Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you spend on football a year?

• 05-07-2010 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭

In general how much do you spend on football a year? This includes TV subscriptions to sport channels, football kits, LOI matches or trips abroad to watch matches.

I personally spent over 1000 euro on football since August last year. I went to about 10 Galway United matches last year, I went to see Man United play Sunderland at Old Trafford and paid for a Sky Sports subscription.

How much do you spend on football a year 72 votes

0 euro+
    0% 0 votes
    200 euro +
    11% 8 votes
    400 euro +
    25% 18 votes
    600 euro +
    19% 14 votes
    800 euro +
    4% 3 votes
    1000 euro +
    5% 4 votes
    5000 euro +
    27% 20 votes
    10000 euro + (Please specify amount and how you spent that much)
    6% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Does that include betting? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Does this include the amount of alcohol spent whilst watching the matches?

Coz if it is, then I don't want to know how much I spent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No alcohol or food. Just football expenses in general.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Does that include betting? :(
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Based on last season - €800. Includes season ticket to Sligo Rovers, jersey etc. Flights to Germany/tickets etc.
    But I missed a match last year because of the stupid volcano, so it would have been pushing €1000.

Edit: I'd be interested to find out who voted for €10,000, were you serious or are you just f**king with the poll?

2nd edit: I didn't read the OP right, sorry. With TV subs I am hitting around €1600.

• Advertisement

I bought an Ireland jersey, went to one United match and have subscription to Sky Sports. Just hitting the €400 mark I'd say...

Does this include footballing gear like boots and socks for playing and registration for the club? Sorry, getting it complicated now!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

0 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Dodgy internet streams and junior football for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

200+. I go to about 10-15 home Shels games a season. Im not gonna count programmes and raffle tickets etc. I watch all foreign football online so ive no subscriptions. When im bothered i play football on the astroturf for €6 and i may buy the occasional jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cork City FC Season ticket €200
    Sky Sub €300
    2 or 3 trips a season to Orient €1000 (if three but that includes food, drink, flights and hotel)

And that is an extremely conservative estimate.

Dodgy internet streams and junior football for me.
    Pauleta wrote: »
    I watch all foreign football online so ive no subscriptions. When im bothered i play football on the astroturf for €6 and i may buy the occasional jersey.

In which case how much does your BB cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

200+

Chelsea jersey, chelsea merchandise, Sky Sub and a handful of Cork City games.

Works out, at a guess , under 400 but well north of 200.

Will be more this year as I intend to go across to the Bridge for the 1st time in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

In the past 18 months I was at whatever Ireland games there have been at home bar Bulgaria cause I missed my flight :mad:, Getafe - Barca twice (end of previous season & beginning of new season), Barca - Atleti, Real Madrid - Depor, Barca - Chelsea and El Clásico at Camp Nou. I went to another couple of Getafe games in la liga but cant remember the opposition. €20 a month on satellite. Not sure what the cost is but a fair amount alright.

10,000 + please state how you spent over 10,000 euro

I reckon that one of those 10,000 + guys is Davy Keogh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

At guess I say about 2,500

Go to Ireland all home -1 away a year

Man Utd games 7-10 a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Depends. When i was a massive Shels fan and I used go to 15 or 16 games a season it would be £300 For My dad and I. When Shels were in the Cup Final, which was common in the late 1990s, it could be more expensive, as his ticket would often be £20 alone.

As a rule, Ireland games would be expensive. For some reason or another my Dad gets the blockbuster seats which can be 70/80 Euro a head. So over the course of a 5 game campaign it will cost roughly 700Euro. This doesnt inculde friendlies.

My trips to West Ham would usually involve my dad and my bro. Again, my Dad is not the type of guy who will go to London first thing in the morning, before rushing to Gatwick/Heathrow to get home on the last plane on the evening of the match. We usually take the weekend in the city, and have done so since my first visit to WH in 1999. As a result, the match tickets, hotel, internal travel (if we have Mum, public transport can often be a no-no !), external travel, meals (again my mum likes London Restaurants in Aldwych, certainly no Pie and Mash in Plastow for her !), can ensure an expensive ordeal. It would certainly hit upwards of 1500 for the trip.

On the one occasion I went on my own to Upton Park, I got a 70Euro Filight, 50Euro Ticket, Lunch Paid for by the Liberal Democrat Youth, a Post match £2.50 KFC Twister, AND A £22 Internal Public transport ticket (Gatwick express included). So all in all a one day no frills trip can cost about £140.

In terms of Television, I have a UPC Package which gives my Sky Sports and ESPN. I cant recall what the breakdown is. I have always contributed half to the bill, as my dad enjoys the channels equally. Occasionally, I used pay the 7.50 Euro fof the PPV Football. However, im glad that that is gone.

Football shirts. Dont buy em as a rule. I last bought a West Ham jersey in 2005. I purchased an Ireland Jersey which was used during the 1994 World Cup Qualification Campaign for 50Euros on http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/. This was for nostalgic reasons, and to replace the last Irish Jersey I purchased in 2001, which looked way to big on my since I shed a lot of weight.. I still use the Yellow Shelbourne Jersey from 1997/1998 which I purchased in February 1998.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Home/Away/3rd Chelsea jerseys: in or around €200 for them

Flights and Tickets to games.... (went to a good few games this season, plus had to stay over at some evening fixtures): give or take the ballpark figure of €3,000

Merchandise bought at games (I'm weak... can't resist!!!): €500 or so

Subscription to Sky Sports HD, ESPN, Setanta etc...: that's a direct debit so I've no idea, say €300 p.a.???????

So the region of €4,000 a year (last season anyway...)

But it was so worth it...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Last season:

600 quid for Shamrock Rovers annual membership. Also didn't take up the free member's season ticket and bought a season ticket as well.

Got to about half of the Rovers away games last year so that's usually 15 quid in, plus petrol money and also made a night of it once so that was a hotel too.

Payed into all of the Rovers cup games bar one last season.

Think I spent about 3-400 hundred quid last a year on Rovers merchandise.

Went to every Ireland home qualifier and friendly in the last campaign. Most were 70 IIRC, but we changed to 55 (iirc) quid seats later in the campaign.

Didn't get over to Manchester last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Not a lot, its mostly Sky and ESPN subscriptions, and jerseys and merchandise.

I'm finished buying jerseys in the shop, cheap online jerseys FTW!

How much would the TV subs add up to in a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

mars bar wrote: »

That's a lot of money just to say 'hello' :(

I reckon €1000 or so. Includes trip to Manchester & some Irish home matches, general merchandise (t-shirts, jerseys, scarves, etc). Cost of games on astroturf, football boots, etc. Hope to be able to afford a season ticket in a few seasons time, rather than odd trips here and there. That'll obviously increase the cost a nice bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He says hello BTW.

Last season I saw stoke at home 4 times £150gb, Liverpool at home 6 times £250gb for tickets (£100gb travel), Villa at home once (ticket was free and got a lift), Telford at home a load of times, tenner at the gate (bout a ton), shrewsbury twice 50 quid all in, West Brom twice, one free ticer and travel, other about thirty and I drove. Drove to france to watch Henry cheat us, ticket was €40, travel and accommodation £150gb. Have also had to travel all around the bleeding place to play on the weekends (say about a ton without drinking after the game) 300 quid a year for tv subs, jaysus, I have never added it all up like that before.

Hope the missus does not look at this.

Forgot boots, go through about 4 pairs a year.

I do get a few quid back in for reffing mind, will say about 200 for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

5k+ for me, thankfully the missus knows about it as she was with me for a significant portion of it but it's a lot of cash whatever way you look at it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Agreed, that is a fair whack, when I was a season ticket holder I used to be up on that much, was hard to justify though and I never saw the kids (which was not all bad obviously). At least your spend is a part of a joint venture that way and you do not get earrache for leaving them at home etc etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

Normally depends on the CL draw and who Utd get. I try to go to as many away games in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Agreed, that is a fair whack, when I was a season ticket holder I used to be up on that much, was hard to justify though and I never saw the kids (which was not all bad obviously). At least your spend is a part of a joint venture that way and you do not get earrache for leaving them at home etc etc :)

This is very true, she still brings it up every year when renewal time comes around though :)

The way I see it I'm buying memories, good and bad. There'll be plenty of times I recall the euphoria of Moscow and the the abject despair of Rome as well as everything in between.

As the ad says some things are priceless, it's only money after all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Forgot boots, go through about 4 pairs a year.

I do get a few quid back in for reffing mind, will say about 200 for the year.

4 pairs? Jaysus, but I can understand if you play a lot and do a bit of refereeing too. If you just referee, then your annual income goes right back into four pairs of boots.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Spent over a grand last year, mostly due to a trip to Austria for the Salzburg game.

This year a trip to London for the Carling Cup final is the main expense, only bought an Italy jersey this year, and haven't been to as many LOI games as I'd like, only 4 so far. Drogs away, Fingal away, Setanta Cup Final and Rovers at home. I'd say it's over a grand this year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I usually spend between 4 to 6 grand a year on liverpool, mainly going to aways and the big home games, however i wont be spending a penny on traveling until the two Americans are out of our club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

how do you guys value a sky sports sub at 300-400€ a year? I thought the standard sky sports sub was around 55€ a month (SD only)? Thats at least 660€ a year!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Does this include matchday things? Progammes, half-time raffle tickets, etc...?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

DazMarz wrote: »
    Home/Away/3rd Chelsea jerseys: in or around €200 for them

Flights and Tickets to games.... (went to a good few games this season, plus had to stay over at some evening fixtures): give or take the ballpark figure of €3,000

Merchandise bought at games (I'm weak... can't resist!!!): €500 or so

Subscription to Sky Sports HD, ESPN, Setanta etc...: that's a direct debit so I've no idea, say €300 p.a.???????

So the region of €4,000 a year (last season anyway...)

But it was so worth it...:D

I would be around this myself , prob a little higher, around the 5K mark , got a lot of games in last season watching chelsea also followed the Irish team , with flights and accommodation you dont really notice it add up until you sit down at the end of the year and do up the figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Iago wrote: »
    5k+ for me, thankfully the missus knows about it as she was with me for a significant portion of it but it's a lot of cash whatever way you look at it :(

Is that for the pair of ye? Seems an awful lot.

I'm splitting a season ticket this year so €300ish for that + flights on top I'm guessing €1000 for the year as I rarely/never stay overnight.

Last season it was about 1500+. I went to 10-15 games but was paying €70 a ticket to sit in the Stretford from viatout.

Season Ticket - €100
    Progamme from every Shels match - €120
    Raffle Tickets @ home matches - €150
    Goalden Goal for the season - €200
    Away trips - €1000
    Mercandise - €130

€1700 total. Roughly that anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »
    Last season:

600 quid for Shamrock Rovers annual membership. Also didn't take up the free member's season ticket and bought a season ticket as well.

Got to about half of the Rovers away games last year so that's usually 15 quid in, plus petrol money and also made a night of it once so that was a hotel too.

Payed into all of the Rovers cup games bar one last season.

Think I spent about 3-400 hundred quid last a year on Rovers merchandise.

I'd say it gets well over 1,000 easily. Stayed overnight in Cork last season, €600 on membership + trips to Derry, Cork, Sligo that haven't been done this season.

I rather not look deeper than that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've gone for €10k on two conditions:

1. I get to include any food or drink bought on the night (or trip away if it's in Europe)

2. I get to assume work or family pressures don't curtail my trips like the last 18 months.

3 years ago a home+away season ticket for Spurs cost me €1900, plus almost all of my cup tickets were extra on top of that (roughly another €400). On top of that I managed 30+ games, many of them over nights or two/three day Euro trips.

A single Euro trip to Tel Aviv cost me €1000 with flights and hotel bearing the brunt.

I'd be tipping the €10k mark with that.

• Advertisement

I've gone for €10k on two conditions:

1. I get to include any food or drink bought on the night (or trip away if it's in Europe)

2. I get to assume work or family pressures don't curtail my trips like the last 18 months.

3 years ago a home+away season ticket for Spurs cost me €1900, plus almost all of my cup tickets were extra on top of that (roughly another €400). On top of that I managed 30+ games, many of them over nights or two/three day Euro trips.

A single Euro trip to Tel Aviv cost me €1000 with flights and hotel bearing the brunt.

I'd be tipping the €10k mark with that.

:eek:

Dedication or madness?!

:eek:

Dedication or madness?!

As you all know my ranting on Irish English club fans, but that's dedication and is what fans are meant to do, go to games, etc... fairplay therecklessone.;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Im a poor student so not a huge amount :o Student tickets and don't always go to away games if I don't have a lift (having the majority of away games in Leinster helps :D)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Season Ticket - €100
    Progamme from every Shels match - €120
    Raffle Tickets @ home matches - €150
    Goalden Goal for the season - €200
    Away trips - €1000
    Mercandise - €130

€1700 total. Roughly that anyway.
    Im a poor student so not a huge amount :o Student tickets and don't always go to away games if I don't have a lift (having the majority of away games in Leinster helps :D)

You have it easy, I'm a student and we have hardly any away games in Leinster.;)

Advertisement