Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC voicemail

• 05-07-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I changed to UPC recently for phone and broadband. It seems like all calls go to voicemail after only a few rings. You'd have to run at breakneck speed to answer the phone in time. Is it like this for anyone else?

I've looked in the UPC handbook and it only tells you how to turn voicemail on or off, no options for how long it rings for. It's also not a setting on the phone, because a) I checked the phone and b) if I turn off voicemail using the UPC codes it rings until it rings out.

I tried ringing UPC but I just got transferred around until some guy went through the phone manual for the wrong model of phone and claimed it was a setting in there. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Does nobody else have UPC for their phone? I'd really like to know if it happens to everyone or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hi

I had a look on the UPC website and there doesn't seem to be anything there about it.

What type of phone is it? I also looked through the manual for Gigaset A160/165/260/265 models which appear to be the ones they supply, if you use the answering machine on the phone itself (I guess it's only certain models with this functionality) you can set the time before the answering machine will answer the call.

I'm not sure if there's another forum I can move this to if you don't get an answer here, possibly VoIP. Let me know if you want it moved anyway.

The phone brand is Magicbox, but it doesn't have a built-in answering machine. I know it's not the phone, it's definitely UPC diverting the call to voicemail.

Lots of people in the Broadband forum talk about having UPC, but I guess they don't read this forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms, might get a better answer here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I have the UPC phone, no problem with my viocemail.
    It rings 8 times before going into the message, the same as my old Eircom connection.

Try testing it yourself.
    Stand next to your phone and ring it with a mobile.
    See how many rings it takes before you go through (as in how many on the mobile).
    If it's 7-9 then it;s normal, and you may have to adjust the ringer on your handset as it's not activating in time.
    If it's less than 7-9 then get onto UPC.

Hope it helps.

• Advertisement

It rings exactly 6 times on the mobile, so I guess now I know what to say to UPC! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There should be some code for doing it. You would have to ring UPC though.

Their voicemail system is network-side, it's nothing to do with the settings on your handset.

Eircom use *62*(time)# to set the call forward on no reply time (voicemail divert)

I have no idea what UPC might use, it seems to use US-style command codes rather than European ones i.e. like eircom or GSM phones.

It's also possible that it's some setting on your UPC router/VoIP box.

Is there any configuration page that you can log into ?

http://192.168.1.1/ should access the configuration pages on their CISCO routers / cable phone adaptors.

Perhaps there's some kind of a user-accessible setting for call forwarding in there ?

Okay just got off the phone with technical support in UPC, apparently 6 rings is the default and there's no way to change it. He said that was the way their switchboard was set up and nothing could be done about it, I should just keep the phone nearer to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Okay just got off the phone with technical support in UPC, apparently 6 rings is the default and there's no way to change it. He said that was the way their switchboard was set up and nothing could be done about it, I should just keep the phone nearer to me.

You can just get a cheap answering machine / use a DECT phone with an answering machine and turn off voicemail.

How do I activate Voicemail?
    Lift receiver and press *76 followed by the call button (activates call forward busy).
    Press *77 followed by the call button (activates call forward no answer).To access your voicemail:
    Lift receiver
    Dial 1571 from your UPC line and follow the instructions to personalise your voicemail.
    From a non UPC line you can access by calling 01-2449805 and entering your UPC number when prompted, including the area code. How do I deactivate my Voicemail?
    Lift receiver
    Press #76 followed by the call button (deactivates call forward busy).
    Press #77 followed by the call button (deactivates call forward no answer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Does anyone know if it's possible to not use a personalised voicemail message on UPC? I really don't want one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement