Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all Dublin Bus drivers hate their jobs or just life in general?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TheCapedCrusade

So because a Bus driver moans at you for acting like an idiot, He automatically "hates his job or his life in general"? Grow up you twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

If you look at the thread title it asks the question if all DB drivers hate their jobs or life in general, what has that thread title got to do with a driver picking up a free metro, which correct if Im wrong was the op's complaint in the first place, these kind of thread titles annoy me, they put the idea out there that we are all the same, we are not.

I know it may not come across in my posts here but I actually love my Job, I love helping people who have questions, I love driving buses, I love to serve the people of Dublin and ensure they are delivered to their destination safely and on time, The only reason I read the posts here are to answer any questions I can, or to add an inside view on things if you like, I have always presumed that other drivers are just like me and therefore I find it hard to believe that drivers would act in such a nasty way towards the traveling public.

I know people have had bad experiances on buses, But I would like to think that nobody has ever had a bad experiance on my bus (that was not resolved at least by the time they got off), and I probably find it hard to believe some of the bad experiances people here have had. I think that is why I am so defensive of db when it comes to complaint threads here.

Ok so their are bad apples in every box as they say, I accept that, but please do not tar us all with the one brush.

To the op, why did you not just call this thread "bus delayed by selfish driver" or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Some rather humorous replys in this thread. Ranging from how the bus driver is the personification of why this country is f£*^ed up to entitlements and what not. Personally OP I can't understand your point , people are people , the man took a newspaper and i doubt it took 2 minutes. Sure you could have lost that time anyway moaning at him about it. Ive come across a small number of bus drivers I don't like , but if they get me to my destination within a reasonable and appropriate time as expected , i have no problems .

Jesus like its so petty and it doesn't reflect the state of this country , thats a bit of a dramatic overstatement , make life easy for the man , let him has his paper , its not too much to ask , like whats next ? Complaining about bus drivers for wasting your time because they let someone pull out of their garden? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ive come across a small number of bus drivers I don't like , but if they get me to my destination within a reasonable and appropriate time as expected , i have no problems .

Scrambled egg makes a valid point here,one which although quite relevant,runs counter to the modern Bus Company operating ethos which initially surfaced in the UK after Nicholas Ridley`s 1985 Deregulation of Public Bus Services.

The "old style" and generally well regarded Municipal operators owed quite a lot of their operating ethos to the Military.

The vast increase in personal mobility which accompanied the arrival of the Internal Combustion Engine and,soon after, Public Motor Transport services was something which could only function with a hirarchy in place.

The ending of WW1 and the subsequent demob of hundreds of thousands of Other Ranks,NCO`s and Officers meant a huge amount of compliant labour and supervision was available to the companies.

There are still plenty of ex London Transport platform staff around who will attest to the discipline centred nature of management and the existance of a bewildering array of closely typed rules and regulations which a Driver or Conductor was expected to obey.

Similar thinking existed throughout the UK Bus Industry which generally operated in an efficient manner as a result.

However with the ascendance of Margaret Hilda Thatcher and a closely knit troupe of like-minded Political arrivistes all this was to disappear virtually overnight.

In the olden times the Driver/Conductor was the Person in Charge of the Vehicle and very few challenges to their authority would be accepted.

It allowed for a clear and unambigious business relationship which even the dimmest could fathom.

Then suddenly we entered the new world where the Passenger morphed overnight into the Customer,a subspecies which did not always share the same elements of interaction with the Operator.

This new "Customer Friendly" ethos,whether real or imagined was far removed from the old ex-military style of operation and fostered the ill concieved notion that each and every Passenger could develop a meaningful relationship with their Busdriver,Shop Assistant,Doctor or whatever.

I`m at one with the Scrambled_egg here in that I am quite content to have zero interaction with my Passengers,and any journey that I complete with this result I would regard as a journey well made.

We are all involved in the lower-end of the Public Transport market,the Mass-Transit,Sell em Cheap and Pack-Em in scenario which if operating well is quite acceptable thank you.

Those persons who desire the more personal touch do have options available in the form of Private Hire vehicles such as Taxi`s,Hackney Car`s or the High-End added value luxury focused services such as Aircoach or the Patton Flyer...ye pays yer money and ye takes yer choice.

I`m not for a moment condoning ignorance or unacceptable behaviour from any public facing staff member,but yea I think Scrambled egg has a good grasp of the nuances of actually gettin along with life in an imperfect world...
    Jesus like its so petty and it doesn't reflect the state of this country , thats a bit of a dramatic overstatement , make life easy for the man , let him has his paper , its not too much to ask , like whats next ? Complaining about bus drivers for wasting your time because they let someone pull out of their garden?

Hmmmm....now there `s a thought :D:D:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement