Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is fedor still considered #1 by so many??

• 05-07-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Il admit at the start of this thread that i have not been a fan of mma for very long...around a year to be precise

But i have one question that i would like other educated mma fans opinions on because frankly i dont understand it, my question would be why do so many mma fans regard fedor as the number 1 fighter in the world??

From what i can see with my limited knowledge i may add, is that he has fought nobody of any real note for the past few years and in any other sport if you dont compete against the best on a regular basis you dont earn the tag of being "the best".

And im not just jumping on the bandwagon over his recent loss its just something i dont understand, is it all just media hype or is it the general opinion that some how without fighting any decent fighters he is actually the best mmafighter around??

I know regarding football players they are judged on current form (over a season for awards) so why should mma rankings be much diff?? with the obv extension of times due to amount of fights that can be had etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

fogarty245 wrote: »
    Il admit at the start of this thread that i have not been a fan of mma for very long...around a year to be precise

But i have one question that i would like other educated mma fans opinions on because frankly i dont understand it, my question would be why do so many mma fans regard fedor as the number 1 fighter in the world??

From what i can see with my limited knowledge i may add, is that he has fought nobody of any real note for the past few years and in any other sport if you dont compete against the best on a regular basis you dont earn the tag of being "the best".

And im not just jumping on the bandwagon over his recent loss its just something i dont understand, is it all just media hype or is it the general opinion that some how without fighting any decent fighters he is actually the best mmafighter around??

I know regarding football players they are judged on current form (over a season for awards) so why should mma rankings be much diff?? with the obv extension of times due to amount of fights that can be had etc

Well "the best" heavyweights right now are in the UFC. I think Fedor has fought the best outside of the UFC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Waiting for this thread/
    Well "the best" heavyweights right now are in the UFC. I think Fedor has fought the best outside of the UFC.

What about Overeem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Fedor has beat the highest caliber of opponent in MMA at Heavyweight class, his loss imo was a freak and would not happen again if they where to fight 20 more times-Standing up he would play with the likes of Brock and on the ground if he grabs a limb, Bye Bye!

Overeem is also very good and in my opinion these 2 are the top 2 heavyweights in MMA, add to them-Carwin, Brock, Velasquez and Dos santos and that might be the top 6, mir at 7!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Fedor has beat the highest caliber of opponent in MMA at Heavyweight class

When though?

I think fogarty245 cuts straight to centre of the discussion here:

Fedor IS the greatest heavyweight of all time but his last major win was 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

rovert wrote: »
    Waiting for this thread/

What about Overeem...

It's only now Overeem is starting to fight in the US again. IMO Fedor's last fight should of been with Overeem.

• Advertisement

When though?

Fedor IS the greatest heavyweight of all time but his last major win was 5 years ago.

Arlovski was the real deal when he got beat by Fedor and in my opinion would still kck ass in the UFC..

cowzerp wrote: »
    Arlovski was the real deal when he got beat by Fedor and in my opinion would still kck ass in the UFC..

His chin vs Carwin, come on now Paul, really?

His chin vs Carwin, come on now Paul, really?

i never said anything about Carwin, but Arlovski's boxing is way better than Carwins and he may not even get hit at all, he only got hit by Fedor because he was stupid doing his flying knee!

Ability wise, Arlovski is not to be sniffed at, Chin is a problem i concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fogarty245

But again i raise the point when was his last big fight against one of the other debatable top 5 fighters???

If your not fighting the best and competing at the highest level against the highest level of competition you cant be regarded as the best in my opinion..it makes no sense at all??

theres so many examples of other professionals in other sports that i could give you that "where" the best a few years ago but there not competing at that level now and are simply not regarded as the best which is rightly so i would have tought...so why is mma dif compared to every other sport in regards to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd have Arlovski as a big underdog against Brock, Carwin, Cain and Dos Santos.

Would like to see him take on Big Nog or Mir. but it's unlikely to happen any time soon and probably not at all.

Fedor is definitely the best heavyweight MMA fighter ever, but he hasn't fought enough top fighters in recent years to still lay claim to being #1 currently.

• Advertisement

Has Sherdog put up their rankings up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

The guy has nothing left to prove, hes beaten the best and did it in style. Stood with cro cop, ground with nog. He beat people at their own game. All the experts KNOW that fedor is the best.

When wanderlei silva says nobody wants to fight fedor, then nobody wants to fight fedor lol

I think yes he is past his prime but he has nothing left to prove.

After watching UFC 116 i actually think fedor would kill lesnar, carwin would do better but i think the future heavyweight legend is cain valasquez

kid chaos wrote: »
    The guy has nothing left to prove, hes beaten the best and did it in style. Stood with cro cop, ground with nog. He beat people at their own game. All the experts KNOW that fedor is the best.

When wanderlei silva says nobody wants to fight fedor, then nobody wants to fight fedor lol

I think yes he is past his prime but he has nothing left to prove.

After watching UFC 116 i actually think fedor would kill lesnar, carwin would do better but i think the future heavyweight legend is cain valasquez

Like Fedor's management let him fight those guys.

Anyway has the above have to do the thread unless you are conceding he isnt #1 anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He beat Sylvia when Sylvia was top 5, beat Arlovski when Arlovski was top 3. He has beaten the best in pride. He is the best. In MMA anyone can beat anyone. Fedor beats every fighter in the world 9 times out of 10, Werdum got his 1 out of 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

As a Fedor fan as much as it pains me to say it perhaps it is time to say he's probably not #1 anymore. If he fights Barnett or Overeem soon and wins maybe he should be back on top.
    That said Lesnar wasn't very convincing against Carwin who if you look at his record hasn't fought top competition either. People probably think he's number one cause he was dominant for sooooooooooo long fighting the best heavyweights in the world at the time in pride. I agree that perhaps now he isn't #1 but it's still close. :cool:

Ps. All the MMA sites published new rankings and they now consider Lesnar #1.

He beat Sylvia when Sylvia was top 5, beat Arlovski when Arlovski was top 3. He has beaten the best in pride. He is the best. In MMA anyone can beat anyone. Fedor beats every fighter in the world 9 times out of 10, Werdum got his 1 out of 10.

How does any of this make him #1 still?
    Kazooie wrote: »
    if you look at his record hasn't fought top competition either.

What?

Apart from Mir and now Lesnar obviously. Not talking anything away from Carwin, the guys a beast but was making the point he hasn't always fought the top competition either.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Its as simple as this: Fedor WAS by far the best fighter in the world 5 YEARS AGO!! There isnt anybody in the world that can argue otherwise!!

Just because he lost to werdum isnt why he should not be considered the top fighter in the world, he hasnt been top for at least 3 years!!

Arlovski was the top competition Fedor has faced since he fought Cro Cop, and arlovski was winning that fight until he thought he was still fighting Roy Nelson and went and threw a flying knee :D!!

Werther or not he'll be best in the world again depends on how he cums back from this loss!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

What?

He has fought and beat a huge amount of the highest calibre heavyweights, high calibre heavyweights being those who have beat other high calibre heavyweights. Guys like CroCop, Big Nog, Arlovski, Silvia.

Usually the debate is that he can't be in the top guy because he isn't beating the UFC's current crop, Fedor's defenders would say that the UFC's top heavyweights like Carwin and Lesnar have only beaten a few notable fighters between them, whereas Fedor has beaten an awful lot more, and remained undefeated until his recent loss to Werdum.

Logically it makes no sense at all that he is considered #! due to the fact he hasnt fought anybody of note from what i can see is a long time.

The only comeback people seem to have is he did this and that against so and so but that was along time ago...in no other sport would nosense like that be tollorated while discussing who was the best individual or team ao again i ask what is the diff in mmas

I think there is just alot of fans who are still romantic about the memories of how good fedor was say 5years ago..while mma has moved on quite abit skillwise in that short time maybe fedor is a relic of an older time in mma.

• Advertisement

Like Fedor's management let him fight those guys.

Anyway has the above have to do the thread unless you are conceding he isnt #1 anymore.
    Your right, i got a bit off topic there, MABEY he is not number one but which top org MMA champion has got better with losses,

Frankie Edgar got beat by Gray maynard who imo is not top 5 in that weight class.
    GSP got beat by Hughes and came back a beast then he got clipped by Matt Serra and now we are seeing the best Gsp EVER
    Anderson Silva got beat by a guy who weighed 20lbs lighter than him in pride came to UFC and dominated
    Shogun got submitted by Babalu and by forrest griffin and is argubly better now than ever
    Lesnar sub by mir then came back and nearly ended his life

Styles make fights, fedor i think would beat brock easily but i think he would have a harder time with carwin

i guess what im trying to say is we will just have to wait and see what way he comes back, some guys come back even better and some guys take it bad, sylvia, arlovski ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Cause it shows that the argument that he has fought no one since pride does not wash. Werdum himself said Fedor is the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Fedor will not be back #1 for a while. Lesnar has Cain next and the winner will go or stay at #1 and it looks like the winner gets the Winner of Dos Santos / Nelson. Who ever comes off that mini tournament is going to be #1 in the World particularly if Dos Santos wins because he did demolish Werdum at UFC 90 in late 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

As much as seeing Fedor fight excites me, I think this is seriously a case of his managment keeping him away from top contenders to preserve the idea that he is #1.

Regardless of wether he would beat anyone in the UFC HW division, the fact that he wouldn't immediately be top dog and may be seriously challenged would seriously harm his appeal (assuming his recent loss hasn't already done that.

To use his PRIDE victories as an example of why he is still #1 is silly, just look at Cro Cop - a shell of the man from PRIDE.

I think the nature of his victories preserves the mythology even more. Just look at that Randelman fight. Most fighters would have trouble walking again, let alone winning the fight after that slam.

Keeping him out of UFC preserves his position amongst the fans as an Enigma. Alot of fighters have entered the UFC and been made to look ordinary, or at least mortal. If this happens with fedor, the money his people make of him could dwindle.

Kettle316 wrote: »
    arlovski was winning that fight until he thought he was still fighting Roy Nelson and went and threw a flying knee :D!!

It's been proven otherwise. At most AA landed a couple of glancing shots and the push kick before he got KOd in that fight. At the time it did look like he was doing well but wasn't landing anything. Fedor landed the only significant shot in the fight in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

When Fedor fought Sylvia, Sylvia was Top 5/10 in the world and was seen as a legitimate threat to Fedor. When Fedor fought Arlovski, Arlovski was Number 2 in the world and was thought to have the best striking of any heavyweight. Fedor was scheduled to fight Barnett, a regular in the Top 3, which fell through because of Barnett's failed drug test. When Fedor fought Rogers, Rogers was Number 6 at heavyweight, ahead of Carwin. Werdum was ranked between 8-10 at the time of their fight. So, in less than 24 months, Fedor beat two top 5 fighters, one Top 10 and lost to one in the Top 10. Fedor hasn't had a significant fight in 5 years? Bull****. Arlovski, Werdum and Sylvia are all guys that LEFT the UFC for bigger paydays, they didn't get cut.

People need to realise Lesnar and Carwin for what they are. Very good athletes with alot of potential but the only reason they're seen as being Top 3 guys is because of hype the UFC has put behind them. Lesnar's stand up against Carwin was some of the worst you'll see at this level and Carwin gassed after 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

There is 2 ways of looking at it, as of late brock has been the in form fighter, although in my opinion still hasn't had a great fight considering his potenial, but still a deserved champion and maybe he should be number 1. Then there is Fedor who is the best heavyweight of all time and maybe some of his last fights havn't been the highest caliber heavyweights but that is due to the fact that only 4 of the top 10 aren't in the UFC including Fedor one of which just beat him. I think the only way to truly know is for them to fight. If we are every lucky enough to see it happen

But Brock hasn't been in form, he's only fought once in a year in a really unconvincing performance against a guy who was getting outboxed by Gonzaga in his fight before Mir.

Jayo_M wrote: »
    But Brock hasn't been in form, he's only fought once in a year in a really unconvincing performance against a guy who was getting outboxed by Gonzaga in his fight before Mir.

Agreed. I guess I worded that wrong he is the one on the winning streak.:D. And outboxed is an understatement :p

• Advertisement

Lets not for get he was suffering with diverticulitis in his bout with Mir and he said in an interview after the Carwin fight that pretty much he pretty much had to start at the beginning in terms of his training for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

First let me lay my cards out, I still think fedor is the baddest man on the planet.

I think the reason why he remained in the top spot because he genuinely earned it ~5 years ago and was basically unbeatable at Heavy weight. He was fighting all the best fighters regularly and beating them decisively. In the UFC, they were inferior fighters beating each other, no one really was standing out as undisputed champion.

Since 2005, Fedor's quality of opponent has genuinely diminished with the old top up against bigger names such as Sylvia and Arloski. The quality of the UFC heavy weight has also improved, however, it is still, at the end of the day a mixture of

Rookies - Carwin, Lesnar, Dos santos and Velasquez
    B level fights - Gonzaga, Cheik Congo etc.
    Past it Vets - Randy, Nogeuria, Crocop

Styles make fights and unusually Fedor got caught in a submission that basically, right now, out of all the guys I mentioned, only Werdum could catch him in. On a different day, Fedor could smash through Werdum in the stand up.

So basically Fedor stayed on top because he earned that spot and by not losing, nobody really did enough to dislodge him. By losing, we have to use the maths and stats to reassess his standing and maybe he'll end up some where in mid-table. But a win against Werdum, then Overeem, then a swift but brutal run through these UFC hot shops and he'll be back where he belongs, undisputed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Fedor is number one.

People say he hasn't beaten the best, he has beaten what was put in front of him. Brock didn't beat the best to get his title shot. Brock is considered number 1 in the world after 6 fights....Brock and number 1 should not be talked about until he has won SIXTEEN fights.

If fedor had of beaten Werdum we wouldn't be talking about this. But Fedor made a mistake, he didn't explode when he escaped the arm bar, his fault but a split second judgement does not knock you off the spot you have held for 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Fedor is number one.
    People say he hasn't beaten the best, he has beaten what was put in front of him. Brock didn't beat the best to get his title shot. Brock is considered number 1 in the world after 6 fights....Brock and number 1 should not be talked about until he has won SIXTEEN fights..

The same rationale should apply to both and not just whichever way it suits your argument.
    If fedor had of beaten Werdum we wouldn't be talking about this. But Fedor made a mistake, he didn't explode when he escaped the arm bar, his fault but a split second judgement does not knock you off the spot you have held for 5 years.

The scary thing is that Fedor has reached his peaked and is in decline (IMO) same for Couture, Big Nog but Lesnar is still learning and getting better. Same for Velasquez.

Fedor is number one.

People say he hasn't beaten the best, he has beaten what was put in front of him. Brock didn't beat the best to get his title shot. Brock is considered number 1 in the world after 6 fights....Brock and number 1 should not be talked about until he has won SIXTEEN fights.

Exactly, putting Brock No.1 is just plain stupid, he was close to losing his second fight from six the last night. Too many people are letting ''the belt'' hold more water then it actually does. Your talking RECORDS here, not having a belt he was undoubtedly fast tracked for.

IMO some of the other UFC heavy weights could challenge his record, leaving belts to the side and judging on fights alone.

Brock has a LONG way to go before he can claim to be no.1 in the world, he was badly exposed the last night.
    Killme00 wrote: »
    The scary thing is that Fedor has reached his peaked and is in decline (IMO) same for Couture, Big Nog but Lesnar is still learning and getting better. Same for Velasquez.

On the basis of what?.... it's not like he went out and got smashed in every sector, thrown around, guard passed, taken down with ease, beat up. He followed Werdum into his guard thinking he hurt him, but Werdum wasn't hurt and caught him out. Don't see how you can claim someone is going downhill when they get caught in a submission after taking zero strikes and not even being taken down.
    I think your saying that based on age, going on performances you could say Brock is in decline, his last fight wasn't as impressive as the Mir 2 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

On the basis of what?.... it's not like he went out and got smashed in every sector, thrown around, guard passed, taken down with ease, beat up. He followed Werdum into his guard thinking he hurt him, but Werdum wasn't hurt and caught him out. Don't see how you can claim someone is going downhill when they get caught in a submission after taking zero strikes and not even being taken down.
    I think your saying that based on age, going on performances you could say Brock is in decline, his last fight wasn't as impressive as the Mir 2 one.

You're spot on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I have been an mma fan ever since the first ultimate fighter appeared on my tv 5 years ago on bravo thursday evenings i believe, that show really got me into the sport and I remember back then I was watching highlight videos of fighters like vitor belfort, wanderlei, chuck and fedor and I was understanding that the ufc isn't the only organisation that does this sport, after the ultimate fighter finished I was hooked! Pride always grabbed my attention more than the UFC did because of the ring and the huge lights and massive crowds, those fights were epic! My favourite fight still is Big Nog vs Bob Sapp, even though it is considered a freak show now but at the time it was great.

What I noticed was that the heavyweight division in the UFC sucked while pride had all the best heavyweights and now I get on to the reason why I think Fedor is still number 1, Fedor went 14-0 in Pride FC when it had the best of the best in the heavyweight division, not only was he small and undersized but he beat monsters at their own game, he stood with guys like Semmy Schilt and Cro Cop beat guys on the ground like Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman and Big Nog (when they were in their prime). And in the past 2 years he defeated Arlovski, Sylvia and Brett Rogers who were all considered top 10 at the time, its just unfortunate that these guys crumbled after they fought fedor, because if these guys were on big winning streaks before they were beaten. Fedor lost to Werdum but I can put my money on a rematch being the complete opposite. Fedor might be a number 2 at the moment simply because he lost his last fight but Brock and Shane fight told me that Brock has so many holes in his game, his stand up is horrible and he looked terrible off his back, he does have a good chin but he was lucky that shane gassed because if shane came out in the second in the same condition it would of been over very quickly. Fedor should fight in Dream against Barnett now or fight against Bigfoot Silva.

On a side note the future heavyweight stars rest in Junior dos Santos and Cain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I wouldn't be 100% sure of a Brock win over Fedor, or a Fedor win over Brock. Right now I think I would rank Brock as #1 though. Who cares if he got fast-tracked? So did Dan Hardy but of course he couldn't defeat GSP because he'ld been rushed through prematurely. Brock DID beat Couture so how could you say his shot was premature?? The UFC can show bias all it wants with selecting who fights who, but ultimately it's up to the athletes themselves to win when the cage-door closes which is exactly what Brock has been doing!

As for his record being thin - look at his opponents and their records! His 5-1 would kick the pants off many other people's records regardless of the small number of fights. I think alot of people here are showing very clear bias against Lesnar - if he was a no-one who just showed up on the scene with no WWE background the same guys would be hugging his nuts and calling for him to get a title shot!

M1 Global's investers have lost faith in Fedor it seems:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/6/1554710/report-collapse-and-panic-at-m-1

Maybe there is a chance of Brock vs Fedor so. Hopefully so all the arguments can end. Then the validaty of the how the fight ended arguments can starts

Why are people still mentioning fights that he had a humber of years ago against suposedly top 5 fighters??

He hasnt fought or done anything of note over the past few years so shouldnt that automatically ruke him out of being regarded as #1???

And i dont understand why every one is going mad about lesnar...granted he looked bad in the first round but correct me if im wrong he did survive it and he did win the fight?? is it not a true sign of a champion that he has the ability to overcome adversity and win??? im not the biggest fan of his but he gained my respect after that fight and the way he handled himself afterwards with carwin...who may i add is still a beast and not to be written off like everyone else is doing on this thing.

basically as a new fan of mma i think i can come in without any romantic ideas of a fighter and judge them all fairly on what i see is happening now and i honestly find it hard to even put fedor near my top 5 cause theres nothing impressive of his over the past few years to see!

• Advertisement

fedor was getting outstruck by arlovski then sent him to spartaland, cant judge by the first 3 minutes of a fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

And i dont understand why every one is going mad about lesnar...granted he looked bad in the first round but correct me if im wrong he did survive it and he did win the fight?? is it not a true sign of a champion that he has the ability to overcome adversity and win???
    He survived and won the fight but the way he did it wasn't too awe inspiring, Carwins gas tank had a major role to play in Brock "overcoming adversity".
    Any heavyweight with decent striking will be licking their lips at the state of his stand up.

kid chaos wrote: »
    fedor was getting outstruck by arlovski then sent him to spartaland, cant judge by the first 3 minutes of a fight

That's a myth, there are a lot of gifs out there slowing down the exchanges and it shows the only thing Arlovski landed was the push kick before getting KO'd. Even if he was being outstruck by Arlovski, getting outstruck by one of the best strikers in the weightclass is on a higher level than getting your face rearranged by Gonzaga.

Why are people still mentioning fights that he had a humber of years ago against suposedly top 5 fighters??

He hasnt fought or done anything of note over the past few years so shouldnt that automatically ruke him out of being regarded as #1???

The fights being referred to didn't happen a number of years ago, they happened within the last 24 months. Did you miss that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

For all the lads slagging off Brock for struggling in the first round but pulling it off I presume you all saw Fedor V Bret Rogers? I Didnt see too many people slagging him off afterwards for the beating he took early on. Nope it was just straight to "he's the man" afterwards. I don't think you can say who is better at the moment, but there is some rank hyprocracy on here when it comes to comparing the two.

Well, Fedor didn't curl up in a ball as soon as he got hit and he didn't have to wait until Rogers gassed before he finished him. I'd hardly call it a beating either. He got a cut on his nose reopened and took a few shots on the ground while he was working for an armbar. That's not exactly occupying the foetal position and hoping your opponent gets tired.

He was put on the ground and GNP'd to within a couple of shots of ending the match, but recovered then won.
    Nit pick on minor details all you want but that seems pretty similar to me.
    And lets be honest, Bret Rogers is no world beater.

Brock took more shots on the ground granted, but there is a hell of a lot of similarities between them two fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

He was put on the ground and GNP'd to within a couple of shots of ending the match, but recovered then won.
    Nit pick on minor details all you want but that seems pretty similar to me.
    And lets be honest, Bret Rogers is no world beater.

The "minor" differences make all the difference so it's not nit picking. There is a huge difference between covering your face and only moving when the ref warns (Brock) and actively looking for submissions and moving dispite someone punching you (Fedor).

The only thing similar is they were both taking down and Ground and pounded. The way they responded is key. To call that minor is an ignorant statement.

He was very close to losing the fight, escaped then won.

If Brock did the exact same thing many on here would be going on about another unconvincing win and how lucky he was not to lose.
    But as it was Fedor, the close scrape was barely mentioned.

I just like to give credit where its due to all fighters based on their performance and not their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

He was very close to losing the fight, escaped then won.

If Brock did the exact same thing many on here would be going on about another unconvincing win and how lucky he was not to lose.
    But as it was Fedor, the close scrape was barely mentioned.

I just like to give credit where its due to all fighters based on their performance and not their name.

You should watch the Fedor fight again then (here it is for you). Fedor ends up on bottom, after being on top of Rogers for about thirty seconds, by being rolled over while trying a sub. He is there for about twenty seconds, the latter ten seconds of which, Rogers tries to hit him and so Fedor counters by attempting the armbar. This stops the strikes, but they end up in north south with Fedor on bottom, and then Fedor shifts Rogers off him and stands back up.
    Brock on the other hand gets clipped standing up, doesn't like getting hit, runs away, falls down and gets dominated in the fetal position for nearly three minutes straight, when he finally gets up he holds Carwin against the cage for the remaining minute or so, just having a nice rest.
    In one fight, a guy is getting hit, but he never stops attacking and quickly improves his situation. In the other fight, a guy is getting hit so he curls up in a ball for three minutes and cries for his mommy. Credit where credit is due.

• Advertisement
Advertisement