Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past tenant big bill

Options
  • 05-07-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys got the phone bill today off over 150 euro for a past tenant alone. Now it turned out I had to keep his deposit for other bills unpaid so im still down here.

I have a reference from his sister with her address etc. Can I apply anywhere to get this money back apart from them two.

Bare in mind im a landlord living in the property.

regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First off talk to him.

As this is a shared domestic expense, I think there is a possibility of using the small claims court otherwise its district court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

hi victor. done the talking part. also got the texts from him before hand saying wait till u get the bill with calls to america bulgaria and israel hahaha. his exact words

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

who's the name on the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Mine as I live there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

This won't be easy to recoup to be honest. With your name on the bill there's nothing to say who made the calls. About all you have are those texts as way of proof. You can threaten or actually pursue court action if you think it's worthwhile.

It's worth bearing in mind that if your name is on the bill you're responsible for the charges that appear on it, and getting anyone else to chip in will rely on their goodwill and honesty. This dolt you had in your house could have got away cleanly if he hadn't been dumb enough to text you.

There must have been a lot of bills for a lot of services if it ate the whole deposit, how much was it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement