Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Cow hocked"

Options
  • 05-07-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had a dog that was cow hocked? Our guy is (he'll be 1 on Friday) and we're waiting to go to UCD after being referred by the vet. The only thing is that he cut his paw there a week and a half ago and it's been hard to keep him calm and not run around to much and keep the bandage dry etc. I'm now getting stressed that he'll need surgery and it'll be a nightmare taking care of him!!! And there's another month to go until we find out whats wrong with him! :confused::( He's a retriever and his hips are fine - everyone is always telling me my labrador must have hip dysplasia :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What are they actually referring you to UCD for? A lot of dogs can be slightly cow hocked and it doesnt hinder them, so just wondering why they feel the need to referr him?
    Is he in pain? If his hips are ok then just interested to know their reasoning behind sending him to UCD?
    Cow hocked isnt a serious thing, it would be just a conformation fault and doesnt usually bother an animal but sounds like your dog is very bad?:confused:

I dont think theres any surgery that can fix a dog/animal being cow hocked but could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He's a bit lame from it - if he's not on Metacam he gets stiff and has some pain when he's running. I think the vet thinks he has tibial crest avulsion but he's not in agony like he should be so they're not 100% if thats what it is so referred him to ucd. Also any xrays you see of it online etc show a chunk of bone having been pulled out but there's no bone fragment on his xrays - just a dent in his bone on both legs so it could be a deformity.

Advertisement