Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing the learner tabard (is it enforced?)

• 05-07-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I'm doing my theory test in a week and hopefully I'll pass and get on my bike as soon as possible. Since the end of 2007 I see that learner motorcyclists are required to a wear a fluorescent tabard with an 'L' sign on the back and front.

Since I've become aware of this, I've been keeping an eye for learner drivers wearing the tabard and so far I haven't seen any (I'm in an urban location and I see plenty of bikes pass me every day). Perhaps this is just because there are no learner drivers around, I don't know?

So I have three questions really:
    1. Are learner drivers actually wearing the tabard?
    2. Are the gardaí actually enforcing this law?
    3. And, if so, what is the penalty/fine?

It's just a vanity issue with me. It probably sounds irresponsible of me to consider not wearing it if I can get away with it but to be honest I'd just end up driving the car more often because I wouldn't want to be seen out with the massive 'L' plates on my back and front. I'd be happy to wear a fluorescent tabard and have an 'L' plate on my bike but having a big 'L' stapled to the front and back of you seems excessive.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Are learner drivers actually wearing the tabard?

No.
    Are the gardaí actually enforcing this law?

No.
    And, if so, what is the penalty/fine?

No idea, probably the same as cagers can get for having no L plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

KamiKazi wrote: »
    No idea, probably the same as cagers can get for having no L plates.

€1000 + points, seems pretty risky in case you run into a garda who decides he wants to be a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

€1000 + points, seems pretty risky in case you run into a garda who decides he wants to be a dick.

Don't give them a reason too and you will be fine. Also I doubt the car law applies to motorbikes, that would be way too clever for anybody in power to actually think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not the car law. It's non display of L plates that the fine and points are for. Cars have to display in the window, bikes on a tabard.

Has anybody else got any thoughts of this? So far there is just one person saying that I should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The L on the tabbart is not enforced normally, but it is needed for doing your test. I see you live in Cork, where they are a bit strict on the restriction on the bikes (33 bhp restriction)
    Best advice is wear a neon coloured tabbart on a restricted bike in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I'm convinced drivers are far less aggressive towards me when I don't wear it.

No tailgating, or overtaking me at crazy speeds on narrow country roads only to slow down to far less than I was doing when they overtake.

It could all be in my head of course, but it feels like the thing is a target to some drivers (gotta get ahead of the learner, they'll slow me up!).

Don't wear it anymore, don't intend to. Been through a couple of Garda checkpoints, but they haven't asked to see a license, so no idea what they'd do if I was caught not wearing it. Maybe they would have stopped me if I'd had the tabard on, as my (restricted) bike might stand out as being potentially non learner legal?

Thanks guys, that's a huge help, sets my mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

At a check point a couple of years back the Garda singled me out and pulled me into hard shoulder to check licence. He seen it was a provo so asked me where's my L vest.

I told him I don't wear it due to bad experiences on my first day of biking (while wearing the vest). Little sh*ts in their scangar bangers were driving within a foot or two of my back wheel and soccer moms overtaking dangerously in their jeeps!

He was a bit of a dick, said he will take the bike off me if he sees me again without the vest. Think he made that law up.

Never wore it or seen him again. My advice would be to put your own safety first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's a bit of a strange law, if I'm heading away on my bike for the weekend I'll normally have a rucksack on my back.

What are you supposed to do in those situations? Wear a tabbard over the rucksack? Impossible!

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    It's a bit of a strange law, if I'm heading away on my bike for the weekend I'll normally have a rucksack on my back.

What are you supposed to do in those situations? Wear a tabbard over the rucksack? Impossible!
    I would imagine that you would be expected to fasten a 'L' plate to your rucksack using safety pins or something, not that anybody would do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A very small percentage of riders comply with this law. Most guys doing their test have to buy or borrow one on the day, in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Oryx wrote: »
    A very small percentage of riders comply with this law. Most guys doing their test have to buy or borrow one on the day, in my experience.

That's what i did, i wasn't aware i needed the tabard the first year i was riding. Continued not wearing it in the second and passed my test in the third. Never had any issues about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

If you do decide to wear one, make sure you're not riding an R1 or similar (unless it's restricted of course!)....it would make you a tad conspicuous at a checkpoint! :D

I wore my L-tabard most times while a learner, and apart from losing the odd L plate off the back, it didn't bother me one way or the other. Haven't needed to wear the L since this date last year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I wore it for a while until I realised it was pretty much a bullseye :) I got soooo much less **** without it on which made it alot easier at the start. Now that I have a good bit of road confidence I would not mind wearing it too much at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

the tabbard is enforcable by the law as iv found out from my time not wearing one :),,,i agree it is a target and definately feels like one for the first few weeks of riding with it on ,,all i can say is apply for your test as soon as possible get a few lessons in and if all goes well on test day,ya will never have to winge about wearing one again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

on another note, if you were involved in an accident and were found not to be wearing the prescribed attire (L plate) would it invalidate your insurance??

Just something else to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

scorn wrote: »
    on another note, if you were involved in an accident and were found not to be wearing the prescribed attire (L plate) would it invalidate your insurance??

Just something else to think about.

Technically your insurance isn't voided, they still pay out 3rd party claims and can come after you for the money.

Since insurance companies currently are paying out for people who are riding unrestricted bikes on restricted licences, I'd say you'd be very unlucky.

I've tried searching the Irish Statute site but can't find anything about Motorcycle Learners permits. It depends on the wording they use there about the tabard and L, to see if you are riding outside the terms of your learners permit and potential insurance issues.

Advertisement