Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL funding from FÁS/Social Welfare

Options
  • 05-07-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So, I was on the TEFL website the other day, and as I am unemployed at the moment, I saw an interesting box stating that the unemployed are entitled to a discount. And they offer a call back service for an inquiry.

This afternoon I received a call form one of their staff.
    They said that there was a 10% discount for anyone on the social for any of their courses, but at the moment, there is a 15-20% discount on all courses (An offer going at the moment), and they stated that I would be best off buying soon if I wanted to avail of this better discount.

The operator also mentioned that sometimes FÁS and or the Social Welfare cover the cost of these courses for people.

I was just wondering, have any of you heard of this, or actually seen it happen.
    If not, then what do you think the likelihood would be?
    Given the current economic climate, and the fact that I have been unemployed for some time. I would like to broaden my chances of gaining employment and would jump at the chance of teaching abroad.

Although my studies have not been in that field.
    (Computing mainly, with a year of administration)

Thank you for your time to read over this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

About two years ago I asked FAS if they'd pay for all or part of a TEFL course and they said no. They don't offer them and they don't pay for them. That was a while ago though, so maybe things have changed. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hooray

anybody have any more information on this topic?
    I am currently on JSA and want to do a CELTA course. Now I don't excpect FAS to pay all the fees for the course, but it would be great if I can keep my JSA when I'm on the course.
    I made an appointment with the FAS jobs facilitator yesterday, so just waiting for him/her to get back to me.
    But any info in the mean time would be great.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

The exact same as Cliona Im afraid.

This was the start of 2010 too. I lost all faith in Fas that day but not for that reason alone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hooray

Well I spoke to the jobs facilitator in my local social welfare office. He said I could do the course and keep my JSA. They don't pay the fees, but I'm not surprised by that.
    I'm just happy I can do the course and keep my benefit while doing it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 YolkFace

I know this is an old post but to answer the first question...
    the Back to Education department will pay 75% of your TEFL fee of up to 750-800 euro,
    provided you can supply proof that you will definitely get a job with it.
    I haven't tried yet so I don't know what kind of 'proof' they need but it shouldn't be too hard as there are 100's of TEFL jobs out there.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement