Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drum microphones

• 05-07-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

hey guys, doing our first gig in a few weeks and kinda clueless about the whole setting up mics thing so would anyone know whats the best type to get and how many to get? was looking on thomann there and the guide they have for drum mics.. wouldnt be looking to spend an awful lot but would want fair enough quality if thats possible! thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

for someone doing a first gig , you dont need to go buying a set of drum mics.

the min drum to mic up is the kick , as it needs to be iced even in small pubs .
    the snare toms and cymbals will be fine in small places

you can do this with an sm57 or an sm58 ,
    if you want you can go the whole hog and buy a dedicated kick mic like the akg d112 or the shure beta 52.

only in large venues will you need to mic the snare / and the toms / cymbals
    and most places already have the mics you need for this .

if you are a band that brings its own pa - then i suggest getting

1/ kick mic ( akg d112 or shure 52 )
    2/ snare mic ( sm57 )
    3/ tom mics ( seinheiser e604 or shure sm57 or shure sm58 )

you will needs stands and cables as well.

4/ overheads at a push ( not really needed if you play cymbals loud )
    the akg c 1000 are cheap and cheerful .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭goblin59

hey, what price range have you got and what size of kit is it? i can write you up a list based on that information of what to get and where to put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

DaDumTish wrote: »

the min drum to mic up is the kick , as it needs to be iced even in small pubs .

if you want you can go the whole hog and buy a dedicated kick mic like the akg d112 or the shure beta 52.

2/ snare mic ( sm57 )

Just to this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

DaDumTish wrote: »

2/ snare mic ( sm57 )

well this would be a pretty large venue, its an underage disco thing so it would be a niteclub-style place. and yes we have a pa..

so for pubs and stuff just a bass drum mic would suffice?

goblin59 wrote: »
    hey, what price range have you got and what size of kit is it? i can write you up a list based on that information of what to get and where to put it.

well it would be a 5 piece kit (2 rack toms, 1 floor) with a ride, and 2 crashes maybe.
    not sure about price really, would i be better off getting a fairly good set that will last or just get one for starting off? i could spend 200-300 maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 scorcoran90

Here you're prob best off just renting a few mics for the gig.get a beta 52,a 57 and maybe one overhead,two at a push if its a big place

try eq audio and events or sensible music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭goblin59

this kit here for the price range has a good frequency range
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_dc1200.htm

but id recommend picking up
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hi_10.htm
    for the hithat and leaving the condensors that come in the kit for over heads

the DM1 dynamic bass drum microphone should be placed about 2 foot away from the sound hole on the front of the bass drum skin
    the DM2 dynamic snare/tom microphones should be angled so that they face the centre of the snare/tom drum as much as they can
    the 2 DM3 condenser microphones should be placed about a foot above each cymbals

the sound due to the quality of mics wont be the greatest in the world to be honest but in a small venue theyre really there to reinforce the drum kit

ok yeah i might pick up that kit you mentioned off thomann. thanks guys for yer help! im just after thinking about the pa tho, theres only space for 5 mics on it and there would be 3 vocal mics..

is there any adapter or anything i could use to just plug eveything into one mic space on the pa? if not il just have to go with 2 mics id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

ok yeah i might pick up that kit you mentioned off thomann. thanks guys for yer help! im just after thinking about the pa tho, theres only space for 5 mics on it and there would be 3 vocal mics..

is there any adapter or anything i could use to just plug eveything into one mic space on the pa? if not il just have to go with 2 mics id say.

We had the same problem. The solution we came up with was to use another mixer we had lying around for just the drums and connect its outputs to a stereo line input. Far from ideal though, especially as the spare mixer is a pos Behringer. But until I can convince them that we don't need to mic up everything in every venue, it'll have to do.

Adyx wrote: »
    We had the same problem. The solution we came up with was to use another mixer we had lying around for just the drums and connect its outputs to a stereo line input. Far from ideal though, especially as the spare mixer is a pos Behringer. But until I can convince them that we don't need to mic up everything in every venue, it'll have to do.

hmm ok thanks for that, might use that idea if we need to. cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement