Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europass for firearms

Options
  • 05-07-2010 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

Could someone please upload a link to this document or is it only available from the station?

Thanks,

Mitch.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It must be got from your local station. You will need photos also. It's a booklet not a form.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Donalmit

Thanks ezridax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

They are very old fashioned unless they have modernized them, all my details were hand written in then stamped.

I need a new one myself as the old one is out of date.

It is a pitty they cannot be got online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Unfortunately, they haven't updated or modernised the Europass.
    And for some strange reason, they don't have a form to fill in online or on paper - This would make it easier for the F/O to fill in at the station - Just make sure you get all the relevant bits filled in:

Section 3 - Particulars of the Firearms (Across both pages 4 & 5)

AND

Section 4 - Particulars of Authoristations of Firearms (Page 6)

Both myself and my F/O had no idea about filling all the relevant info in, as it would seem that neither my F/O nor myself had filled one out before. And as ever, the F/O (a sound gent and very helpful BTW) was obviously given little or no guidance on this paperwork. He knew what to do, but was unsure of the specifics. As was I.

So save yourself a return visit and make sure all the info is filled in firsttime round!:rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

So its just the local fo who does it and not off to the super?

• Advertisement

Not sure about that TBH.

I'm lucky enough that my super and my f/o are in the same station.
    It was the F/O who filled in the Europass for me,

But on closer inspection of the pass itself, I note that it is stamped with the District Superintendents Office stamp, as opposed to the station stamp - So that would lead me to believe that it's the supers' office which has to issue the europass.

Cheers for that.

boc121 wrote: »

Your FO will fill it in then have the Super sign off on it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Technically, there's no signing off on anything. There is a signature, but it's not approving anything if you follow me. The europass is an entitlement for anyone with a cert; one of the very, very, very few we have. You just walk in and ask for it. Usually the super signs it to acknowledge that it's a real document, rather than to say "yes, this person can have this".

I know it's a small thing, but we have so few entitlements, I thought we should hold onto them explicitly ;)

Correctomundo, mr. sparks!
    All holders of a current firearms cert are entitled to a Europass - So please bear in mind when you're asking for one, it's not a gift, in this case, it actually is your entitlement.

The GS will / may ask you sh1te like: "why do you need it?", "where are you planning to travel?" - If you don't mind answering, fire away - but that's just to be polite.....The details of the whys-and-wherefores of issuing the Europass are none of your F/O's business.

If you notice my earlier posts, i don't mention the "granting" or "approval" of a Europass by anyone. Just the "filling in" of details and the "issuing" of the pass.

That's all the GS are required / obliged to do.

If you hear any crap along the lines of "I'll get back to you to let you know when that's been approved" or "I'll have to check if the Super will approve/grant that" etc. etc. - Politely point out that approval doesn't come into it and you'd be delighted to pick up the pass as soon as they can run upstairs and stamp it!:D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Technically, there's no signing off on anything. There is a signature, but it's not approving anything if you follow me.

Its just a saying. :rolleyes: The same as if i said "hit the road". How long would you punch the tarmac before realising i meant for you to just leave?

Out of curiosity what would be the situation if the Super refused to sign it? Would it still allow you to travel with the firearms?

If so then there is no need for the Super to sign it in the first place.
    If not then there is some form of "authorisation" to him signing it.

So i should go to the main station instead of the local and should get it there and then. Sounds good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ezridax wrote: »
    Its just a saying. :rolleyes: The same as if i said "hit the road". How long would you punch the tarmac before realising i meant for you to just leave?
    Gosh, but you're asking the wrong person :D
    Out of curiosity what would be the situation if the Super refused to sign it?
    He would be acting illegally. At which point, you call your NGB so they can call the FPU, so they can have a quiet word, because a Super being taken to court for refusing to comply with the law in such a clear-cut case would be quite embarressing.

That's kindof the difference I was trying to get across. In so many other areas of the law, if the Super doesn't feel like it, we're pretty much out of options; but not in this case. And I think that should be more widely known.
    Would it still allow you to travel with the firearms?
    If so then there is no need for the Super to sign it in the first place.
    If not then there is some form of "authorisation" to him signing it.
    Oddly, I have travelled without one (handed it in for restamping after a licence renewal, was handed it back and told it was all fine, arrived in Finland, no updated stamp, curious customs officer), and yes you wind up in trouble because the rest of the EU expects us to abide by EU firearms law, oddly enough :D

Sparks wrote: »
    He would be acting illegally. At which point, you call your NGB so they can call the FPU, so they can have a quiet word, because a Super being taken to court for refusing to comply with the law in such a clear-cut case would be quite embarressing................................. And I think that should be more widely known.

Good point and correct. It should be more widely known.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    Good point and correct. It should be more widely known.

Cheers.

If a thread is made on it, the first google search should get it!

A job for sparkie.
    A closed thread on European firearms pass :D:D:D

Advertisement