Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Sport

Options
  • 05-07-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just curious as to whether there are many lads say 18-30 age bracket out/not out that play for sports teams ( college, work etc) I'm sure there are probably loads but would like to hear your experiences and what kind of sport you play and more importantly if you're still in the closet or not.

I'm 24, out to a few friends and am thinking of taking up a sport, maybe tag rugby or something.

I'm intrigued to hear your responses, short or not so short.

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭LGiamani

esposito wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Just curious as to whether there are many lads say 18-30 age bracket out/not out that play for sports teams ( college, work etc) I'm sure there are probably loads but would like to hear your experiences and what kind of sport you play and more importantly if you're still in the closet or not.

I'm 24, out to a few friends and am thinking of taking up a sport, maybe tag rugby or something.

I'm intrigued to hear your responses, short or not so short.

Cheers...

I do'nt play any sports but I admire your courage in been open about yourself and decieding to take up sports. This is a major step to take and I hope your friends are with you all the way. I have a few straight friends but I do'nt think they would like me playing any physical sport with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

OP - if you're in Dublin and want to play rugby, have you thought of joining the Emerald Warriors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I play quite a bit of Ultimate Frisbee. Always been fairly open, never had any hassle at all - some jokes, but no more than anyone gets about anything. (To be fair, when someone's an Ultimate player, their ability to laugh at anyone else is pretty drastically reduced) There's a league going on in Herbert Park on Monday evenings all summer - it's a few weeks in now, but worth giving it a bash if you're interested in trying something a little random. Info is here: http://www.dublinsummerleague.com/

As for tag, none of my gay friends play it but quite a few straight ones do, and it sounds pretty laid back, I can't imagine you'd have any problems. I'll ask a few of them what they reckon and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭esposito

Cheers but I don't think Rainbow Warriors would be for me. I think tag is the one for me.
    Ultimate frisbee? I'm intrigued!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

^^As am I! do these frizbee's have lasers or something? :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

OP, are you implying you somehow shouldnt be doin sports if you're gay?

Do what you like

Theres heaps of sports clubs around, or termed classes with the gym [boxing, yoga, pilates etc]

unreggd wrote: »
    OP, are you implying you somehow shouldnt be doin sports if you're gay?

Do what you like

Theres heaps of sports clubs around, or termed classes with the gym [boxing, yoga, pilates etc]

Absolutely not! Sorry if it came across that way.

It shouldn't be an issue. Guess i'm just curious how many straight-acting gay guys around my age there are that are sporty.

Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

No, its fine

I meant you yourself shouldnt feel like you're not welcome at any sports clubs

Go for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

esposito wrote: »
    Cheers but I don't think Rainbow Warriors would be for me. I think tag is the one for me.
    Ultimate frisbee? I'm intrigued!

As a matter of interest why do you not think the warriors would be for you?

If it's the physicality that worries you then the warriors are involved in a tag league in Sutton rugby club on Thursday nights during the summer and would be more than welcoming if you wanted to give it a go!

stephen_n wrote: »
    As a matter of interest why do you not think the warriors would be for you?

If it's the physicality that worries you then the warriors are involved in a tag league in Sutton rugby club on Thursday nights during the summer and would be more than welcoming if you wanted to give it a go!

Thanks Stephen n but i just don't think i'd be good at rugby. At least tag is more straightforward..

• Advertisement
Advertisement