Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adare Traffic Chaos

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

gbee wrote: »
    I find it amazing, a match, concert or golf thingie, only 34,000 visitors and the country drowns in traffic and comes to a halt.

Daytona Speedway gets a million visitors a day for five days in the USA ... they move the entire population of Ireland ... no bother at all.

You should have seen some of the tweets coming out of Glastonbury last week. people were stuck in traffic for hours after the event .

I would say that the ongoing works on O'Connell avenue on top of the closing of Sarsfield street had more of an affect on traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jigga, I'll have to assume you are trolling because if you are serious then you are severely embarrassing yourself.
    JP McManus is rightly acknowledged as one of the finest men to ever come out of Limerick. Yes he lives abroad for tax reasons but look at what he gives back to his home City.
    • The JP McManus scholarship for students of CBS Sexton St.
    • The funding of the Kemmy Business School @ UL
    • The 5 million contribution to Limerick GAA towards the Gaelic Grounds redevelopment.
    • His continued sponsorship of Limerick GAA.
    • The JP McManus invitational pro-am every five years. Raised 19m for Mid West charities in 2000, 30m in 2005 and figures of 50m are being estimated for this years event.
    The guy is as humble and giving as you'll come across, not just some tax exile who has turned his back on the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Aidric wrote: »
    Jigga, I'll have to assume you are trolling because if you are serious then you are severely embarrassing yourself.
    JP McManus is rightly acknowledged as one of the finest men to ever come out of Limerick. Yes he lives abroad for tax reasons but look at what he gives back to his home City.
    • The JP McManus scholarship for students of CBS Sexton St.
    • The funding of the Kemmy Business School @ UL
    • The 5 million contribution to Limerick GAA towards the Gaelic Grounds redevelopment.
    • His continued sponsorship of Limerick GAA.
    • The JP McManus invitational pro-am every five years. Raised 19m for Mid West charities in 2000, 30m in 2005 and figures of 50m are being estimated for this years event.
    The guy is as humble and giving as you'll come across, not just some tax exile who has turned his back on the country.

Sounds like he has a guilty conscience! If he paid his taxes like everybody else he would not receive as much publicity. He sounds to me like a greedy b*stard looking for attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Rookster wrote: »
    Sounds like he has a guilty conscience! If he paid his taxes like everybody else he would not receive as much publicity. He sounds to me like a greedy b*stard looking for attention.

Ah I think thats a bit unfair. On a personal level he seems like a decent bloke.

However,I agree that its very,very frustrating that I have to pay my taxes to bail out JP's rich buddies in NAMA and he doesnt. If I had the choice too I would give my tax money to all the invaluble charitys and services in Limerick and Im sure then I would also be one of the most celebrated women in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

panda100 wrote: »
    However,I agree that its very,very frustrating that I have to pay my taxes to bail out JP's rich buddies in NAMA and he doesnt. If I had the choice too I would give my tax money to all the invaluble charitys and services in Limerick and Im sure then I would also be one of the most celebrated women in Limerick.

This is very true.. Alot of people are saying why should he give his money to the useless government via income tax.. For the same reason everybody else does (to keep the place going).. i give to charity and when im at work i pay income tax.. I think he should pay income tax if he is required to do so if not then i wouldnt either if i wasnt required..

But hey im all for his charity work.. and the pro-am i think there is just something kinda cool about all those talented people being in my small little county.. plus its something to do that does not invole drink!! YAY!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i'd be fairly sure there's an element of trolling going on here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Ah I think thats a bit unfair. On a personal level he seems like a decent bloke.

Will you read the point I made earlier???

He made his money abroad, why should he pay taxes here?
    He has irish citizenship which is his god given right. If JP had gone to France and opened a small restaurant that turned over 50k a year would you still expect him to pay taxes in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

I am a huge fan of what JP has done for Limerick. I went to CBS ( before the scholarships ) and think that what he has done for this city and country far exceed any possible income from tax that would just disappear into wasted projects and stupid spending by this farce of a government!

CCSL wrote: »
    I am a huge fan of what JP has done for Limerick. I went to CBS ( before the scholarships ) and think that what he has done for this city and country far exceed any possible income from tax that would just disappear into wasted projects and stupid spending by this farce of a government!

So because the Government wastes the money we then should'nt pay taxes. Can I pay my favourite charity rather than paying tax to the Gov who will only waste it?

So because the Government wastes the money we then should'nt pay taxes. Can I pay my favourite charity rather than paying tax to the Gov who will only waste it?

Explain to us what he should pay tax on there like a good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Perhaps.

The Irish Independent ran a story today about a Woman with fourth stage ovarian cancer spending 25 of her last precious few hours lying on a Hospital Trolley in a Corridor of A&E in one of the Irish States "Centres of Excellence"

- At this point we'd be as well off posting our Tax Revenue to random Scientologists or the Taliban.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

So its JP MacManus this week, usually its Bono/Bob Geldof that people are whining about as regards tax. God knows if I was in their position I'd do the same. Perhaps people should be more concerned about those who DO break the law rather than those who don't.

And yes as a golf fan its brilliant to see Adare being put on the map like this event, I can put up with the traffic issues for one week, sure as someone else said its practically like that every weekend goin thru Adare anyway.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Will you read the point I made earlier???

He made his money abroad, why should he pay taxes here?
    He has irish citizenship which is his god given right. If JP had gone to France and opened a small restaurant that turned over 50k a year would you still expect him to pay taxes in Ireland?

If he spent the majority of his time in this country and used its services then yes I would expect them to pay taxes here.

Look,I have a lot of respect for JP,its not that him personally im begrudging but the system we're living in. Its one law for the rich and another for us plebs when it comes to everything be that tax or whatever. Im just sick of it and even though I had a lovely day yesterday in adare it doesnt make up for the clear divide on how the rich and ordinary citizens are treated in this country.

If he spent the majority of his time in this country and used its services then yes I would expect them to pay taxes here.

Look,I have a lot of respect for JP,its not that him personally im begrudging but the system we're living in. Its one law for the rich and another for us plebs when it comes to everything be that tax or whatever. Im just sick of it and even though I had a lovely day yesterday in adare it doesnt make up for the clear divide on how the rich and ordinary citizens are treated in this country.

Yes but he doesn't spend the majority of his time here. That's why he doesn't have to pay tax here. He just happens to be in position where the money he has made abroad allows to spend a large portion of his time back in Ireland.

I don't know how something as brilliant as the golf classic that raises €30m for local charities can made into an us v them arguement, or about a rally against "the system". I know the points you are trying to make about rich people being treated differently but it's just a fact of life and it has been since the dawn of time, not just in Ireland.

Yes but he doesn't spend the majority of his time here. That's why he doesn't have to pay tax here. He just happens to be in position where the money he has made abroad allows to spend a large portion of his time back in Ireland.

I don't know how something as brilliant as the golf classic that raises €30m for local charities can made into an us v them arguement, or about a rally against "the system". I know the points you are trying to make about rich people being treated differently but it's just a fact of life and it has been since the dawn of time, not just in Ireland.

So he doesn't spend the majority of his time here,but the money he has made allows him to spend a large portion of his time here? :confused:

I do not believe the gross inequality's we see in this world are natural,a fact of life and have been since the dawn of time. They are completely man made and can be unmade too.
    I think real charity is about challenging the system that causes us to have so many people in need of suicide helplines,domestic violence centers, alchol rehabilitation units, st vincent de paul etc etc. Money is a small and insignificant part of real charity,but it allows many people, particularly the rich, to alleviate their unease in a relatively convenient way.

I don't want to derail this thread though and I appreciate others see the pro am in a very differnt light than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

This thread is becoming more and more depressing and should be closed as it is gone completely off topic and all the posters are getting caught up in a ridiculous argument, myself included.

Mr. McManus legally avoids paying income tax on his Irish Personal Wealth. Big Deal!
    He avoids it legally because he can but pays a levy of €2m to do just that.
    If you could do it you would. Everybody hates paying tax and if there is a legal loophole around it why not use it. It's up to the government to close the loophole.
    But, because of the amount of tax he is not paying people are attacking his good doing and that is not fair.

Be honest now, how many of you declared your car "off the road" for a month (or more) to get a months car tax for free? That is tax evasion!

How many neighbours you know of are claiming benefits they are not entitled to yet nobody will report them? That is illegal downright fraud yet people turn a blind eye!

How many people are staying at home and looking after other peoples children for a fee yet not declaring it to revenue? That is also illegal and is tax avasion.

Everybody somewhere in this country knows of someone doing stuff they shouldn't do which is just illegal and you complain and whinge but never pick up the phone and report them. Yet you have the cowardice to come on an anonymous posting site and whinge about a legal tax avoiding tax exile who is constantly contributing in some way to our community while illegal fraudulent spongers claim benefits from another country.
    See the wood from the trees people, stop moaning and let's get back on topic...
    WHAT ABOUT THAT TRAFFIC!!!:p
    Didn't get caught up in it myself but like the tax thing, I avoided it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Should also be moved to county limerick boards as this is the city one

Maybe it should be moved to the Switzerland board!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭db

I'm reading a book about the Kray twins at the moment. One of their scams was to collect money from the ordinary people in the East End to give to the families of prisoners. They also ran events where their friends in show business would contribute to their "charity". When the prisoners got out they went back to their normal lives but always remembered the help they got from the Krays and would let them know of any rumours they heard around London. A lot of people around London thought of the Krays as charitable instead of the nasty vicious thugs they were. Come to think of it the Krays didn't pay taxes either.

db wrote: »
    I'm reading a book about the Kray twins at the moment. One of their scams was to collect money from the ordinary people in the East End to give to the families of prisoners. They also ran events where their friends in show business would contribute to their "charity". When the prisoners got out they went back to their normal lives but always remembered the help they got from the Krays and would let them know of any rumours they heard around London. A lot of people around London thought of the Krays as charitable instead of the nasty vicious thugs they were. Come to think of it the Krays didn't pay taxes either.

Oh FFS.
    Will somebody ban these fools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭db

Oh FFS.

Why? Is noone allowed to have a different opinion to yours?

Tax evasion is not illegal but in my opinion it is immoral. If the 6000 wealthy tax exiles quoted earlier in the thread all paid their taxes the same as the rest of us this country would be in a much better state than it is now.

I would love to be able to decide how my taxes are spent but the system doesn't work like that. We all pay into a common pool which is then used for the good of all. The decisions as to how our taxes are spent are made by the government we elect.

The point that has been made is how Limerick people think the sun shines out of JP's backside. He has made a great contribution to the Limerick area but the vast majority was not from his money but from the punters who paid to watch the golf and his rich friends who bought items at the auction at huge prices.

I would have a lot more respect for Michael O'Leary who has made a decision to live in this country and pay his taxes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

eh..... The Krays and JP in the same bracket, now I clearly see the error of his ways.

Get a grip please, opinions are fine, ill informed accusations are not.

BTW tax avoidance and evasion are different, I would gladly do one if I had the legal means, if you would not for moral reasons then fair play, but I'd suggest you might be in the minority.

db wrote: »
    I'm reading a book about the Kray twins at the moment.
    Oh FFS.

What are the fcuking Kray Twins doing on the Limerick Forum?

- Where the fcuk is Billy and Mr. E?

"BILLY??????!?!!!!!!!!!??!?"

Raiser wrote: »
    What are the fcuking Kray Twins doing on the Limerick Forum?

- Where the fcuk is Billy and Mr. E?

"BILLY??????!?!!!!!!!!!??!?"

They are on Zombie Patrol.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Raiser wrote: »
    Where the fcuk is Billy and Mr. E?

According to the list at the bottom of the page, Mr. E no longer mods this forum! :(

I had to laugh at the mention of the Kray brothers in this thread. Some people really have too much time on their hands if they can link traffic problems from a charity event in Limerick to Cockney crime in the last century.

According to the list at the bottom of the page, Mr. E no longer mods this forum! :(

I had to laugh at the mention of the Kray brothers in this thread. Some people really have too much time on their hands if they can link traffic problems from a charity event in Limerick to Cockney crime in the last century.

My active Users list says he's online now......

- Perhaps he'll post and tell us all why he left us, crying and alone in a Vista not unlike the Set of the Major Hollywood Motion Picture The Road?

Advertisement