Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all Dublin Bus drivers hate their jobs or just life in general?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The cheek of these bus drivers, trying to get a paper to read at lunch, not conveying their obvious delight at meeting all these generous, easy-going passangers each morning, rushing back to the depot after a shift, I mean the nerve of these people. Something needs to be done about this disgusting behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

my mate's a bus driver and he doesn't shut the fcuk up talking about his job. he loves it. i cant understand it. he's a bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Was on a 19 bus a few years back,when the driver drove into the Phibsboro depot,got up out of his seat and told the entire bus that we can go and fcuk ourselves

He then walked over to his car and drove off,think he was having a bad day,five minutes later we got a new driver....strange indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

No I just live in the area, know where Loughlinstown is and know where the 45a goes. Bray-Shankill-Ballybrack-Church Rd*-Churchview Rd*-Rochestown Avenue*-Sallynoggin-Dun Laoghaire.

If it went right instead of left at the end of Churchview road like the 7,11 it would go to Loughlinstown.

* all Killiney

Oh for god sake - you're not messing!?!

I assure you the 45A goes through Loughlinstown, I guess the most obvious palce on the route that people would know of is Cromlech Fields, Loughlinstown....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tomED wrote: »
    Oh for god sake - you're not messing!?!

I assure you the 45A goes through Loughlinstown, I guess the most obvious palce on the route that people would know of is Cromlech Fields, Loughlinstown....

which it goes past but not into. that roundabout and the roads either side are Ballybrack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hunnybee

Remember the bus driver in Intermission?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You were completely right to tell him he was in the wrong. He was. And for anybody who says otherwise, take any private operator with a driver who does the same thing and see how long he does it for.

He is paid to drive the bus from A to B. He can do what he wants on his breaks. He is entitled to nothing but the money from doing his job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Two minutes for a Metro person to respond to a call and stick a paper in the window?
    More like twenty seconds, if that....count it out.

which it goes past but not into. that roundabout and the roads either side are Ballybrack.

:confused:

Firstly, I didn't say "into", but that's neither here nor there. Secondly, the bus driver said he didn't go to Louglinstown, which even if we take your point into consideration, you expect him to have enough cop on to know he does.

Thirdly and probably most importantly - the area in question could in theory be classed as three seperate areas.

If we were to use the old way of naming areas (going by the local post office), it would be classed as Killiney.

If we were to use the Local Parish as the decider, it would be Loughlinstown (from the early 80s), and before that it would have been Ballybrack.

But sure, since most of the houses there are county council houses, shouldn't we use the address they put on the area? If so.... it's Loughlinstown.

Oh and then there is of course the local community - who use the small river as a guide (just like the liffey) to the border between Loughlinstown and Ballybrack - but that's just snobbery....

Regardless of all this, if you ask a bus a driver to drop you even remotely close to an area, they shouldn't argue with you over it.

Yeah, if they are concerned, they could offer advice - not argue and certainly not with a local!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Why were you even getting into a discussion about the destination with the driver at all?

Just state the fare you want, drop it in the box and say thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm sure driving a bus would be great craic if it wasn't for the passengers and all that traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I have to agree with monkeyface I took the bus from Blanchardstown shopping centre to Clonsilla one day and the driver was the rudest person I ever met. A polish guy got on the bus and his ticket was not working and the driver snapped at him when he asked for help. I was suprised the passenger did'nt make a complaint. When I was coming up to the stop I pressed the red button he swerved the bus and caused me to hit my head of the bar. I thought he was a right pig to be honest. They need to keep their person about them at all times and not be so negative. I find the same with the Bus Eireann drivers not very helpful and minimium amount of manners in general

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:confused:

Firstly, I didn't say "into", but that's neither here nor there.
    apologies, "through", not "into" is what you said.
    Secondly, the bus driver said he didn't go to Louglinstown, which even if we take your point into consideration, you expect him to have enough cop on to know he does.
    It doesn't and he was right.
    Thirdly and probably most importantly - the area in question could in theory be classed as three seperate areas.
    It could but it isn't.
    Regardless of all this, if you ask a bus a driver to drop you even remotely close to an area, they shouldn't argue with you over it.

So if you got in Bray and asked to go to Monkstown and the driver said nothing, you think that's ok, even though it goes no-where near there.
    Yeah, if they are concerned, they could offer advice - not argue and certainly not with a local!

He was right, you are wrong. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Another bus driver bashing thread, my God you losers cant get enough can yous? So you go to work and spend 20 mins of your working day posting on boards about how a bus driver delayed you by 20/30 secs picking up a metro. seriously this place gets worse every week.

Then the usual suspects roll in behind with their horror stories, most of which are pure bull**** may I add.

We got the Guy who thinks he heard the driver snapping at a polish guy who's ticket didn't work, maybe because it was a child school ticket?
    And thinks the polish guy should complain about the driver, despite smacking his head of the bar as the bus swerved into his stop, never tought to complain himself??

Then the guy who gets on the bus his used since he was 5 and asks if it goes to his hometown? Just so he can have a row with the driver over county council borders??

Who knows maybe the guy who claims the last 3 buses on his route didn't operate one night might make an apperance yet.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

paulm17781 wrote: »
    OP, you are right, he should not have gotten a paper and no, he is no "entitled" to do this. He can do this before he starts or on his break, not during his shift. I would report him for this. I despise this sense of entitlement people seem to have. What he is entitled to do, is drive the bus until his break and get commuters to work.

Now, I am expecting to get flamed for having an expectation that someone does their job properly, but that's what happens here... :rolleyes:

Well I can be very critical of Dublin Bus sometimes, and certainly there is an element among the staff that don't help their own cause.

But when a driver cannot put his arm out the window and accept a freely offered morning newspaper to read during his break, without being marked for report to his employer, then society has gone mad. What are you hoping, that he will be sacked from his job, or maybe you'd be like Uday Hussein, and have him simply 'disappear,' to be tortured, shot and thrown into the Liffey?

You had similar arrogant attitudes to taxi drivers some time back, if I remember. You need to learn to distinguish, that just because there are a bad element driving buses, or taxis, or doing any job under the sun, and you occasionally encounter them, that the large majority are ordinary decent people doing a thankless job, many of whom go out of their way to be helpful and polite.

Too many good and decent drivers leave the job after two years or so, because they get fed up day after day having to put up with the stupid, small minded arrogance of petty people who cannot sort out their own problems, and instead try to create problems for everyone else around them. I have to say, if I was a Dublin Bus driver, and someone was rude to me because I dared to take a free newspaper through the window, they would get a bloody great Foxtrot Oscar from me, no matter how polite I generally try to be in life.

Jesus Christ, the country is screwed because of really, deeply serious problems, and this is the petty nonsense that people go on with. Look, get your head together and sort out your own life, and stop making this country more of a miserable, pointless hellhole than it already is. What the bloody hell are we all alive on this Earth for, anyway? To be robots??? The guy took a free paper offered to him through the window! My Jesus... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Shock! Flamed for having high exceptions of people! How did I not see this coming? Oh wait, I did. :rolleyes:

I'm critical of anyone who doesn't do their job properly and feels they are "entitled" to do what they like. They are not. This is true of all walks of society, unfortunately Irish society is rife with this kind of carry on and needs to stop.

The reason I suggest the OP complain is because the driver A) should focus on driving B) has no right to talk to a customer that way. If I spoke to my customers that way, I would have no business.

At what point did your version of events happen? According to the OP, the driver stopped the bus and called the Metro guy over. This is not the same as accepting one through the window (which I suspect they are not allowed to do).

Perhaps you are happy with a mediocre badly functioning society, I am not.

Perhaps you are happy with a mediocre badly functioning society, I am not.

A bus driver calling the paper guy over for a free paper, is a mediocre, badly functioning society. I suppose the postman stopping for a chat with Mrs. Brown is indicative of a badly functioning society too, because your post might be two minutes late? Perhaps the butcher stopping to chat to Mrs. Green is holding you up? Perhaps that is why the girl on the deli counter doesn't smile, because her boss is afraid it will encourage chatting to customers on the job? One coffee shop owner in Kilcock actually chastised his waitress for chatting to customers as she was clearing a table. So there are people like you out there. I hope you are in the minority, otherwise we would live in a really horrible, unfriendly, miserable world.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

A waitress talking to her customers is completely different from a pointlessly delayed bus.
    My bus route goes past the depo where the bus drivers are swapped regularly, often they have a banal chin wag - sometimes for upto 5 minutes.
    That is taking the piss, pure and simple.

It's relative, I'd happily spend 5 or 50 minutes or far longer helping out a friend or family member, but two employees on the clock having a chin wag about total bollox while 50 people sit there looking on is utter nonsense.
    Believe me, that is a long frustrating 5 minutes to endure.

paddyland wrote: »
    A bus driver calling the paper guy over for a free paper, is a mediocre, badly functioning society. I suppose the postman stopping for a chat with Mrs. Brown is indicative of a badly functioning society too, because your post might be two minutes late? Perhaps the butcher stopping to chat to Mrs. Green is holding you up? Perhaps that is why the girl on the deli counter doesn't smile, because her boss is afraid it will encourage chatting to customers on the job? One coffee shop owner in Kilcock actually chastised his waitress for chatting to customers as she was clearing a table. So there are people like you out there. I hope you are in the minority, otherwise we would live in a really horrible, unfriendly, miserable world.

A bus driver stopping for a paper on a busy road is my issue when he was then told "it wasn't cool" (to quote the OP, not to make up events) shouts at his customer is my definition of a badly functioning society. Do not dare say someone is "like me", you don't know anything about me other than I have a high expectation of people. You'd probably find in most countries, bus drivers would not do this and rightly so. Perhaps you are incapable of seeing the bigger picture but what the OP describes is symptomatic of so many other things wrong with this country. To use your example of logic "Sure Sean Fitzpatrick was only borrowing a couple of hundred million, sure there was loads of money in the bank" or perhaps "Sure why not rezone the land and pay over the top for it, sure there's loads more land, this is only one little bit."

People like you who will defend someone in the wrong disgust me. You don't see the problems these attitudes create. You have not said why the bus driver could not get the paper later or earlier or mentioned the laws or DB rules that were broken by this act. You do not care he delayed people in their morning commute. You would rather attack me and make up a personality for me than accept the driver was in the wrong. This is a mediocre, badly functioning society and you have given me another example to add to this list.

"Flame on, flame on!" - The Birthday party, Sonny's burning.

Five minutes spent chatting while changing crew is wrong. I have sat on buses while this happened, I know all about it. My take on that is that crew changes should not happen en route, at all. That is an operational issue, not the fault of the drivers, although perhaps compounded if drivers take too long about it.

I would be hounding Dublin Bus to stop the practice of crew changes mid route. I still beg to doubt that a driver spent two whole minutes getting a free paper through the window. It's all relative. I feel there are plenty of issues to take Dublin Bus to task over. The free newspaper issue is pure nonsense, and only serves to undermine the arguments that genuinely need to be aired.

• Advertisement

Do not dare say someone is "like me"...

People like you...

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

It's a two way street, is it not? To quote the topic from the OP, I'm sure they would like their jobs better if all their passengers were pleasant. Sadly, they're not. You can't tell one side to lift their game if the other won't do so at the same time. :cool:

paddyland wrote: »
    :P

Yes, you implied a lot about me, based on nothing and making vast assumptions about me while posting nonsense about how I am "arrogant" for expecting people to do their jobs to a high standard and further attacked me, personally, for having issue with this, yet never mentioned the bus driver in the OP was wrong. That is what I meant by people like you, I'm not sure what ":p" was supposed to mean other than if you quote someone out of context, it apparently makes some point. I'll say it again "People like you who will defend someone in the wrong disgust me."

Do people like me who have an expectation that someone does their job to a high standard disgust you?
    wile1000 wrote: »
    It's a two way street, is it not? To quote the topic from the OP, I'm sure they would like their jobs better if all their passengers were pleasant. Sadly, they're not. You can't tell one side to lift their game if the other won't do so at the same time. :cool:

That is a good point. I often have to deal with unhappy customers, I try to appease them, not shout at them. I agree, a lot of passengers could be more pleasant (I always say hello and thank you to the driver, it's called manners). The problem is that the passengers aren't representing their companies with their demeanor, if they were, you'd bet they'd be a lot more polite. It's a culture in DB, CIE in fact, from the management down which needs to change. I don't doubt bus driving is a stressful job but this doesn't change that the driver is not "entitled" to shout out the window to get a free paper while working. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Originally Posted by paulm17781
    Do not dare say someone is "like me"...

People like you...
    I think we hit the nail on the head here, people have high expectations of other people and lose focus of their own personal problems, They expect you not to say "people like you" but they say it to you.

They expect people not to waste time while on the clock but then spend 20 mins ranting about it on boards as soon as they get to work.

People, especially boards folk should spend more time ensuring they are good hard working honest friendly people then bullying bus drivers who at the end of the day have a hard enough job without this sort of crap... driver did not break any rules that I am aware of.

It doesn't and he was right.

Eh it does, and both of you are wrong... Sure hwo would you know, you're not even from there.
    It could but it isn't.
    I've just given you three different reasons why it is...
    So if you got in Bray and asked to go to Monkstown and the driver said nothing, you think that's ok, even though it goes no-where near there.

Yet again, taking pieces that you want and not actually reading the post...
    He was right, you are wrong. Get over it.

Both of you are wrong.... get over it....

Why were you even getting into a discussion about the destination with the driver at all?

Just state the fare you want, drop it in the box and say thanks.

I didn't get into a discussion - I stated my destination so he could tell me the fare...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

When I get on a bus I expect to go from A to B safely and on time to the best of the driver's ability. The fact that any driver holds a bus up is unprofessional and shows nothing but contempt for the passengers. He is paid to do drive and this is why I expect him to do so. Our society is full of people who don't care about their profession they just want to collect their pay. There are enough threads about DB drivers, maybe if they changed their attitude and showed some professionalism these would disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Fair enough about the driver's over-reaction and the OP maybe not needing to make an issue out of it, but nevertheless I think it is pathetic that so many here are defending unprofessional behaviour by the bus driver. No it is not OK to pick up a paper while driving a bus and if it is considered so by many, that needs to change.

Yes it is a minor matter, but yet another symptom of a far deeper malaise in Ireland of just not having any interest in being proper about anything. It's like people are acting like a bunch of kids not wanting to have their parents tell them what they should and shouldn't do.

Ultimately such attitudes are part of why so many things in Ireland are "broken".

spareman wrote: »
    driver did not break any rules that I am aware of.

So it's ok to delay passengers while you get a paper in the middle of your shift?

Also, I dislike selective quoting, my quote was "People like you who defend those in the wrong disgust me". That's what he was doing, meanwhile he made a bunch of assumptions about me. Not close to the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Some do be in bad humour and some don't..

The one thing that does get on my tits is and the terminal in Abbey St the drivers close their doors, and anyone who comes near the bus after he closes the door is not let on, even though he is still at the stop.

Unless of course it happens to be one of his mates that need a lift to the garage around the corner.

Advertisement