Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB port blew up - solutions?

• 05-07-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭

A few days ago I was unplugging my webcam from my USB port and a small section of the USB port came out with the plug. A few flames/sparks came out and the USB port is now unusable. I've got a few external HDs, a webcam, a few other things that need USB port access so this is fairly annoying.

Whats the best way to get around this? I have a working firewire port so was thinking I could maybe get some sort of convertor to let me plug my USB devices into this? Is that possible? If not, am I looking at having to buy some sort of new network card for my PC?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Blut2 wrote: »
    A few days ago I was unplugging my webcam from my USB port and a small section of the USB port came out with the plug. A few flames/sparks came out and the USB port is now unusable. I've got a few external HDs, a webcam, a few other things that need USB port access so this is fairly annoying.

Whats the best way to get around this? I have a working firewire port so was thinking I could maybe get some sort of convertor to let me plug my USB devices into this? Is that possible? If not, am I looking at having to buy some sort of new network card for my PC?

The USB ports on your case are destroyed, you would need to buy a USB PCI card (there cheap enough) and you could buy a USB extension cable to leave towards the front of the case making it easy to plug & play devices without needing to use the back ports!

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Was it the ports on the front or the back?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If it's a desktop computer, then you need something like this, as already mentioned.

If it's a notebook, then you could use something like this

You don't have any other USB ports available? Some desktops have four at the back, and two in the front.

Even if you are already using them, you could add a usb hub

(I'm sure none of these are the cheapest prices, just the first ones that came up in google!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Blut2 wrote: »
    A few flames/sparks came out and the USB port is now unusable.

Not sure I'd be happy using a piece of electronics that had electricity arcing out of it ! The USB port is only supposed to be 5 volts.
    The motherboard, maybe 12 volts.

The power supply is where the 240 volts gets converted down to manageable levels. Did it trip out the earth switch to your ESB supply ?
    Is the PC's plug properly connected to the earth wire ?

If you see electricity sparking out, then something doesn't sound quite right there.

I'd be cautious about leaving that PC on unattended, especially if it's near anything flammable (carpets, curtains).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Blut2

It was the two ports in the front. I actually completely forgot about the ports at the back, too used to these new fangled convenient cases with their front-side USB ports I guess. Found 4 more back there. I'll buy a USB hub and run it out from there to provide easier access, problem solved. Thanks all for the advice!

As regards safety - no it didnt trip the switch on the house electricity, just the flames/sparks. As far as I can see the PC's plug is fine. I've been watching it fairly closely since it happened and there have been no more sparks/flames over the course of a few days usage, only when I initially took out the connected usb device. I think I must have just pulled out the USB device a little roughly and it pulled out a loose part of the port..hopefully anyway. I'll keep an eye on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Normally the Bakelite insulator breaks if you unplug the USP device plug at too acute an angle.

Lucky enough not to have shorted anything on the Mobo.

Those front USB ports are connected via a header plug on the Mobo so you would be as well to unplug the header so as nobody else will inadvertently plug a USB device into them and cause damage.

Just pop the case cover and follow the leads from the front USB ports down to the Mobo & unplug it (Tie the lead back so as it doesn't ever get caught in the fan.)

You could also get something like this if your case has a free 3.5" front bay

31uihg6sydlsl500aa30077.jpg

Link:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement