Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Brake Components on Ebay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've bought disc/pads on Ebay without any hassle but from another seller.
    Seller seems to have good feedback, if you're not sure the read through the feedback and see what others thought.

You can also try to research the parts http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=redstuff+brake+pads+review&aq=1&aqi=g3g-m1&aql=&oq=REDSTUFF+b&gs_rfai=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm not so much concerned about the pads as I am the discs. I doubt they are made by EBC for some reason. There's a lot of sellers offering high-end pads with discs that are not neccessarily manufactured by the same company who make the pads.

The price is reasonable too. I'm not thinking it's too good to be true. Just wondering if they'd be good quality discs and not ones made to a budget.

You can try http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=crnproducts+discs
    Perhaps someone here has bought their stuff.

Sweet. Thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I've bought Discs and Pads online without a hitch.

• Advertisement

If the holes for the screws on the discs don't line up with the hub, does it make a difference since since the lug nuts hold everything in place anyway?

You'll be very surprised at what those screws do when screwed in :pac:

And they do what exactly???

Hold it in.

But you'll be glad of it when you're driving down the road and the wheel comes off, then the disc.

True but what's the likelihood of the wheel comnig off? :o

• Advertisement

Really wanna take the chance? :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Those are not EBC Discs.

From Camskill.co.uk (yes they do EBC brake stuff too!)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m31b0s0p0

(Get part number here: www.ebcbrakesdirect.com )

"turbo groove" discs for MX8:
    Front Discs £180
    Rear Discs £134
    Front Red stuff pads £93
    Rear red stuff pads £56

Total: £463.

Well worth the £64 to get the genuine article!!!

PS I have EBC turbo groove discs and green stuff pads all round my GS300, what an improvement!! Recommended

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If the holes for the screws on the discs don't line up with the hub, does it make a difference since since the lug nuts hold everything in place anyway?

Wouldn't the disc just spin around when you try to brake?

That might be a stupid question, I should be able to picture the disc better, I just did the pads on my '8 recently :)

I got the Mintex pads from camskill (http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m46b0s3898p0), they've were recommended on IrishRotary and a few other places (I think rx8ownersclub.co.uk). They do discs as well (http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m46b0s3897p0), and it looks like the lot would only be a little more expensive than the ebay bundle, and from a well trusted supplier too.

edit: Mullingar got there first

The disc would stay in place. The screw (just one on my s40) is there to hold disc in place when you take the wheel off. I might be wrong of course and there could be some other reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

biko wrote: »
    The disc would stay in place. The screw (just one on my s40) is there to hold disc in place when you take the wheel off. I might be wrong of course and there could be some other reason for it.

Thats what I was told.

There is no way that one or 2 tiny screws would keep the disc in place if the wheel "fell off". They only go in about 5-10mm into the hub.

Those screws only have 1 function, to keep the disc lined up when the wheel is taken off.

Also, The main wheel nuts also keep the disc locked into the right position too as those tiny screws would break with the small rotational force placed on them as the brakes are applied going forward to reverse

Thanks for the replies guys.

For some reason, the screws on the rear discs on my 8 were never there since I got the car. Nothing odd ever happened so that's why I think they're just there for the sake of it.

The 5 bolts along with the fact that the handbrake is always on when I take the rear wheels off makes sure the disc stays in place.

@mullingar - I knew those discs weren't EBC! Thanks for the camskill link. Will be buying from there instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Here is why I don't buy safety components from people I don't know:

Counterfeit Parts - MOTOR Information Systems
    In Nigeria, brake shoe linings made from compressed grass burst into flames when ... were seriously injured when counterfeit brake pads made of sawdust failed, ... The International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition says there are 88 Chinese ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Here is why I don't buy safety components from people I don't know:

Counterfeit Parts - MOTOR Information Systems
    In Nigeria, brake shoe linings made from compressed grass burst into flames when ... were seriously injured when counterfeit brake pads made of sawdust failed, ... The International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition says there are 88 Chinese ...

Give me a break. That article is bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I am not sure what to make of your response, but counterfeit auto parts are a major problem.

Anything that has value has been counterfeitted in China.

The article is accurate, and a quick search shows hundreds more.

I like to save money as much as anyone else, but I choose to buy safety components from people I know. How on earth could you have a problem with that?
    Please feel free to spend your money how you see fit, but you are incorrect to say that my concerns are not valid.

Advertisement