Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cna I get Assistance when not paying rent..?

• 05-07-2010 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I'm staying with a friend in Dublin but not paying rent. He has a spare room.
    I have been getting Jobseekers benifit (as casual work) up till now. But i have to aply for Jobseekers assistance (as casual work) now. Does it matter that I'm not paying rent? Will that affect what I get?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

I doubt you would be entiteld to anything unless you have a formal lease agreement with your "landlord" and meet the requirement of rent supplement i.e in need of rental accommodation etc.

If you were to start paying rent to your mate then perhaps you would be entitled to rent supplement and he your mate could declare the rent under the rent a room scheme up to €10,000 is exempt from tax however this would depend on whether he owns the house or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Unlike the UK, where the basic dole is not considered to contain an element of housing costs, the situation is a bit ambiguous in Ireland.

Basically, if you are living rent-free, the normal dole is what you get, no more and no less.

If you do have leased rent to a non family member or a mortgage to pay, then you can claim rent allowance, however, they would deduct the first 25 euros or so off your rent for you to pay out of your dole.

So if you friend decided to ask you for 70 euros a week, and you get rent allowance, you'd get only 45 euros a week. However, your pal could put you down under the rent-a-room scheme so he wouldn't be taxed as extra income.

It might not be a bad idea to do, but it wouldn't be a big windfall either as max rent for sharing is only 44-90 euros a week depending on where you are. The max in Dublin is 90 per week, about 66 a week in Cork, so unless you live in Dublin, it may net very little. Might help you both with bills though as 2 people living in one house tend to consume more.

Advertisement