Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Town to Galway City-How Long?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm travelling from Donegal Town to Galway city this week, i'll be in a bit of a hurry! hoping some of you could give me an estimate of how quick I could actually (safely) make it?

Route planner etc are giving me a time of 3hours, anyone ever done it quicker?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

gleep wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm travelling from Donegal Town to Galway city this week, i'll be in a bit of a hurry! hoping some of you could give me an estimate of how quick I could actually (safely) make it?

Route planner etc are giving me a time of 3hours, anyone ever done it quicker?

I have done letterkenny to galway city in just over 3 hours, but it was 5am on a sunday morning and met very little traffic at all, plain sailing through the towns ect, 3 hours is a relativly fast time for during the week i think, if anything its a bit optimistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Thanks Homer!

Was thinking it was a bit much to ask. I'll give it a bash though! What are the n4, n15, n17 like these days? Are they dual carrigeways? I drove Derry to Galway about 3 year ago and the roads were decent enough till I was going between Sligo - Galway.

Thanks Homer!

Was thinking it was a bit much to ask. I'll give it a bash though! What are the n4, n15, n17 like these days? Are they dual carrigeways? I drove Derry to Galway about 3 year ago and the roads were decent enough till I was going between Sligo - Galway.

Very little dual carrigeways, only for a short while when you leave sligo untill you turn off the dublin road at colooney, its pretty bad from there though as far as charlestown but its grand from then on in, its mostly new roads with towns ect bypassed, but traffic can still be a nightmare on it, as its usually always heavy on it going both ways. Patience is the key :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

bypass ballyshannon and bundoran to save a few minutes. plus the bridge you go over is pretty cool :)

Sound lads, I'll be doin it wednesday, let you know how I get on. I'm not going to be reckless but I really need to put the foot down where I can!

• Advertisement

Sound lads, I'll be doin it wednesday, let you know how I get on. I'm not going to be reckless but I really need to put the foot down where I can!

Just be carefull the gardai are never off that road, and with going down on wednesday afternoon your only really going to save 5 - 10 minutes max by driving hard, your better off leaving earlier rather than getting points and fines ect, but its up to yourself :cool:, dont say ya wern't warned :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

2.45 to 3hours at a push OP, often do donegal town to sligo which is 45 to 60 minutes depending on traffic, done sligo to galway (some one else driving) in 2 hours. as a mater of interest just popped the diamond (donegal town) to eyre square in to the GPS, it gives about 3hrs 3 mins.

;)

Probably not worth the risk of getting points etc alright. I'll just see how it goes, I'm kind of stuck though as I have to get to two apointments and can't change the times, I'll be cutting it very very fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I saw your post on the Galway city forum, and as I said there I reckon u should do it in 2 h 45 ish. Word of warning though; in a rush or not, obey the 50kph speed limits in all the little towns and villages you go through, the gardai are always behind the gun in small spots on the N17 between Sligo and Galway, take it from someone who was caught :o

deccurley wrote: »
    I saw your post on the Galway city forum, and as I said there I reckon u should do it in 2 h 45 ish. Word of warning though; in a rush or not, obey the 50kph speed limits in all the little towns and villages you go through, the gardai are always behind the gun in small spots on the N17 between Sligo and Galway, take it from someone who was caught :o

Sound dec, I'll take that on board! Thanks for the tips on the two threads, much appreciated. If I can get it done in 3 hours at that time of day I reckon I'll be doing alright.

Thanks for all the replies peeps :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good luck anyhow :D

Pictures_389.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Be wary the far side of Miltown near the cemetary they never seem to leave there and yes unfortunately im speaking from experience !! First man in Donegal with points which i got in Galway !!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Specsavers? :D

muffler wrote: »
    Specsavers? :D

I don't get it:pac:

I don't get it:pac:
    The photo is still there. :)

It's not! Not on my screen anyway! Either them gards are getting REAL good at hiding or my computer's fecked!:P

funny-pictures-cats-computer-blue-screen-death.jpg

You should clear your cookies

Ah it's back! Different computer now though - :D

• Advertisement

Offical stats from Sat Nav

Time 2h 48m

Moving 2h 45m

Looks like ye all wernt too far off, pleased enough with this given the shambles that is the n17! So many trucks and tractors and go-slows! Don't get me started, I've just ranted to myself the whole journey :D

3 minute piss break?

Nope, I held it like a trooper all the way! That 3 mins is down to traffic lights etc i'd say.

Advertisement