Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adare Traffic Chaos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

while 25-30k hats were sold, under 16s and over 65s were free and there were a whole heaps of 17/18/19 year olds all claiming they were under 16. they'll be protesting their older age by the weekend trying to get into the niteclubs :D

It's quite amusing watching the local girls of this age group in their pink tracksuits and eyeliner going off to watch......a golf tournament?? :D Never thought I'd see the day....oh wait, it might be something to do with a certain pop band :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

I don't know how this guy who avoids paying taxes in this country can get away with holding up all the traffic for a privileged game played by bankers and property developers. The majority of people in the Mid-West have no interest in McManus, Woods or any other wan*er out there. We have to live in this sh*t hole, not them. They can p*ss back to where they came from in their private jets. What a ridiculous event! Just pay your taxes you greedy b*stard and there might be no need to raise money for charities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Which would you rather?

JP donating millions to needy local charities and clubs or JP giving 50 million to the Government to pump into another bottomless pit of a bank?
    +1 Things that should be essential services are left to charities to plug the gaps - 50million would mean that the government would not have to borrow money for 48 hours to feed the inefficient public service. That's all, burnt off just like that, gone up in a puff of inadequacy and over-inflated sense of entitlement...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Rookster wrote: »
    I don't know how this guy who avoids paying taxes in this country can get away with holding up all the traffic for a privileged game played by bankers and property developers. The majority of people in the Mid-West have no interest in McManus, Woods or any other wan*er out there. We have to live in this sh*t hole, not them. They can p*ss back to where they came from in their private jets. What a ridiculous event! Just pay your taxes you greedy b*stard and there might be no need to raise money for charities.

Would you rather he stayed living in Switzerland and gave nothing back to Limerick so?

The begrudgery and short sightedness on this thread is ridiculous. We have MILLIONS being raised for local charities, global media coverage for Limerick and Adare, 50,000 fans travelling to the region and all the muppets can do is complain because they have to sit in their car for 20 minutes longer.

Try travelling through Adare on a bank holiday weekend? Traffic is chaotic too but at least this traffic jam is going to set up local charities for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Jigga wrote: »
    And McManus should be paying twice that a year in tax if he paid them like the rest of us.

Its not like tax revenue gets spent on Schools, Hospitals, Policing or Infrastructure.

- How would you like to give the Irish State €60,000,000 a year that gets magically soaked up in 20 minutes on massaged overtime hours and fiddled expenses for our cynical, thieving Public Sector - one arm of which will hand it out to Scumbags weekly in big armfuls just to keep them quiet and suitably fcuking useless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Rookster wrote: »
    What a ridiculous event! Just pay your taxes you greedy b*stard and there might be no need to raise money for charities.

Every charity in the MidWest who benefits from this 'ridiculous event' would beg to differ with your ignorant opinion.
    Besides the ProAm which has given 55million to MidWest charities to date (and not including this event) there are many other charity related events, donations and scholarships which receive funds from Mr. McManus.

It's heartwrenchlingly sad when an individual like you belittles an event many charities long to hope to benefit from during a tough recession.

So what if he evades tax on his personal wealth. His Irish based businesses still pay their tax. His businesses still pay their employers taxes and levies for the hundreds of people kept in jobs because of this individual and believe me the amount of vat the government exhume from his Irish Affairs is enough to make them not charge more than the €2m he has to pay to be an exile.

Leave Mr. McManus and his personal tax affairs alone and think about the sick and dying individuals who have a chance of receiving better treatment for their illnesses than our government could ever provide no matter how big their tax revenues get.

Get over your jealous begrudging unsuccessful attitude and embrace what this event truly has to offer for many - Hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Do ye actually know how much he is worth? Its the equivalent of us not paying our taxes and throwing a couple of euro into the Trocaire box. If we all followed JP's example we would have no schools, hospitals or roads.

A real embarrassment how Limerick people think he is so great. Blinkered idiots. I don't have time for tax exiles and the fact he gives a fraction of what he should be paying in tax to charity doesn't excuse him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Do ye actually know how much he is worth? Its the equivalent of us not paying our taxes and throwing a couple of euro into the Trocaire box. If we all followed JP's example we would have no schools, hospitals or roads.

A real embarrassment how Limerick people think he is so great. Blinkered idiots. I don't have time for tax exiles and the fact he gives a fraction of what he should be paying in tax to charity doesn't excuse him.

So you prefer him to give that money to our government than help local charities, lets hope you wont ever need to use any of the services we wouldnt have only for Jp.
    You, not Jp is the embarrassment to Limerick

Tell me what taxes he should pay in Ireland??

He left Ireland in 1993 and wasn't worth a fraction of what he is now.
    He made his money while working abroad, why should he pay taxes in Ireland on it??

As he said himself, "if you go to work abroad and you don't do particularly well, you're an immigrant. If you do well when you go abroad, you're an exile."

He could just as easily stay in his ivory tower in Switzerland and never bother with Limerick/Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

And McManus should be paying twice that a year in tax if he paid them like the rest of us.

would you gladly pay 60 million a year in tax if you could get away without doing it?

thought not.

• Advertisement

Knowing the value of his personal wealth does not deter me from my opinion of how this individual manages their personal tax affairs.

If he stays out of the country X number of days of the year to avoid paying some tax on his personal wealth then that's his business. He keeps alot of Irish people employed doing just that.

The funding received at charites across the MidWest because of him is priceless to the beneficiaries of events such as the ProAm.

There are no blinkered idiots here just normal working class people supporting an individual who cares enough about our local charities to host a world class event such as this which funding from is badly needed in our area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

JP is not actually giving the money for charity. Normal people are by paying €50 to see the celebrities play golf.

He is claiming Irish citizenship but doesn't pay his taxes because of a loophole his friends in Fianna Fail helped him with. The country is in the shítter and ye see no problem with what he and his ilk are doing. Only the little people pay taxes I suppose.

Believe me, alot of his personal resources are being used for this event which does cost him personally.
    What about he scolarships he funds personally?
    There are many more direct contributions made to the MidWest charities that alot of people are unaware of.
    He pays €2m as a levy on his personal wealth.
    All his Irish business pay taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

JP is not actually giving the money for charity. Normal people are by paying €50 to see the celebrities play golf.

He is claiming Irish citizenship but doesn't pay his taxes because of a loophole his friends in Fianna Fail helped him with. The country is in the shítter and ye see no problem with what he and his ilk are doing. Only the little people pay taxes I suppose.

Go away out of that!

You've already been told numerous times how he LEGALLY conducts his business.

I don't know the man personally; but he was a great friend of my Uncle, there are so many things this man has quietly achieved for his county and country, things that will probably never be recorded.

What good would it do if his charitable donations were poured into the vortex that is the Irish economy, so some anonymous banker can take his golden handshake and piss off out of the country?

By the way, tearing over to AH and posting about other's opinions was a sneaky move.

Good day.

:rolleyes:

How about you address the points I raised in my post?

Showcases the notion of "Pick your fights......"

This is the thread Mud mentioned.

Raiser wrote: »
    Showcases the notion of "Pick your fights......"

This is the thread Mud mentioned.

What did you do with the thread you fiend?

Apparently U2 got started in their career on winning a Limerick Band Competition in The Stella on Roches Street.

- Now they are tax exiles too; Gett'em Jigga!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

This is totally bull.

JP Manus never ever claimed Irish citizenship. He was born into Irish Citizenship. Just like many Irish people who left our shores over centuries to find Jobs and earn a living in other countries.

I do not begrudge JP McManus for his wealth. He earned his money and is a shrewd business person who constantly analysis any failing in his business affairs from gambling/racing, etc to hotels and learnt from them, unlike our Government. He did not have to spend any penny in Ireland in Charities, yet he did. He finance Charities that do not waste the money and if they do, his charity company (JP McManus Foundation) will not finance them in future, unlike our Government in the mighty black hole that is ANGLO and many bad FAS Courses, poor (non care) Health Service, TD's Huge wages and expenses, etc. And never forget the €22 Billion+ that the government spend our Taxes into ANGLO IRISH that we will never see again.

All you have to do is type Charity & "JP Mcmanus" in Goggle and see all the contributions to worthwhile Charities his money have gone into, instead of making lazy comments about JP McManus about not paying Taxes in Ireland. Of course he is paying Taxes in Ireland, every time he step foot in Ireland. You cannot buy anything without paying VAT on any product or services. The Only Taxes he is not currently paying is Income Tax. Without people like him (Philanthropists) many many Charities here in the Mid west would be in dire straights and not only in this recession because of our Government bad handling of the economy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6936188.ece
    There is over 6000 of Irish Citizens who are using the tax Exile loop hole. Of all of them, he has by far pump more needed money into our economy and the Work with the Pro-am in Adare is huge advertisement in Ireland Tourism which Ireland badly need these Days.

The 50 Euro is going directly to the Charities pockets not towards the Tournament Expenses. JP McManus is paying for the event and all costs associated with it including players expenses.

A two day Traffic problems, I can get over as they are always other routes around Adare in which I use on a regular basis at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 llerena24

damn lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I was at the pro am today.Was a very enjoyable day out in West Limerick I must admit,but I did think it was a gross waste of money.
    It must have cost absolute millions to stage the event. That marquee put up for the dinner tonight is such a sign of opulance and excessive in a world where most people die of starvation.

It was quite sickening to see politicians like Charlie McCreevy playing considering so many people in West Limerick are really struggling with the recession.

Well done for so many Limerick people putting their hands in their pockets and donating €50 to all the worthwhile Limerick charities.

panda100 wrote: »
    I was at the pro am today.Was a very enjoyable day out in West Limerick I must admit,but I did think it was a gross waste of money.
    It must have cost absolute millions to stage the event. That marquee put up for the dinner tonight is such a sign of opulance and excessive in a world where most people die of starvation.

It was quite sickening to see politicians like Charlie McCreevy playing considering so many people in West Limerick are really struggling with the recession.

Well done for so many Limerick people putting their hands in their pockets and donating €50 to all the worthwhile Limerick charities.

:confused:

Every penny raised by the event goes to charity.
    So what if some things are a bit OTT, JP has attracted the worlds top celebrities to play, which in turn attracted punters to paying €50. Do you think if JP gave the golfers/celebs tea and sandwiches in the woodlands that would be back again?

He is spending money to raise money, and raise the profile of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

panda100 wrote: »

The teams have paid to enter too, or have qualified through competitions which lots of people paid to enter. The "opulance" you saw will raise much more than it cost.

Celebrities love Charity events - For them it is all about lines of cocaine, gallons of Champagne, opportunities for tax write-offs and 3 days of guilt free binging while the World at large applauds their human decency.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    :confused:

Every penny raised by the event goes to charity.
    So what if some things are a bit OTT, JP has attracted the worlds top celebrities to play, which in turn attracted punters to paying €50. Do you think if JP gave the golfers/celebs tea and sandwiches in the woodlands that would be back again?

He is spending money to raise money, and raise the profile of Limerick.
    Not just Limerick, the mid-west and the rest of Ireland as well.
    The more these Celebs speak about their experience here in Interviews, the more other people want to come here.

I hate to see the Bill for the Tournament!!! Thank god, I am not paying it. I cannot pay it off in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Use a calculator much? €50 per hat is not gonna raise 30 million plus... not even one tenth of the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Jigga

You have made your point. do not post in this thread again. thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I find it amazing, a match, concert or golf thingie, only 34,000 visitors and the country drowns in traffic and comes to a halt.

Daytona Speedway gets a million visitors a day for five days in the USA ... they move the entire population of Ireland ... no bother at all.

gbee wrote: »
    I find it amazing, a match, concert or golf thingie, only 34,000 visitors and the country drowns in traffic and comes to a halt.

Daytona Speedway gets a million visitors a day for five days in the USA ... they move the entire population of Ireland ... no bother at all.

Talk about an exaggeration.

One small town comes to a halt. The same way it does every Friday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I cannot believe the begrudger's in this county, You have a man who spends years organising a star studded event to not only increase the revenue of the charities involved but also the jobs on many people in Adare and beyond, Customers for all the shops, restaurants and Hotels in the general area and all the worlds media that stayed in local hotels and B&B. Taxis and coaches that ferried people in and out. Limerick on the world stage with a good news story.

I chose to live in Limerick, My sons are proud to be Limerick born, we attend most of all the events that this city has to offer and all you get are people on this site sticking their two fingers up and huffing over somebody else's business and financial affairs that are none of your concern.. If my €100 goes to getting a kid a hot meal after school or a family to get an afternoon rest-bite to go to the beach then it is well spent because my family and I enjoyed our day out and we are the lucky ones that don't need the charities help today.

Advertisement