Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lennon

Options
  • 05-07-2010 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all.

New here, but a Spurs fan through thick and thin since the 70’s.

Just wondered what your views were on Lennon in the World Cup. I think he did alright in the first two games but got no decent service at all. He seems to be have been unfairly criticised by the press and pundits since. Just hope it doesn’t knock his confidence.

I really think with a fully fit and firing Lennon on the right and Bale on the left we can worry any absolutely any defence in Europe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

jonp wrote: »
    Hi all.

New here, but a Spurs fan through thick and thin since the 70’s.

Just wondered what your views were on Lennon in the World Cup. I think he did alright in the first two games but got no decent service at all. He seems to be have been unfairly criticised by the press and pundits since. Just hope it doesn’t knock his confidence.

I really think with a fully fit and firing Lennon on the right and Bale on the left we can worry any absolutely any defence in Europe?

TBH dont think anyone in the England camp done themselves any favours at the WC. Didnt think Lennon played that well, they played quite narrow and as you say service to him wasnt great. The main thing that worried me was that his end product was pretty poor - before last season this was always the main issue with him. Hopefully will be back firing on all cylinders come Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd say the problems in the England camp were as bad as they are with the French tbh but they just have better PR.

Look at their last group game they were as bad as they were in the first two but the BBC and English press went on a frenzy of how they were back. I think the RTE panel were actually laughing at the interviews with Defoe and Capello after the game.

I honestly think that it's creeping in that players only care about the 50-60k a week from their clubs and bust their bollix for them much like Lennon did last year.

Maybe I'm wrong, I actually really felt bad for the spurs players after the Germany game.

Lennon did not deserve the slack he got though, sure he was poor but other players were shocking by any stanndards such as Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

jonp wrote: »

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think Johnson was the reason he did poorly. Lennon needs to be given license to roam and he couldn't do that with that liability behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

I was so delighted Dawson didn't get into the England team after Carraghers suspension. It could have ruined his confidence for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

golfball37 wrote: »
    I was so delighted Dawson didn't get into the England team after Carraghers suspension. It could have ruined his confidence for years.

I wasn't :/ I think Upson was at fault for at least 3 of the goals Germany scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Kold wrote: »
    I think Johnson was the reason he did poorly. Lennon needs to be given license to roam and he couldn't do that with that liability behind him.

100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    100% correct

Bit harsh blaming Johnson. They were all poor including Lennon. Against the states , he got the ball several times in the first half, and seemed afraid to go at the full back, possibly a sign of the nerves and pressure the whole camp were under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Bit harsh blaming Johnson. They were all poor including Lennon. Against the states , he got the ball several times in the first half, and seemed afraid to go at the full back, possibly a sign of the nerves and pressure the whole camp were under.

pressure my ass. as johnny giles said the last day pressure is the most over used word in football. these guys play football almost every day of their life and play in front of huge crowds day in / day out and they dont feel "pressure". the only extra emotion they should feel when playing for their country is "pride". the problem with england is their coach and his inability to play a left winger like joe cole , his insistence on playing heskey and playing gerrard and lampard in the team together when its clear they cant play together. look at spain, they dont play fabregas just cos he is class, he dont fit in the team so he dont start, simple

capello also dosent pick players based on their form, he picks them because of their past and how the english media rate them. why not play joe hart and michael dawson. hart had a stormer of a season, so did dawson. tevez said that dawson was the best defender he has EVER played against, did capello not see that comment, surely that comment is all he needed to play dawson, but no, he leaves him on the bench and plays a 33 yr old scouser who cant run 10 yds without nearly getting a banger

their own fault and its nothing to do with "pressure"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

mickman wrote: »
    tevez said that dawson was the best defender he has EVER played against
    Any chance of a link to that article? Not disbelieving you, i'd just like to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Kiith wrote: »
    Any chance of a link to that article? Not disbelieving you, i'd just like to read it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A66488502

http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-city-striker-tevez-spurs-defender-dawson-best-i-have-faced-767161

Advertisement