter encounters being one example - and I'm getting mowed down, losing one on one encounters when I should be doing better...

Question to the community is - do you have the same problem?

Obviously, in some situations like long range shots or finding someone at a distance who hasnt spotted you yet, aiming down the sights is neccesary but not for close quarters...

I guess I need to just train myself out of using it all the time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well this is mainly a PC format based community but here is my 2 cents.....

Me personally use the sights 99.9% of the time regardless of the situation, obviously if someone runs around the the corner and "SCARES THE SH!T" of you then you have to SHOOT FROM THE HIP.

Also it would help to know which guns shoot well from the hip and which guns dont. I mean the Engi guns mostly have very very little recoil but also have very little ammo, where as the medic guns recoil like crazy.

But trust me, learn to use the iron sights all the time!!! Sometimes I have the sight up on screen before I even know I pressed it when I play.

The more you play FPS game in general the better your reaction will get, also the better you get and you can use the skills from them all in new games.

I would say that the PS3 controller is no match for a keyboard and mouse and I bet you would be alot better on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I would say that the PS3 controller is no match for a keyboard and mouse and I bet you would be alot better on a PC.

Or he could get one of these.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/03/penguin-uniteds-eagle-eye-brings-wasd-to-your-ps3-shooters-dis/

SAweeeeeet...I did not know you could get that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Your reaction should be three things at once. Pressing the fire button, adjusting your aim and hitting the scope button. Your getting mowed down because your thinking first scope, then aim, then shoot. Meanwhile they have done all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I played battlefield 2 on the PC exclusively - and yes, my aiming was better with keyboard and mouse...

I think I might pick up one of those eagle eye converters for the crack...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Keyzer wrote: »
    I played battlefield 2 on the PC exclusively - and yes, my aiming was better with keyboard and mouse...

I think I might pick up one of those eagle eye converters for the crack...

Theres been a few similar gadgets in the past but apparently none felt quite right to seasoned pc gamers.
    This one however does look promising.
    If they could master such a device for consoles i would quite happily play fps on a console , until then im happy with the pc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

you just need more practice from level 1 to about level 15 i was dying 3 times to every kill or so but by level 20+ that was reversed, i haven't played a BF game in ages and coming from MW type games it took me a long while before i got the flow of the game, think my k/d is about 1.60 now but it was 0.60 till level 20 or so and matches end with me at about 3-4 k/d now

so practice practice practice

i took this guys advice early on in the game and i think it helped me alot but gun stats are probably changed now since patch
    http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/477441.page

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Can you imagine the absolute pain you could dish out with one of those on a console.

On one hand I think it's great, on the other it might just be another nail in the pc fps coffin.

You will never get the visuals or sound (with good PC setup)associated with the PC on the consoles....the only thing I feel the consoles do well are sports and maybe driving. Along with the GTA series.....

As a PC gamer ALMOST exclusively, every time I sit down to a console game I cringe at the graphics etc...I know its not all about visuals but I have yet to play a console game that made me smile....apart from the GTA series as said.

IMHO an FPS player bred on the PC would hammer a console FPS vet...its alot harder playing FPS games on PC the standard is alot higher...again only my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Mouse and keyobard are hard to beat. UT3 on the PS3 supported pad or mouse and keyboard. Got my ass handed to me 1 day so i hooked up the blue tooth mouse and keyobard and i kicked ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Some graphics looked amazing on the xbox..
    The first Halo for instance, Gears of War, Batman...of course it's easy to have nice looking graphics at 720p, the consoles would struggle above that whereas the PC can still handle it..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

karma_ wrote: »
    Can you imagine the absolute pain you could dish out with one of those on a console.

On one hand I think it's great, on the other it might just be another nail in the pc fps coffin.
    They've been around for a wile. Xbox has one. Xbox 360 has one. Both had a "blind spot". IE: couldn't aim in the full 360 degree. Unknown if this PS3 has a blind spot or not.
    obviously if someone runs around the the corner and "SCARES THE SH!T" of you then you have to SHOOT FROM THE HIP.
    Someone does that to me, they usually get an RPG to the face :D

Have shot the Medic guns from the hip, and zoomed in if given a chance, to snipe people off. Shooting the pistols from the hip gives good results, a lot better than shooting the sniper rifle from the hip, anyhoos.

Extreme close quaters, melee. Esp when you're in the proces of reloading, and you come up to an enemy, also reloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

You will never get the visuals or sound (with good PC setup)associated with the PC on the consoles....the only thing I feel the consoles do well are sports and maybe driving. Along with the GTA series.....

As a PC gamer ALMOST exclusively, every time I sit down to a console game I cringe at the graphics etc...I know its not all about visuals but I have yet to play a console game that made me smile....apart from the GTA series as said.

IMHO an FPS player bred on the PC would hammer a console FPS vet...its alot harder playing FPS games on PC the standard is alot higher...again only my humble opinion.

I think BFBC2 looks pretty damn good running on my PS3 and HDTV - the visuals and sounds are stunning.

I do agree that PC gamers are more "skilled" if you like than console games when it comes to FPS - the PC player will always have the edge with a mouse and keyboard. Aiming and accuracy will always be better on a PC as you are using your entire hand to move the mouse as opposed to your thumb on a console.

I'll get one of those converter things when they come out to see if things improve.

Had some good games over the last two nights though - I'm training myself to stop aiming down the sights/red dot sights all the time, its a bad habit I got into when moving to console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭rzelky

Keyzer wrote: »
    Looking for feedback on this...

PS3 player here...

Time and time again I find myself always aiming down the sight when not neccesary - close quarter encounters being one example - and I'm getting mowed down, losing one on one encounters when I should be doing better...

Question to the community is - do you have the same problem?

Obviously, in some situations like long range shots or finding someone at a distance who hasnt spotted you yet, aiming down the sights is neccesary but not for close quarters...

I guess I need to just train myself out of using it all the time...

First of all, make sure you have set your sensitivity right - [so that you can aim easily while 'aiming down the sight' - then practice on those settings alot]
    Second of all learn to manage your aiming while switching it down the sight aiming thingy on and off ....
    Third - as Cuddlesworth said: Your reaction should be three things at once. Pressing the fire button, adjusting your aim and hitting the scope button. Your getting mowed down because your thinking first scope, then aim, then shoot. Meanwhile they have done all three.
    And of course use your gun correctly ! in general - recon - long/aim // medic - long/aim - mid/aim - close/spray etc....

Amother little tip, when you see the "ENEMY" and you scope start to fire as the scope is starting to come on screen...i.e dont wait for the animation to go full circle.

Alot of peeps wait till the scope goes steady and then fire the milli sec difference can get you alot of kills....Trust me. Fire through the animation!

Advertisement